PDA

View Full Version : Hardest man sized miniature to assemble??

Kyluro
31-05-2014, 12:34
Hi, I have just finished putting together 10 phoenix guard and boy was it time consuming and fiddly.

I just wanted to find out if there are any other models in the warhammer world were as or more difficult to assemble??

Borgomos
31-05-2014, 12:45
Posing Dark Elf Corsairs into a cohesive unit.

Kyluro
31-05-2014, 12:49
I had to number the underside of the bases so they will fit together in a unit.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Sherrokko
31-05-2014, 12:51
Personally its was white lions. I spent ages making sure the arms didn't move and look silly.

Tae
31-05-2014, 13:21
Old Skaven Clanrats

SteveW
31-05-2014, 13:33
Phoenix guard were a pain but the only models I've had to number were black Orcs. Those guys will give you nightmares.

Sent from my lumina 925 using ninja's

Feorag
31-05-2014, 13:33
Old chaos warriors! they were awful to rank up!

Epicene
31-05-2014, 15:28
Gluing the Empire Wizard together in a way that doesn't leave an ugly seam line along the back of the cape - it makes it the WORST model to assemble. Then there is the annoying hands you have to hold in place or they'll slide around the ball joint.

Never again.

Kallstrom
31-05-2014, 15:31
I am not known to have a lot of patience when it comes to puny plastic bitz that won't fit, but I hate to glue Bestigors - especially when I clipped all the bitz away from the sprues and put them in one bitzbox and don't know which arms that belong to which weapon/body etc.

It kind of is my fault.

But then I get even more angry and glue whichever arms to whichever weapon and body that I can find and don't give a Sigmar about the result.

artisturn
31-05-2014, 16:05
Grave Guard with great weapons. After only managing to assemble 3 of them,I was so frustrated I haven't bothered to finish them up. I only needed ten of them to add to the old metal ones.

Phazael
31-05-2014, 17:03
Old school wise, the Dias Daemonettes were the most fiddly things ever and so small that pinning was ridiculously hard to do with them. The plastic Clan Rats take the cake for hardest unit to rank up of old school models, unless you break every single tail off in the unit.

Newer lines? Making a ranked unit, Bloodletters are stupidly difficult to get to rank up (Horrors are a close second). Actual individual assembly, I agree with the Corsairs being the most difficult, so many small parts for such a crappy model.

underscore
31-05-2014, 17:09
Newer lines? Making a ranked unit, Bloodletters are stupidly difficult to get to rank up (Horrors are a close second).
I highly recommend round-basing them. Most of my Horror units looks like they're about to split up and head for the hills, but at least they're on there!

Personally I found the new Tzeentch Chariot Herald to be the worse... purely down to trying to glue on hands to those pathetically spindly arms.

Geep
31-05-2014, 17:16
Worst I've had to assemble are Black Orcs, purely due to ranking them up. Similarly the 6th ed starter box Orc Warriors and, especially, Orc Arrer Boyz were bad to rank (mostly 1 piece models).

In 40k, one thing I hated was hormagaunts- they're supported by a single foot, and about half of the time that foot/ankle joint snaps just from removing the model from the sprue.

dragonet111
31-05-2014, 17:22
Yes horrors and bloodletters require a pretty strong planning if you want to rank them. It's actually pretty easy but the huge drawback is you can't change the formation, my bloodletter are 5x5 and if I want to reform 6x4 it's truly an impossible mission. The horrors are the same but worst. The most annoying is I can't align with enemy units, It's my fault for not thinking beyond forming nice ranks but it's still annoying.

Evil Hypnotist
31-05-2014, 20:42
Metal Ikit Claw, what a pain!

Nubl0
01-06-2014, 01:50
Recently, I have hated gladeguard and tomb king skellies. pain in the ass to rank the gladeguard up and the skellies refuse to stay together.

peukestas
01-06-2014, 01:58
Actually, you can rank up gladeguard by putting first the staight-poised models and back those tilting backwards, trying to shoot. So, I think that dryads are a pain in the gash to rank together, followed by DE corsairs.

Bladelord
01-06-2014, 02:07
Grave Guard with great weapons gets my vote, those weedy arms are a pain in the **** getting in the right place.

Hragnar Goreskull
01-06-2014, 02:56
Bloodletters & Horrors are complete nightmare IMO

Bladelord
01-06-2014, 03:12
A friend of mine got so mad at his bloodletters so he changed their bases to round ones just so they would be able to rank up.

