PDA

View Full Version : Q: will they ever give Woc more shooting options?

Doommasters
01-06-2014, 10:02
What are everyone thoughts on WoC getting more shooting options? Right now the Hellcannon is the only real option which means WoC really misses out on one section of Fantasy. I understand why this is done both in the fluff and because WoC mutilates in combat, however could this be done in a way that would not break the army of the fluff?

Borgomos
01-06-2014, 10:10
Pay X points to upgrade your Giant to a stone thrower, essentially netting you cheaper (but weaker) hellcannons. Also Foot marauders can get 12 inch throwing axes.

I really really really don't want WoC to get missile troops or conventional warmachines.

Leogun_91
01-06-2014, 10:15
Apart from throwing weapons potentially getting more available and perhaps a short range magic item or two I don't see it happening.

Greyshadow
01-06-2014, 10:28
I would love to see more shooting options - why, because I have a theory that the most fun armies to play participate in all phases of the game. Marauder archers would be great. Chaos Warriors with bows? Yeah, not to sure about that one.

Urgat
01-06-2014, 10:58
Chaos warriors with bolters, you know it's coming :p

Astraeos
01-06-2014, 10:58
Marauder archers could make sense. Beastmen got some archery in their last book so I don't see why they could have Marauder archers, not like it's going to break the book.
Keep their BS low so the melee options are more viable and things shouldn't be too different.

BattleofLund
01-06-2014, 11:17
Chaos Warriors with bows? Yeah, not to sure about that one.

Actually, I think that could be cool - the Chaos Warrior concept is getting a bit stale for me. How about:

'A unit of Chaos Warriors may be upgraded to have bows for free. However, the unit may then not take any other equipment options or the Mark of Khorne. Command options may be taken as normal.'

Nubl0
01-06-2014, 11:31
Nah khorne is fine with ranged combat, he just prefers you take heads up close. That said I wouldn't expect you to attract his attention much as a warrior with a bow unless you go round popping dragons in the eyes or something. Now if you were lugging around something similar to a leadbelchers gun? Yeah I can see he might enjoy that. That said I am just going off 40k here where it's shown that he's very happy with big loud destructive guns, oh and skullcannons.

Don't think fantasy has really touched on the issue much.

Odin
01-06-2014, 13:06
I want to see Marauder bowmen come back. I still have the minis for them. Put them in Special, nothing more than marauders with bows, no way they'd be overpowered, but they'd allow for a bit of flexibility.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

theunwantedbeing
01-06-2014, 13:24
Bows for Chaos warriors would be cool, terrible as an upgrade and of limited use of course but that would be the point.
Like Savage Orc Big'uns with Bows :)

More likely though we'll just see Marauders get the ranged stuff if any is ever handed out. (bows, javelins, throwing axes most likely)
We could easily see monsters with ranged abilities as well.

ashc
01-06-2014, 13:34
Give marauders bows, job done. The shooting needn't be all-powerful, just something to give options and participation in the shooting phase would be cool.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Scammel
01-06-2014, 13:38
Shortbows for Horsemen and perhaps some sort of Marauder skirmish unit and absolutely nothing more. It will be a terrible day if we ever see two blocks of 30 bow-armed Marauders or somesuch stationed in the backfield, just as terrible as the day Dwarfs get cavalry and Elves become T4.

Grok
01-06-2014, 13:42
Well the fluff says that the reason WOC distain the use of ranged weapons is the individual need to prove yourself to the gods and get their attention. Maybe its too taxing on the gods to keep track of individual arrows during combat, who knows.
Not that this should be any indication for whether or not the game should contain such unites, because fluff =\= game, but sometimes it does...

Beastlord
01-06-2014, 16:05
Is it a problem if an army doesn't perform in one phase of the game? Its not like you have to sit there not having a shoot phase, you just crack on with the other phases.. Personally I think CW lack of shooting and dwarfs lack of magic etc adds to their character.

Odin
01-06-2014, 17:11
Shortbows for Horsemen and perhaps some sort of Marauder skirmish unit and absolutely nothing more. It will be a terrible day if we ever see two blocks of 30 bow-armed Marauders or somesuch stationed in the backfield, just as terrible as the day Dwarfs get cavalry and Elves become T4.

If they were in Special, do you think we'd ever see that anyway? Considering they'd be competing for points with chimerae, uber chariots etc?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Evil Hypnotist
02-06-2014, 13:54
Warriors would suit heavy crossbows more than bows IMO, but, to be honest, WoC excel in melee; giving them more shooting will just mean they need nerfing with close combat to balance the army up. If you want a shooty and melee army then Dark Elves, Lizardmen or Empire might be better suited.

Metacarpi
02-06-2014, 14:40
I'm going to throw in a vote for "god, I hope not"

Mithrilherz
02-06-2014, 20:30
If they would take a significant part from the close combat and magic abilities, then more shooting would be fine with me. In the moment. WoC is already the strongest army by far, so no problem if they do not participate in the shooting phase!

MOMUS
03-06-2014, 02:00
We have this cannon which is dangerous, tough, a monster, can go crazy, has armour and a ward AND handlers.... but what we really want is some bows!

Just Tony
03-06-2014, 02:33
Don't Marauders hunt for food with bows? A scout skirmish unit of Marauder archers would be completely cool and fluffy. Maybe make it 0-2

dalezzz
03-06-2014, 12:06
The day we break out our battle masters marauders is at hand! Personally I don't think it's a great idea though , add the marauder archers and get ready for the " our archers are underpowered " threads and all the fun that would follow :) besides looking at the cost of an empire archer they would have to be 8 points each.... Not convinced they would ever be used.