PDA

View Full Version : Model buildup and throwing away miniatures

dugaal
02-06-2014, 13:16
I recently started thinking about the number of models, assembled, unassembled, bits, etc. I have. Not as many as some players but more than enough. Yet I find myself mentally bogged down with the prospect of having them, considering I barely play, and feel too far away from most players to sell on ebay etc. as I used to.
One morning while walking to the train station I noticed something; a garbage bag filled with what I think was lego blocks. The hoarder in me thought "loot that! Work out the scummy part later, that stuff is expensive!"
Well I kept walking, and later, a thought came to me; These expensive things we all hoard cannot be stockpiling forever, SOMEONE has to be tossing their plastic starter boxes or bits or collections and clearing space. I'm not talking reselling; but kicking it to the curb for trash.

On the other end would be hoarders who may or may not be storing too many armies and helping the ebay junkers or craigslist dumpers take care of all the unwanted old minis.

What I'm asking is, what stories have you heard? Have you tossed minis before? ever picked up a goldmine from someone tossing away minis?

tneva82
02-06-2014, 13:22
Well I did actually throw away bunch of 6mm metals away. Couldn't find anybody willing to pay anything for them and was in serious need of clearing some space.

Maybe not best of ideas but then again haven't felt particular regret about losing those. Had no need for them(STILL haven't found ruleset for them I would actually like) and as I said nobody was willing to buy them and wasn't interested in looking at foreign country selling(postage would have been such a murder finding buyer would be tough).

Also I basically donated my B5 call to arms fleets. Again couldn't find anybody willing to buy them in Finland. This time I did find interested person from England but price pretty much just covered postage. But at least they got into good home! Seeing by then about only way for me to play it was solitaire didn't feel need to have those not-so-small ships lying around.

Born Again
02-06-2014, 13:33
I haven't been able to come to terms with getting rid of anything, let alone just throwing it away. I have a large box crammed full of old, poorly painted models that are never touched - but it's a giant source of bits or extra models should I ever want to use them.
Obviously if you are getting to the point of the people you see on those Hoarders shows where you can't see the floor (and sometimes the ceiling too...) then you might have to think about taking action, but I'm a far cry from that yet.
These days with eBay and the like there's rarely a need to throw anything away. I find it hard to imagine a model that somebody, somewhere, wouldn't have a want for, no matter how weird it may seem to the person selling it.

T10
02-06-2014, 13:33
Threw out my 3rd ed. Dark Eldar in favour of the new ones. Never looked back.

-T10

carldooley
02-06-2014, 13:35
pewter can be melted down (for things like bullets or other models). GW makes a point that its plastics are recyclable.

with that said, I remember tank models in my grandparents' house. I'd like to think that I can pass the love of modeling if not gaming to future generations by doing something similar.

Denny
02-06-2014, 13:35
I've chucked a few miniatures in my time. I like to live uncluttered, and hoarding makes me feel unhappy and makes me less productive. I firmly believe if you have too many unpainted miniatures it makes it harder for you to get started as the scale of the task becomes overwhelming (not saying this applies to everyone but my friends who stockpile the most miniatures also paint the least . . .)

I try and give stuff to friends or just give it away, but if it's old and crappy it goes in the bin.

duffybear1988
02-06-2014, 13:38
Threw out my old plastic plague marines and regretted it ever since. My Mate was chucking his entire collection of old 3rd edition Dark Eldar out when he finished school. He called me up and I screamed at him to stop ramming it all into his bin. I still have 2000 points of warriors and raiders somewhere in the house.

My biggest concern these days is that I have stockpiled so much that I can never find anything. For instance I was looking for a specific marine helmet that I knew I had somewhere but couldn't find. In the end my room looked like a bombsite as I turfed everything (and I mean everything) out to find it.

Theocracity
02-06-2014, 13:40
Back when I first was getting into the hobby, I inherited a box of random models from a friend who had quit years ago. Included in it were a bunch of early Tyranid - which might have been worth something to a collector, if he hadn't painted them by literally dipping them in latex paint. They got binned.