SteveW
01-06-2014, 04:36
A friend of mine got so mad at his bloodletters so he changed their bases to round ones just so they would be able to rank up.

That makes less than no sense. They wouldn't fit on a 25mm square base but would on a 25mm round base?

BTW- its like 490 mm2 compared to 625 mm2.

SpanielBear
01-06-2014, 09:57
Trick to get Glade Guard to rank is to alternate which side of the base each model stands, going by rank. Essentially, you want the second rank to be shooting through the gaps between the models in the front rank.

So for example front rank models, feet attached forwards and on the right-hand side of the base. Then second rank feet attached to the rear and left-hand side of their bases.

Then number the bases. That's saved me so much time and rage.

For my money, the flimsiest and tricksiest man-sized model is the sister of the thorn. The Stag is easy, but the rider- spindly arms, small connecting joints and those damn javelins...

underscore
01-06-2014, 10:09
That makes less than no sense. They wouldn't fit on a 25mm square base but would on a 25mm round base?

BTW- its like 490 mm2 compared to 625 mm2.
With round bases you can rotate them around to fit rank together easier. Makes a huge difference and I'd recommend it to anyone having issues with 25mm-based models.

Importman
01-06-2014, 10:27
Years ago all those metal /plastic hybrids from GW were all horrible to put together. Things like the old Ruglud's armour Orcs with their horribly positioned arms that is supposed to hold those plastic crossbows, and those savage Orcs with those metal arms.

Nowadays I think we just have issues mainly with models not lining up properly. Those new (but cool) plastic black Orcs just to name a few.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

empirepadds
01-06-2014, 13:17
can't believe no one has mentioned empire halberdiers . I am building some right now. I want to make them so I glue the arms on after painting , but not sure what angle to glue them to the base?

Epicene
01-06-2014, 14:25
Its not always the angle of the feet you need worry about - its the angle of the spear\halberd. Raise it slightly, so it goes over the shoulder of the guy in front.

Also - Empire State Troops = ****** models. I actually preferred the old ones.

Andy p
01-06-2014, 14:26
Pink horrors.....arms everywhere....the horror....the horror.

theunwantedbeing
01-06-2014, 16:15

Round bases can be turned in place.
Square bases can't (besides turning sideways or backwards).

It's a solution to the problem, a dumb solution but if it works then it works.

Alltaken
01-06-2014, 17:01
dryads have been my curse

From my servoskull

Acephale
01-06-2014, 19:12
Stormvermin was a pain in the b*tt for me to rank up - all those tails and halberds getting tangled up with each other.

Recently, handgunners have proven to be difficult to rank up in any sensible-looking manner.

I guess it's partly my own fault for buying already assembled stuff from ebay.

Metacarpi
01-06-2014, 19:35
Came in here to say Bloodletters and Horrors are horrendous to rank up, but I can see plenty of people have beaten me to it!

Ograr
01-06-2014, 21:01
Haven't had that many problems with my bloodletters after the first 10, I found that tilting them slightly so the swords go under the arm of the one in front did the trick quite well.

Horrors and Stormvermin on the other hand...there is no trick. Just madness and frustration.

Oswen
01-06-2014, 21:58
Grave Guard with Great weapons, took me ages to glue those arms up in a decent and rankable pose...and i still have 30 more to do.

Sir_Glonojad
02-06-2014, 01:27
Witch Elves pose a few problems in individual assembly (the chin being an important structural element and the hair getting in collision with arms - sometimes head should be glued to the body first, sometimes it mustn't) but these pale compared to the assembly of the unit. Be prepared to rotating the models on the bases, so don't glue them too well on Your first run!

The ladies actually costed me a nice cut in the finger, a visit to a hospital.and two nice surgical ties. Not to mention quite a lot of blood for Khaine...

warhammerscotlandplayer
02-06-2014, 13:46
The Phoenix Guard are tricky but i found the While Lions a menace, really difficult to get aligned properly.

Paull
02-06-2014, 16:12
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the old pewter bretonnian battle standard bearer on horse.

A top heavy piece of metal that is only held onto the paladins arm by a tiny wrist joint.

And god forbid you try and move this guy on uneven terrain. Tiiiiiiimmmmbeeeerrrr

In_Fiction
02-06-2014, 16:29
The metal/plastic hybrid models are by far the worst, whether it's metal characters on plastic mounts, or the 5th edition box sets, such as the Empire handgunners and crossbowmen (granted they aren't too hard to assemble, but the weight of the metal combined with the plastic bodies just makes those figures too fiddly). That's why, even though finecast leaves a lot to be desired, for some of the characters on mounts, I prefer finecast to metal.

