PDA

View Full Version : New Knight Model.

Menthak
03-06-2014, 00:13
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/CERASTUS_KNIGHT-LANCER.html

Title says it really, I'd like to know what people think of the new Knight model? I like it personally, but I feel it's a bit too different looking to the vanilla one.

Wolf Lord Balrog
03-06-2014, 00:45
I like the general look they were going for, looks similar to the Grey Knights in outline. My problem is how thin and spindly it looks.

hobojebus
03-06-2014, 01:19
It's nice but a bit pricy for what it is I can get three of the plastic for that price.

But forgeworld at least give quality for that price.

druchii
03-06-2014, 03:02
I think it looks terrible.

Also I do not relish that tall of a resin model...

d

The Black Shield
03-06-2014, 03:15
I personally like it. I like that they are trying to make each different Knight class look different.

Mini77
03-06-2014, 04:20
It's nice but a bit pricy for what it is I can get three of the plastic for that price.

To be fair it's a *lot* bigger than a standard Knight.

MajorWesJanson
03-06-2014, 04:56
I personally like it. I like that they are trying to make each different Knight class look different.

Well, since they have 2 other Knights that are similar but seem to share the same chassis and legs, with different heads, it appears that FW is merely making a different pattern of Knights (like how they had the Mars and Lucius Pattern Baneblade compared to GWs plastic. FW seems to have dubbed the plastic Knight a Questoris pattern, and this the Ceratus.

Itsacon
03-06-2014, 06:56

For some people Rule of Cool trumps price...

Mauler
03-06-2014, 08:26
It looks frickin' awesome: lanky with armour covering the critical parts to keep it's speed up and that armour it does have is good and chunky. Designed to assault other super-heavies in assault it's faster than a Paladin/Errant with a invuln save in melee to give some protection vs D weapons, gets in close with 6 concussive hits to drop the target's Init to 1 for two assault phases and then lay into them with an extra attack over a Pala/Errant and another for charging, for an extra 25 points over the other Knights classes.

I think it's a great design, both in rules and the model. The only think I'm not keen on, at almost twice the height of the plastic Knights, is the size. But for peopele fielding a Knights detatchment this gives a great option to engage other super-heavies while the more ranged Knights deal with everything else.

BrianC
03-06-2014, 12:02
When the other FW variants hit I think we'll see them fitting in between the plastic knights and the Lancer so it'll look a bit more balanced fielding a full household.

Rules wise it seems to be a proper Titan killer, if it can close on its target.

aim
03-06-2014, 12:59

For some people, having a model that doesn't look like ass trumps price.

3X the price, at lease 4X better looking.

Hate the way the regular knights look, in case you missed it.

hobojebus
03-06-2014, 13:06

Not being negative about the Lancet but I'd take 3 of the plastic ones and get more bang for my buck.

But if you have the money go for it.

Spider-pope
03-06-2014, 13:59
I love it. I could just see one of them sprinting into combat alongside my White Scars. I guess it's more/less value for money in the UK, since it only costs the same as two plastic knights here.

R.D.
03-06-2014, 14:15
Overall I like it, but I'm not sure on the wireframe shield. I know it's probably an energy field thing, but it still looks eh.

Felwether
03-06-2014, 14:54
I like it but I'd much prefer if FW did some nice upgrade packs for the plastic Knight (powerfist etc.).

Poseidal
03-06-2014, 15:28
Lacks a soft of balance to the chassis and overall silhouette the regular knight has IMO.

Mauler
03-06-2014, 15:42
Not being negative about the Lancet but I'd take 3 of the plastic ones and get more bang for my buck.

But if you have the money go for it.

Almost three times the points and a different battlefield role though...?

Overall I like it, but I'm not sure on the wireframe shield. I know it's probably an energy field thing, but it still looks eh.

Apparently that was the intent. Rather than just emitting a wall of energy that can be bypassed/penetrated during assault the gauntlet shield is much more capable of being held close like a normal bucker or shield to ward off ranged attacks and defect extreme forces in assault. Another designer suggested going for a more frame-type shield because if the Knight is engaging super-heavies then the energy will be deflecting the forces of that magnitide instead of a physical shield, plus the gauntlet is much lighter in weight to fit with the Lancer's swift role.

The bearded one
03-06-2014, 15:51
It's got the same problem for me many Forgeworld models have. There's something about the texture that's just.. 'off' for me. And not terribly helped by the way it is painted - particularly the metal, which is very flat and bland, and makes large parts of the model seem so.

Konovalev
03-06-2014, 17:36
I can't even look at that model without thinking how absurd that weird framework shield looks on it. That's just Dreadknight level weird for me.

Aside from that... why are the knights getting bigger? Wasn't the GW plastic one big enough? That thing is taller than a Warhound isn't it?

Dryaktylus
03-06-2014, 17:56
Aside from that... why are the knights getting bigger? Wasn't the GW plastic one big enough? That thing is taller than a Warhound isn't it?

Well, I have a bunch of Epic Knights and the size difference between Paladin and Lancer is about right.

Khornies & milk
03-06-2014, 18:04
I'm loving this model, and seen as I'm looking at building a complete suite (all varients) of Knights for House 'Raven' I need a Lancer varient, and this 1 will do nicely.

A bit steep price-wise, but been a FW model and also much bigger (a different Pattern from the plastic one, which explains that well enough), I'm fine with adding this to my collection.

Can't wait to see the FW conversion kits for the plastic model though.

jeffersonian000
03-06-2014, 19:52
Did anyone else notice that if taken as an Imperial Knight detachment, the only limit is that you cannot take more Lancers than Paladin/Errants, which means you can make a Lancer a Seneschal. +1 stats and possibly Warlord. My plans to convert one is now in full swing!

SJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axeman1n
04-06-2014, 00:55
Why recycle a special rule from a different codex and give it a different effect? Swift strike is supposed to give a +3 to init I thought.

The bearded one
04-06-2014, 01:16
I can't even look at that model without thinking how absurd that weird framework shield looks on it. That's just Dreadknight level weird for me.

Bigger legs, bigger stride.

And I suppose with a filled shield it'll start looking even more like something from Warmachine.

Mauler
04-06-2014, 08:24
Bigger legs, bigger stride.

And I suppose with a filled shield it'll start looking even more like something from Warmachine.

Plus if it's plunging a lance into a super-heavy you'll want it taller to engage Titans. Height is always more difficult to gain than lose.