Metal Handkerchief
02-06-2014, 13:48
I've thrown away some stuff, mostly stuff from my early painting days that looked awful in every day. Talking 5kg of paint on a Falcon.

But mostly if I want to shift something I sell it or give it away these days. Thankfully I have more space now.

Szalik
02-06-2014, 13:58
I'd never throw a miniature into the bin. Odd, damaged bits and old miniatures usually end their lives as battlefield debris on bases here. Even the ugly ones await for their turn to be reused. I also love buying second hand models that I restore back to their glory, so throwing models in the age of Ebay is a nono.

Just like yesterday, I decided to make a rough rider unit from uhh High Elf silver helms bodies and horses...very odd combination but they were a leftover from my WFB army and will represent a remnant of planetary governor's parade unit, that is now battling zombie plague and demonic infestation along with my other forces. Nobody would want to buy them, they were previously partially fitted to represent black knights. I was never really keen on having a rough rider unit, but I have enough bits to make one, so why not. They are not the best fitting ones (bretonia would be so much better) but there is a saying here that If You do not have what you want, You like what you have.

On the other hand I do not have a problem with hoarding kits. I just buy what I want, provided I have a place to keep it (not so much now, but then again I mostly buy miniatures that I like, not ones that are needed to suit local meta).

Latro_
02-06-2014, 14:08
A few years ago i had a mad clear out, was very strict with my self and got rid of so many old models back from when i started like in the 90s!

I was like, am i ever ever gonna use these 120 old box set plastic grots from 2ed? no, bin.

I still have about 11 unfinished 40k armies and a boat load of models i have had since the ******* 90s but i just cant bin em or even sell em.

Of all the things i own my model collection is the one thing 'holding me down' if that makes sence. I got rid of my dvd's and cd's in fav of online stuff.. i own a lot of tech like a gaming pc and tablet etc but they get replaced, clothes are just clothes. Yea apart from personal trinkets which dont take up a load of space models really are the weight around my ankles as possessions go.

I went through a phase a few years ago of thinking, posessions are just a pain in the ass how much do we really need them and i thought about streamling everything to live with as little 'stuff' as possible... got to the toy solider thou and that all just went kafmph...

we're addicts and horders... its defo a thing.

Sir Didymus
02-06-2014, 14:55
Threw away about 10K of marines, a big bunch of genestealer cult/nids and 4-5K of eldar, when I first kicked the habit back in the 90'ies - or to be exact, I actually left them at a friends house and never got in contact with him again :p

-

Now I make sure to sell them off, when they stop seeing action :)

Wolf Lord Balrog
02-06-2014, 14:55
Nope, not yet anyway. I don't think my collection is nearly as extensive as many on this site though, I only have two armies. :)

By the way, if anybody is thinking of just chucking some mini's, PM me, I'll take them. :)

AndrewGPaul
02-06-2014, 15:01
I've chucked out a good few minis in my time - usually poorly-painted and/or converted plastics that aren't worth my time to strip down. I'd rather just buy a brand-new Tactical squad rather than strip down a second-hand one, for example.

hobojebus
02-06-2014, 15:41
I don't throw away models just recently i repainted my 2nd ed greyhunters rather than buy new ones, they came out really nice even though they have those big hands.

Just Tony
02-06-2014, 17:29
The only thing I toss is bitz, but only stuff I'm perfectly assured won't be used by myself or someone else. I recently sold almost all my armies, and I have a few pewter things I know won't clear. Thankfully I have a buddy who has fishing sinker molds. It'll work like a charm.

Treadhead_1st
02-06-2014, 18:21
I've chucked models out before.

Once threw out a Catachan Megaforce for stupid personal reasons, and regretted that - though they would probably have been thrown out since as my modelling and painting has improved over the years.

I regularly chuck out bits of old conversions that I have abandoned - usually due to them being broken, poorly made, want a few parts for something else and destroyed the base model to get them, etc. Stuff that is so horribly painted and I have replaced with a new box (even if not built, I am a professional procrastinator) also goes in the bin as it is simply not worth the effort of stripping them (particularly plastics - metal models I have had for years have had numerous nail-polish-remover baths in their time).

Gungo
02-06-2014, 18:41
I have some old 2nd edition Orc models I need to toss someday. 2 armour cast tanks the gobsmasher and spleenripper. Honestly I'm sure someone would buy and use the old armour cast vehicles but they are so cheesy looking and I know I probably wouldn't get much for them. I will likely also toss out most of the old plastic monopose goff orcs and Gretchen. I do have an old armourcast Orc battle wagon that I can use as a conversion base for a newer Orc battle wagon. Most of the other Orc models I have in my bin I can prolly use if I ever decide to restart my Orc army. Metal buggies, scorchas, wartrak, warbikes, and killer can in metal all look nice if a bit smaller. I have a bunch of old metal heavy weapons like a shock atk gun (I think), multi melta, plasma cannon, and las cannon orcs. A squad of boar boars and a squad of cyboars as well which are basically useless. I have 4 metal orcs in megarmour, and 3-4 old artillery pieces in metal they don't use anymore like a pulse rokkit, autcannon thing, and something else. I also have an original gritsnik and the old school ghazskull and a metal squad of storm boys look like old communist cadets and metal squad of blood axe commandos that wore camo and was during the everything must be red era of orcs. Most of this stuff I can't really use anymore but It can be part of an Orc conversion based army and look semi decent with a lot of conversions. But the stuff inlisted up top is kinda crappy looking and is prolly toss it. Someday I'll restart the Orc army up but it will take a lot of work to make it look as good as the newer models.

lethlis
02-06-2014, 19:44
I have thrown out some old conversions that I just didnt feel like revisiting from my old days

I also threw out a lot of my 3rd edition dark eldar because they were never going to sell and I didnt feel like keeping them around because they looked awful.

NemoSD
02-06-2014, 19:48
I recently started thinking about the number of models, assembled, unassembled, bits, etc. I have. Not as many as some players but more than enough. Yet I find myself mentally bogged down with the prospect of having them, considering I barely play, and feel too far away from most players to sell on ebay etc. as I used to.
One morning while walking to the train station I noticed something; a garbage bag filled with what I think was lego blocks. The hoarder in me thought "loot that! Work out the scummy part later, that stuff is expensive!"
Well I kept walking, and later, a thought came to me; These expensive things we all hoard cannot be stockpiling forever, SOMEONE has to be tossing their plastic starter boxes or bits or collections and clearing space. I'm not talking reselling; but kicking it to the curb for trash.

On the other end would be hoarders who may or may not be storing too many armies and helping the ebay junkers or craigslist dumpers take care of all the unwanted old minis.

What I'm asking is, what stories have you heard? Have you tossed minis before? ever picked up a goldmine from someone tossing away minis?

When Games Workshop stores close, a lot of the display stuff ends up in the bin the next day... I have profited from this, and I know friends who have walked away with entire tables worth of terrain.

Grok
02-06-2014, 19:54
Just remembering it makes me so sad. This guy I was in a guild with on WOW said he found some old marines and chaos marines, like three box sets and he told me he'll give it to me for free the next guild get-togather. About three days before it took place he called me and told me his mom cleaned his room, thought it was trash, and threw them all with the garbage. I hated her ever since :p

don_mondo
02-06-2014, 20:04
I've gone to a swap meet and had someone say that they weren't taking anything home, $20 for everything they had on the table. And yes, I got there first with $20. Course, I'm at the point where I may have to do that.

lethlis
02-06-2014, 20:46
Although this is not quite "throwing away" but one of the things I have started doing is giving back to the hobby with things that I am never going to use.

So if I see someone who is trying to trade for stuff to get a project off the ground if I have the extra things lying around I send them to them for the cost of shipping.

For example:
I had a bunch of random bits from over the years that I was NEVER going to use, as well as a botched conversion on a land speeder. Saw someone looking for stuff to use for orks. I sent it to him for cost of shipping.

I decided to go digital for my black library books, but I still have all my old omnibuses sitting around. Saw someone was looking for books. Once again for the cost of shipping.

Someone in my area is starting marines or if I have random parts/models around they can get them free of charge. Its my way of helping get people back into the community. It is not a matter of cost because if you do the math even giving it away I am coming out ahead.

What is it worth to me to have models sitting in a box on my shelf for 5 years unopenned, or another army that I have to work on and paint that just sits there and takes up space. At that point it actually becomes a burden in my life. However if I give it to someone, or donate starter armies to my local store at half price or something similar I am helping to keep the hobby alive and get my future opponents off their feet and started on this great hobby that has done so much for me in my life that I could have never done without my father investing in it for me at a young age. I know not everyone has that kind of option or money so its my turn to give back. It really feels good.

We always complain about rules and cost killing the hobby, but what keeps it alive(and what has always kept it alive) is the community giving back. Either in time(teaching people to play, or sharing your love of the hobby), teaching people to paint, or sharing bits, parts models etc. That is what keeps the hobby alive regardless(or sometimes in spite of) what GW does. Sooner we take on the mantle I think the better the responses will be.

Menthak
02-06-2014, 21:27
pewter can be melted down (for things like bullets or other models). GW makes a point that its plastics are recyclable.

with that said, I remember tank models in my grandparents' house. I'd like to think that I can pass the love of modeling if not gaming to future generations by doing something similar.

Melting minis down for bullets sounds like the start of a dark path Carl.

I've never thrown any of my minis away, I just couldn't.

Gonders
02-06-2014, 21:48
Nowadays I always sell my last army to fund the new one. That way my hobby tends to pay for itself. Well nearly. I only buy second hand now nuless I really can't too.

However I have 4 large bin bags full of sprues in our loft I just can't throw. To many valuable parts! Hardly any complete models!

Years ago, one of our gaming group had a large salamanders army. One day his mum decided the hobby was to addictive and was having a negative impact on his life(assuming unknowing the value of 3000 points of well painted marines) and sat him down to have a word about it. Then she actually made him throw the whole lot in the bin right there. Funnily though, it was his only army at the time, so it's not even like he had a cave full of plastic somewhere. His life was pretty much on track he's a well rounded guy.

We have never stopped joking with him about it since! Also, don't know if he still reads Warseer, but I'll get a roasting from him at our club night tomorrow if he reads this!! Yep, the happy ending is that He's back in the hobby!!

Smooth Boy
02-06-2014, 23:59
I defiantly make a big deal of getting rid of stuff, as OP says its not healthy to stockpile every model you've ever bought. I use the one year and a day rule, if it hasn't been used in this time it goes the distance unless its very easy to store. However I NEVER throw things away that are in a decent condition, loads of kids would kill for models like that even if its just to play with. Or donate them to the charity shop. Either way I'll always give my stuff to someone over throwing it in the bin.

Fangschrecken
03-06-2014, 00:15
I don't think I could ever thrown anything away. First I'd try and repaint it if it looks bad or repurpose it some where else. If I can't find a use for it I'd make sure they went on to a good home. Once I've assembled and painted them, led those little plastic men and monsters into battle... well.. they're my children. Someday a woman with mixed luck is going to find me somewhat odd.

Wolf Lord Balrog
03-06-2014, 00:31
I don't think I could ever thrown anything away. First I'd try and repaint it if it looks bad or repurpose it some where else. If I can't find a use for it I'd make sure they went on to a good home. Once I've assembled and painted them, led those little plastic men and monsters into battle... well.. they're my children. Someday a woman with mixed luck is going to find me somewhat odd.

I feel the same way man. :yes: :D

red_zebra_ve
03-06-2014, 00:43
I just rebuilt and repainted a bunch of 2nd Edition Stormboyz (gave them weapons from the "modern" boyz sprue and converted a Black Reach Nob). Also the 2nd edition Shock Attack.

I do not throw models, but there is no model buildup either.

tneva82
03-06-2014, 06:10
These days with eBay and the like there's rarely a need to throw anything away. I find it hard to imagine a model that somebody, somewhere, wouldn't have a want for, no matter how weird it may seem to the person selling it.

One thing can you find somebody willing to take them and another thing finding somebody willing to pay enough for it to be worthwhile. Especially with Finnish postage prices if you want to pack them so that they have reasonable chance of surviving the post office handling.

Packing itself is such a hurdle I ain't packing large army for nickels of profit. Time is money as well and I have chronic lack of time these days!

Ssilmath
03-06-2014, 06:33
Only models I have thrown away (As of yet) was an entire 2500 point Warhammer Fantasy Chaos (Warriors and Beastmen) army. I wasn't a fan of the system, and had gotten stomped by our resident WAAC one too many times. I kind of regret having done so, but at the time I had more money than sense...

Since then though, if I have gotten rid of an army it has been by selling it. Working on finishing off armies that I own but don't play so that I can sell them on eBay.

Bloodknight
03-06-2014, 08:43
2 armour cast tanks the gobsmasher and spleenripper. Honestly I'm sure someone would buy and use the old armour cast vehicles but they are so cheesy looking and I know I probably wouldn't get much for them

Don't throw those out, assuming they're not damaged (which they probably aren't, those models were chunky). They may not be worth much, but they're pretty iconic and probably rarer than most limited editions GW ever produced and you could make some collector happy. You wouldn't scrap a vintage car in good condition either, I guess?

dalezzz
03-06-2014, 09:11
I think I'm going to have to start rooting through bins!

BrianC
03-06-2014, 11:44
I refuse to bin anything unless it is really really broken. I would rather sell something for a penny than bin it as it just seems so wasteful.

I have a room dedicated to the hobby with a large amount of deep shelving that I store, in foam boxes, all of my armies. My biggest problem is balancing buying new models and buying the boxes as they are pretty expensive.

At the weekend I am selling off a few thousand MtG cards as I haven't used them for a couple of years. The funds that will raise will be quite substantial and I will have to have a long think if I want to put that money back into 40k or do something else with it. Last time I sold anything was my vintage video game and console collection, that money kickstarted me getting back into the hobby. Would I do the same with my armies? Doubtful as I have too big a emotional attachment to them due to the effort building, converting, painting.

Firemane Dreamcaster
03-06-2014, 12:18
I have on occasion binned miniatures and parts that where ruined beyond usefullness, and on occasion I have sold miniatures, mostly special characters that I ended up not liking

Avian
03-06-2014, 12:23
I have thrown away a fair number of badly painted (ugly) monopose plastics from the nineties, though I've tended to keep the metals to strip and repaint.

O.G-Palmer
03-06-2014, 12:55
There are always a couple of young guys and girls who cant quite afford things due to various reasons so every so often ill work through the boxes of stuff I have picked up through trades and buying 2nd hand armies. Ill always find models I don't need so paint strip the stuff If need be and bundle them into bags.

These get given to random gamers to do what ever they want with, most of them have used them to practice their painting skills and techniques.

Wesser
03-06-2014, 12:57
I usually just go on my local forum saying. Just need someone to pay a symbolic sum and pick it up themselves.

Sold some old Flagellants/Greatswords/Helblaster and a few characters all in metal (don't like metal)... for like 100 euros. That's way below retail price for the new plastic units and the models were decently painted.

So both parties got something out of it as I was gonna toss it all

The difficulty comes when people try and sell a few bitz which are too few to make a coherent force with or when someone passes off a very old, half-assembled, semi-painted bunch of miniatures off as whole army.