Urgat
02-06-2014, 16:31
Well, all the old command groups that were plastic with mteal arms, and sometimes heads, were horrible like that. Like that orc boss: good old plastic body leaning forward, and then you add a big metal choppa that ahs to somwhat go forwad too, and then a head. Even on flat ground he'll topple if you don't pay attention. plus that metal head is ugly as sin, it doesn't help.

monkey10120
02-06-2014, 17:07
I would have to go with Wardancers....You have first inspect ALL the models and make sure they are not bent...UGH! Then you have to get their bar by their feet into the tiny little bases. These bases sometimes need trimming which result in multiple booboos from the knife and then you have to push really hard to get them in the bases which can hurt my fingers. This has to be done to like 10 guys too....what a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!! I cant imagine anything being more frustrating to put together!

Alltaken
02-06-2014, 17:16
I would have to go with Wardancers....You have first inspect ALL the models and make sure they are not bent...UGH! Then you have to get their bar by their feet into the tiny little bases. These bases sometimes need trimming which result in multiple booboos from the knife and then you have to push really hard to get them in the bases which can hurt my fingers. This has to be done to like 10 guys too....what a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!! I cant imagine anything being more frustrating to put together!

I had only 1 wardancer go bad on me, but then I placed it in a straight lined base and not a diagonal one. The rest where quite easy and you can drill them well enough.

What I did was push the metal strip with a tool (I just used the tip of a wire cutter) and push it in the gap with that in a flat surface, worked pretty easy besides aplying some stregnth at it

From my servoskull

monkey10120
02-06-2014, 17:59
I had only 1 wardancer go bad on me, but then I placed it in a straight lined base and not a diagonal one. The rest where quite easy and you can drill them well enough.

What I did was push the metal strip with a tool (I just used the tip of a wire cutter) and push it in the gap with that in a flat surface, worked pretty easy besides aplying some stregnth at it

From my servoskull

.....guess I am bad at making jokes lol... It was just supposed to be me being a smartass. :P

No they are as easy as taking the sprue clippers and pushing it in the base not glue needed or anything. I put 20 together is 2 1/2 mins. I wish every model was like that, but then there would not be as creative conversion of models.

EddieJA
02-06-2014, 21:01
Both White Lions and Phoenix Guard were awful to put together. That being said, ranking up Empire Halberdiers is an exercise in patience.

PlasticSwap.Com
02-06-2014, 21:47
You guys are complaining about ranking up... try skinks. They are pia to put together and then they will never ever rank up. In fact its easier just to make them all skirmishers than try and get thier tails to not be blocked by the shield from the dude behind them.

In fact I think its why GW came up with the skroxigor unit to begin with.

EddieJA
02-06-2014, 21:50
You guys are complaining about ranking up... try skinks. They are pia to put together and then they will never ever rank up. In fact its easier just to make them all skirmishers than try and get thier tails to not be blocked by the shield from the dude behind them.

In fact I think its why GW came up with the skroxigor unit to begin with.

I never found Skinks to be a problem at all, certainly not on the level of Halberdiers, and all I ever used Skinks for was ranked units. I don't think I ever took the guys as skirmishers.

Treadhead_1st
02-06-2014, 21:59
Hm, the White Lions I had were a pain to assemble - particularly the arms, getting the fingers to line up with the hands whilst still connecting to the shoulders. They're also a bit of a pain to rank up thanks to the cloaks (I don't like the fact that the front rank essentially have to have identical cloaks because they won't fit anywhere else, same with the rear rank) and personally the fact that the banner and the helmet plumes are blown in different directions winds me up (and they are also not in the same direction as the cloaks).

I am not looking forwards to building my Glade Guard either - I absolutely love the models, but they've sat in a box for years as the cloaks (getting them to fit flush to the shoulders is a pain by itself) are likely to make ranking the unit up in any sensible positions a nightmare.

High Elf Spearmen were a pain to build too, mostly because of where the mold-lines sit on the scale mail, and the general "old" quality of the casts.

Ramius4
02-06-2014, 23:56
My personal 2 are older metal models that are out of production.

Juan Diaz Daemonettes. Ick. I've glued those arms back on so many times its pathetic.

But even they weren't as bad as the previous Executioner models. You only had 2 pieces, but one was a sword blade. WTF were they thinking when they decided to make the smallest piece possible, the part that you'd have to glue on? You can't even breathe hard around them. (note that the Daemonettes on the other hand, like it when you breathe hard around them... :shifty: