PDA

View Full Version : Coming back in 8th, want something straightforward.

ashc
01-06-2014, 23:17
Title kind of says it all. I've finally found a gaming group in my town (woo!) And the big game is warhammer fantasy. I haven't played since 7th and have no proper army put together. I want something fairly straightforward that will help me get to grips with the game once more, what would people recommend? The club is well attended with most armies represented. I know this is a lame 'what army' thread but I would appreciate advice. I don't really fancy a horde army is really my only caveat.

Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Alltaken
01-06-2014, 23:18
What do you have?

From my servoskull

rwphillipsstl
01-06-2014, 23:53
Many players seem to believe that 8th edition army books are as balanced as they have ever been, so you could likely take any army you like without worrying as much as you needed to in the past. That being said, Beastmen and Tomb Kings are two that many still believe are underpowered.

Doommasters
02-06-2014, 02:58
Ogres IMO

- Competitive army
- Compete in all phases of the game
- Lowish model count

Smooth Boy
02-06-2014, 03:27
Many players seem to believe that 8th edition army books are as balanced as they have ever been, so you could likely take any army you like without worrying as much as you needed to in the past. That being said, Beastmen and Tomb Kings are two that many still believe are underpowered.

I agree really, excluding these two, all the horde armies and Brets, which are in a weird place now, you are left with...

Dwarfs
Welves
Delves
Helves
Demons
Lizardmen (debatable)
Warrior of Chaos
Ogres
Empire Cav.

I would just pick the one which you think looks cool, Helves would be good since you can buy Island of Blood, which will bring you up to speed.

The bearded one
02-06-2014, 03:30
Lizardmen (debatable)

Debatable how?

Sexiest_hero
02-06-2014, 03:56
I to yould like to know how Lizardmen are debatable

CountUlrich
02-06-2014, 04:43
I think that he is saying it is debatable whether Lizardmen are horde army or not ... they tend to have some pretty big blocks.

Sexiest_hero
02-06-2014, 04:59
They do the MSU thing just as well.

Greyshadow
02-06-2014, 05:16
Ogres - great army and quick to to paint and collect.

ashc
02-06-2014, 06:50
Ogres IMO

- Competitive army
- Compete in all phases of the game
- Lowish model count

I agree really, excluding these two, all the horde armies and Brets, which are in a weird place now, you are left with...

Dwarfs
Welves
Delves
Helves
Demons
Lizardmen (debatable)
Warrior of Chaos
Ogres
Empire Cav.

I would just pick the one which you think looks cool, Helves would be good since you can buy Island of Blood, which will bring you up to speed.

Ogres - great army and quick to to paint and collect.

Ogres were at the top of my consideration list, what runs well in their book at the moment?

Doommasters
02-06-2014, 06:57
Ogres were at the top of my consideration list, what runs well in their book at the moment?

You can't go wrong with many of the choices in the book really

StygianBeach
02-06-2014, 08:23
You can't go wrong with many of the choices in the book really

Everything is good except Yetis, plus the only model not worth buying is the Saber Tusk, but this can easily be proxied by any beefy looking big cat or any other 4 legged bitey creature.

dalezzz
02-06-2014, 08:25
I knocked up a 1k ogre army at the start of the year , it was a massive change from what I'm used to (empire ,skaven,beastmen) only about 20 models :D very easy painting too , course then I went and started a vamps army ..... It's going slower :p

ashc
02-06-2014, 08:32
Are gnoblars used?

dooms33ker
02-06-2014, 08:50
Are gnoblars used?

Not competitively, no.

dalezzz
02-06-2014, 09:28
Suppose they might be handy for the ranks , also some trappers in there will make some opponents avoid them like the plague ( I have a mate who just seems incapable of doing anything remotely dangerous with his models ... Except charging of course)

Urgat
02-06-2014, 10:17
The most straightforward army in WFB is Warriors of Chaos. Lots of tough units, you walk them to the enemy and you bash heads.

Scammel
02-06-2014, 10:26
Not competitively, no.

Gnoblars are most certainly used competitively - 25 points for a deployment drop and occasional re-director, 50 to decimate a horde whilst you're at it. As for other unused units, Yhetees, Gorgers, Scraplaunchers and Giants are generally outclassed but not unusable, the only sort-of dud choice is the Hunter (and he still has a couple of tiny niches).

Greyshadow
02-06-2014, 11:49
Yhetees are excellent. Three destroyed eight inner circle Knights with full command in my last game in one round of close combat with no losses. (Okay it did rely on the knights failing their fear check and getting Aura of Frosted down to WS 0 but hey, they still won the game for the Ogres). As they are underrated you can sometimes do some great stuff with them. Are on the pricey side though, I'll except that. (They look great in an army as wel IMHO).

Gnoblars - consistently awesome, don't need heaps of em but they can be hugely annoying for your opponent especially when you upgrade them to trappers. Also, they are walking rank bonuses when used well, something the Ogres really do lack more generally.

Snake1311
02-06-2014, 11:50
[QUOTE=Scammel;7180238]Gnoblars are most certainly used competitively - 25 points for a deployment drop and occasional re-director, 50 to decimate a horde whilst you're at it.[QUOTE]

Rarely, and in full-shooting list setups only; main reason being they are 33% slower than the rest of the army, so can't keep up with an advancing force (not to mention the arrow fodder/redirectors are meant to be faster than the main force). Sabretusks tend to cover their chaff role more effectively, making the gnobbos a little redundant in most lists.

ashc
02-06-2014, 13:45
The most straightforward army in WFB is Warriors of Chaos. Lots of tough units, you walk them to the enemy and you bash heads.

Thanks Urgat, I have played WoC in the past but lack of shooting and a general feel of them being a bit OTT this edition puts me off.

This thread is proving really useful everyone, any other tips with looking at what to buy/use with them?

Urgat
02-06-2014, 15:03
Then orcs. Lots of tought units, you walk them to the enemy and you bash heads. And you also got shooting and they're not OTT :D

thesoundofmusica
02-06-2014, 15:13
Empire Cav! Looks great, fun to play with and against and then you add some fun stuff like steam tank and artillery of choice (likely not the mortar though).

Phazael
02-06-2014, 15:16
Ogres, infantry based Warriors, or High elves are all good solid choices with a minimum of fuss. All have ways to break the book, but you can make a strong and fun list without resorting to the cheese if you want.

Smooth Boy
02-06-2014, 23:39
Debatable how?

I just meant in terms of horde/not.

b4z
03-06-2014, 00:26
@OP

Ogre Kingdoms.

Do not require a great deal of thought to play with.

Have a very competetive book, good magic, good combat, good shooting.

Small model count means lower cost to buy the army and much quicker and easier to paint it (also very easy to make a themed Ogre Army, so so many about.)

Wanna win? Double Ironblaster, Double Mournfang Units, 1/2 Irongut/Bull Deathstar(s), 2/3 Sabretusk Redirectors, Sprinkle some ManEaters and Leadbelchers, bla bla bla :)

As you become more competent and confident you can start testing yourself using the less powerful units and builds.

Further reading at http://www.ogrestronghold.com/

Ghorros Ghorrosson
03-06-2014, 14:02
This thread is proving really useful everyone, any other tips with looking at what to buy/use with them?

The brief for this army selection is a little sketchy - non-horde. Pretty much any army can be horde, just some tend not to be. Is it just a low model count you're looking for? Can you give any more insight into what you like? Good/Evil. Hi-tech/Lo-tech. Magic? Monsters? Flying? Shooting/Melee?

Do you want to participate in every phase or are some phases more important.

The all round ability of Ogres is true and they do work in all phases. But if you're hankering after a "good" army with a strong magic phase it's not the right choice.

ashc
03-06-2014, 14:38
The brief for this army selection is a little sketchy - non-horde. Pretty much any army can be horde, just some tend not to be. Is it just a low model count you're looking for? Can you give any more insight into what you like? Good/Evil. Hi-tech/Lo-tech. Magic? Monsters? Flying? Shooting/Melee?

Do you want to participate in every phase or are some phases more important.

The all round ability of Ogres is true and they do work in all phases. But if you're hankering after a "good" army with a strong magic phase it's not the right choice.

Thanks Ghorros. Indeed, i'm looking for relatively low model count as I don't have that much time for painting these days, plus other projects.

I played chaos and dwarfs in past editions and didn't like the lack of shooting for Chaos and cavalry/magic for dwarfs, so I think I'm looking to participate in all phases of the game essentially.

I have chaos in 40k, and have no particular leaning towards evil or good.