Just set the price low and reinforce the hobby. If you're considering selling you're unlikely to touch them again anyway and sooner or later the missus will do what you cannot

Born Again
03-06-2014, 13:21
Just remembering it makes me so sad. This guy I was in a guild with on WOW said he found some old marines and chaos marines, like three box sets and he told me he'll give it to me for free the next guild get-togather. About three days before it took place he called me and told me his mom cleaned his room, thought it was trash, and threw them all with the garbage. I hated her ever since :p

This seems to happen quite a bit. I've read on here multiple times that people's parents have thrown out models thinking they were garbage. It's a box full of models, and one presumes that if the parents are involved enough in their children to clean their room, they are aware what hobbies they are in to. If that had ever been pulled on me, the next time my parents came home the conversation would have gone something like this:

"Where's the antique vase and my favourite jewelery gone?"
"Gee Mum, I thought they were trash."

Once upon a time, you could take back empty sprues to the store, where they would send them back to factory to be melted down and re-used. I built up this huge collection of empty sprues, thinking I'm doing the environment and GW's financials some good, but then the guy in the store had no idea what I was talking about.

Gungo
03-06-2014, 13:22
Don't throw those out, assuming they're not damaged (which they probably aren't, those models were chunky). They may not be worth much, but they're pretty iconic and probably rarer than most limited editions GW ever produced and you could make some collector happy. You wouldn't scrap a vintage car in good condition either, I guess?
I haven't thrown them out they are in a box and in original condition. I never actually got to painting them so they are still that old yellow armourcast color.

but they are literally so bad looking. You can't realistically field them on a table nowadays without it looking so out I place. They look like badly detailed square Lego shaped cars. Honestly I do like the old armourcast battle tank it would make a nice base for a conversion. I'll take a picture of them for you when I get home tonight and post it. They might be iconic but they are super cheesy. However I have no issue playing with the old metal buggies, bikes, killerskans, wartrak, cyboars, scorchas, I don't even mind the old stormboys and nobs in megarmour. the bloodaxe commandos look kinda out of place in imperial guard camo but I guess it's fluffy.

dragonet111
03-06-2014, 14:29
I started an IG army but faced the harsh truth I will never play it, gathered everything in good shape or useable (2 leman russ, 1 chimera, bunch of unpainted metal model, ....) and made it a nice present for a friend.

I had to get rid of a lot of old stuff. Kind of sad but necessary. My only regret I had some Space Marines stuff that would have been useable but nobody to give it.

lybban
03-06-2014, 14:52
I give all my old stuff to my 4 year old to practice painting on. He loves the stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloodknight
03-06-2014, 15:05
They might be iconic but they are super cheesy

That they do. Some retro gamer would probably appreciate them, though (I built my Plague Marine army from 2nd edition models because I liked them so much, there are probably Ork players like that around, too).

infamousme
03-06-2014, 15:49
I once knew a guy who was moving to hawaii and didn't want to take all of his miniatures...... i got around a CHAPTER'S worth of space marines from him. They're my problem now, i guess ;)

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

AndrewGPaul
03-06-2014, 15:59
I haven't thrown them out they are in a box and in original condition. I never actually got to painting them so they are still that old yellow armourcast color.

but they are literally so bad looking. You can't realistically field them on a table nowadays without it looking so out I place. They look like badly detailed square Lego shaped cars. Honestly I do like the old armourcast battle tank it would make a nice base for a conversion. I'll take a picture of them for you when I get home tonight and post it. They might be iconic but they are super cheesy. However I have no issue playing with the old metal buggies, bikes, killerskans, wartrak, cyboars, scorchas, I don't even mind the old stormboys and nobs in megarmour. the bloodaxe commandos look kinda out of place in imperial guard camo but I guess it's fluffy.

