PDA

View Full Version : Question about old terrain

Urgat
01-06-2014, 12:15
Some of you might remember some old terrain GW released a good while ago. There was an orc village, a graveyard (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/349364.page), some hills too, maybe something else, I don't remember. I've seen the medium used to make them called hardfoam, but does anybody know what it is exactly? Thanks very much if you can help!

Epicene
01-06-2014, 13:23
I think its an expanded molecule - like polystyrene, only dense and harder.

Lorcryst
02-06-2014, 08:55
There was four items in total, graveyard and orc village that you linked, plus ruined tower and dwarf hold ... and a couple of hills with rocky ends, I think, unless those were the "hollow" plastic domes.

It's a kind of hard polystyrene, quite durable but not unbreakable (alas), pre painted and with some grass tufts on them.

Very nice pieces of terrain, but alas they are rather difficult to use with the current Fantasy rules ... better for skirmish games or 40K, because there isn't any flat surfaces where you could balance a movement tray on them, and in the case of the graveyard there's only enough room for a single 20mm base between the tombs ...

I have the tower and graveyard for sale cheap(ish) in my sales thread ...

Urgat
02-06-2014, 10:11
Thanks. Well I'd be interested in the two you sell, but now's not the right time :( If you can put them aside for me for a couple months, you have a buyer, but I understand you want to clean some space, so it might not be interesting for you.
But what I really need to know is the exact name of the medium they are made with, it's obviously some kind of very dense foam, but that doesn't help for searching on google for companies that would be able to make those :(

Lorcryst
02-06-2014, 10:56
I can set them aside without problems ... I don't know the name in english, apart from "dense styrofoam", but if I remember correctly, in french its "polystyrène extrudé" ... or "frigolite épaisse" ...

I know it's not resin, nor plastic ... here's a link to the CCM page about them : Scenery (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Scenery) ...

I think it's from 2008-2009, I'll trawl through my archived White Dwarf magazines to see if I can find more information.

Urgat
02-06-2014, 11:02
Hey, thanks, it's even better in French :) I'll look into that.
Why the heck didn't they release that tavern, it was very nice :/

Lorcryst
02-06-2014, 11:06
I've found several of the Graveyard pieces on eBay (for more than 50 euros each, without shipping), but not even one with a description of the material ... time to sift through several dozens of White Dwarf magazines :p

Lorcryst
02-06-2014, 12:09
Ok, I reread a lot of old White Dwarfs, and finally found them.

The first piece released was the Ruined Chaos Tower, alongside White Dwarf #250 in October 2000 (way older than I thought) and the only description of the material they give is "tough, hardened foam" ...

From the density and "feel" of them, I'd say they are made of "blue insulation foam" with lots of PVA glue on it to toughen it.

Looks like this : image (http://www.hellopro.fr/images/produit-2/6/9/9/mousse-isolante-styrofoam-119996.jpg) and can be found in DIY shops ... the complete french name is "mousse d'isolation thermique en polyuréthane".

tneva82
02-06-2014, 12:48
Ok, I reread a lot of old White Dwarfs, and finally found them.

The first piece released was the Ruined Chaos Tower, alongside White Dwarf #250 in October 2000 (way older than I thought) and the only description of the material they give is "tough, hardened foam" ...

Yeah they came along when warhammer 6th edition was released. Which came on fall 2000(I remember that well as it coincident with me moving living on my own first time and starting studies. Funny how memory locks to something making it nearly impossible for you to forget. Can't remember when 7th edition was released or 40k 4th edition though...).

Lord Shadowheart
02-06-2014, 13:06
If its the stuff I'm thinking of, I think I have a big block of the material, think one of my Dads mates got it from his work.

Lorcryst
02-06-2014, 13:28
It's relatively cheap in DIY shops, but it comes in plain sheets of 1 inch to 4 inches thickness ... and unless you're a very good sculptor, it's a bit hard to make detailed pieces like those old bits from GW.

Urgat
02-06-2014, 15:01
Cheers! Thanks :)