PDA

View Full Version : Question on new edition army selection

Mage
31-05-2014, 11:02
Hi guys,

I haven't been really keeping tabs on the new edition, haven't been following GW or their videos/articles nor reading too much online. Alas, can anyone tell me how army seelction works now? It all seems so confusing with stuff I have read here and there or heard.

Thanks.

BramGaunt
31-05-2014, 11:23
It's very simple. First off, you agree with your opponent on the method of army selection. There is Battleforged, and Unbound.

Battleforged is basically the same method as it was the previous edition, with the exception that you can now

- ally with yourself (meaning, a Tyranid Army could have an aditional detachment of Tyranids)
- include as many detachments as you wish
- ally with 'come the apocalypse' type relations in the allied chart

Unbound basically means: Pick up any models from your collection that you want to field. You have to declare a Warlord. All units in your army interact according to the allied chart, but that's it. So even in an unbound army, Tyranid Models would have to keep 12" distance to any model from another Codex.

Mage
31-05-2014, 12:17
Ah, so battle forged means you can take as many detachments as you want (like 3rd edition sort of), ally with yourself (so you could have Ultramarines allied with Genesis Chapter), and a slightly rejigged allies matrix and rules.

Unboud = apocalypse, kind of, with the above caveat of regigged allies/matrix.

So, what would happen to our theoretical termagant if they went within 10 inches of said unit?

alextroy
31-05-2014, 15:14
Actually Come the Apocalypse cannot deploy within 12" of each other, but are otherwise Desperate Allies.

Additionally, all units Score in 7th, with Battleforged Troops gaining a rule that prevents non-Battleforged Troops from denying them Objectives.

Vector Strike
31-05-2014, 15:57
- ally with yourself (meaning, a Tyranid Army could have an aditional detachment of Tyranids)

Not exactly. You cannot get an Allied Detachment with units from the same Faction of your Primary Detachment. So, You cannot ally Tyranids (Primary) with Tyranids (Allied). What you can do is pick any other army as Primary Combined Arms Detachment (say, Dark Angels), a Combined Arms Detachment of Tyranids and then an Allied Detachment of Tyranids. But your warlord must be a character (or any model, if you don't have a character model) from the Primary Detachment.

Additionally, all units Score in 7th, with Battleforged Troops gaining a rule that prevents non-Battleforged Troops from denying them Objectives.

There are some units that never score (those Wolves from Space Wolves, Drones from Tau Empire, etc). These still don't score, as their non-scoring rule is more advanced than the rule letting everything score.

Mage
01-06-2014, 22:25
Uh my head hurts...

Drifter00
03-06-2014, 01:48
Basically use the force org chart like you used to with minimum 1HQ and 2 troops and then fill it up as you used to and that is your primary detachment. Then you can take another 1 HQ and 2 troops from the SAME CODEX as another detachment (essentially an extra force org chart). The caveat here is that with 2 HQ and 4 troops (both minimum requirements from each force org chart added together) you now have 6 slots for elites, 6 slots for fast attack and 6 slots for heavy support (3 from each force org chart).

An example of this is I could take 2 space marine captains, 4 units of 10 tactical marines (1 hq and 2 troops from one force org chart and 1 hq and 2 troops from another force org chart, giving me 2 force org charts to organize my army with) and then I am allowed to take something like 6 vindicators to fill the heavy support slots in both force org charts and it is a completely legal, "battle-forged" list

You can also take allies from another codex just like you could in 6th, that rule didn't change.

Mage
04-06-2014, 11:10
Thanks for explaining it in such a simplified way even I can understand Drifter00 :)

Marshal
04-06-2014, 19:39
When taking battleforged lists, it should be noted that you can include as many detachments of combined arms (the old FOC setup), and these do not have to be from the same army. They grant you additional slots for the extra troop tax. You could have 3 different combined arms detachments for example made up of 3 different armies (Nids, Dark Eldar and Blood Angels for example) if you wish, or if you're not wanting to take multiple heavies or some other slot, you can take a detachment of Combined Arms and then take them as Allies with the restrictions with the allies FOC presented in the rulebook. Your warlord has to come from a combined arms detachment which turns that detachment into your primary detachment. You cannot select an allies detachment for something you have already in your combined arms detachments (can't take Nids and Dark Eldar in combined arms then take an allies of Nids for example), exceptions being marines with different chapter tactics of course.

Charistoph
04-06-2014, 23:17
Basically use the force org chart like you used to with minimum 1HQ and 2 troops and then fill it up as you used to and that is your primary detachment. Then you can take another 1 HQ and 2 troops from the SAME CODEX as another detachment (essentially an extra force org chart)....

You can also take allies from another codex just like you could in 6th, that rule didn't change.

It should be noted that no two Detachments are required to be from the same codex, even Combined Arms.

So, you can have a CAD (1 HQ, 2 Troops) from Space Marines, a CAD from Necrons, and an Allied Detachment (1 HQ, 1 Troop) from Dark Eldar.