The "oldhammer" community seems to be doing quite well, and I think the same goes for Rogue Trader players. I've got a complete Space Marine army made up of 1st edition Marines; if I had Orks, I'd take those tanks off your hands. :) A well-painted 2nd edition Ork army is a thing of beauty - quite a different style to the current range.

don_mondo
03-06-2014, 17:27
Or like I used to do back when I was an Outrider. Take a bunch of infantry models to the FLGS, start painting and let anyone that wanted to have one to paint. For some reason they frequently wound up buying stuff after painting (and getting to keep) a model....

Khornies & milk
03-06-2014, 18:20
I have never thrown away any models, but I have sold 3 complete armies, and for top dollar to boot. I've never bought a single model off E-bay either as I've being happy with 25% off retail prices, or from the UK because that ROW decision. I'm far more happy now of course giving GW only about 10/15% of what they used to get from my hobby stash.

Same goes with Bitz as well, because I have 5 Apoc-sized boxes full of Bitz cut from the sprues and bagged/tagged for easy finding. I do let other people take what they want though if they need stuff.

Aztec
04-06-2014, 08:22
Man... reading this thread makes me feel better about the contents of my attic... :D

Although, my Angels of Redemption project have so far been sponsored by old purchases left in the attic.. Apart from 3 Ravenwing bikes..
So far it's mounted up to 20 tacticals, 10 devastators, 10 terminators, 5 assault marines, 6 bikers, 2 drop pods, 1 librarian and a chaplain - All painted (Apart from 5 termies and 5 devastators) since january.

There's still the matter of old IG tanks, couple of leman russes, chimeras and metal models. Some eldar - 5 X all types of aspect warriors, some grav tanks, guardians and two wraith lords. An entire CSM army.. need to get on to that one.. argh.. too many projects.. :)

Although, at one point i DID throw away some old 3rd ed. chaos warriors and lizardmen models.

dugaal
04-06-2014, 10:11
Lots of interesting responses. Asking a forum isnt going to lead to too many stories of binning (we are all still addicted) but interesting nonetheless.

I lent/gave a small SM force to a buddy when I came to Japan, and other stuff I stashed at my folks place has gone missing... Some fantasy stuff, old bloodletters.
I was luring my friend into the game by lending him a tyranid army, lots of metal mid bugs and tyrant. Then he fled the country for work reasons. I'm in no rush to ask where those bugs are.

Karhedron
04-06-2014, 12:07
I have never binned a model. Whenever I have a clearout, I put the stuff on eBay. I have sold everything from odd figures to a whole BFG Chaos fleet. Sometimes stuff goes for 99 pence but sometimes stuff gets a couple of people bidding on it and you get more than you expect. Either way it is cash for new models (or beer ;)).

Some of the old plastic mono-pose models have been donated to my boys to practice their painting skills on so I am doing my bit to help introduce the next generation.

Any random bits that I really cannot think of anything better to do with go in the club's bits box. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

ChaosPhoenix
04-06-2014, 12:20
I know how you feel. I have a full room of unpainted and unassembled minis from a time when I had a lot of spare time. I feel unmotivated by the sheer number of things to do. I try to choose a small part of the models and concentrate on them. It isn't easy and isn't working as well as it should.

ArmyC
04-06-2014, 13:47
If you have never thrown stuff out because it is too valuable and you intend to eventually sell it on ebay or make that huge Ork Stompa strictly fro spare parts .....

You have no idea how wonderful it feels to throw that stuff in the bin.

Unpainted minis paralyze your efforts to get things done. I find myself able to buy a model and paint it up over a weekend, where before I that model was in the back of the cue and it never saw the table.

Toss that junk or give it to little Timmy.

You will love yourself for doing so!

carldooley
04-06-2014, 19:03
Toss that junk or give it to little Timmy.

I think I'll reinforce what Iron Lord Balrog said earlier. If someone has something I'm looking for(TE Crisis suits and weapons), I'd be happy to be your Timmy. I'd even cover shipping. . .