PDA

View Full Version : Characteristic tests and modifiers

King Arthur
03-06-2014, 17:29
I have two questions:
1. If a spell targets a unit with a debuff upon such as in the lore of dark magic with the spell which reduces the weapon skill would they have to take the tests upon the modified value or nor?
2. If a character or unit champion has a magic item which increases the characteristic do they take their characteristic on the higher value e.g. sword of might against dwellers (presumed no but I may be surprised).

Ramius4
03-06-2014, 17:36
I have two questions:
1. If a spell targets a unit with a debuff upon such as in the lore of dark magic with the spell which reduces the weapon skill would they have to take the tests upon the modified value or nor?
2. If a character or unit champion has a magic item which increases the characteristic do they take their characteristic on the higher value e.g. sword of might against dwellers (presumed no but I may be surprised).

1. Yes. Unless whatever is causing the test tells you to use the unmodified value.
2. It depends on the item. Magic weapons only confer their bonus in close combat, so in that case, no.

Wesser
04-06-2014, 10:34
There's been a lot of discussion about bearer/wielder/striker when it comes to magic weapons including the ghastly Piranha Blade/Stegadon Helm mess.

Most people only count bonuses from weapons in CC, but if some magic helm provided a static +1 STR for instance I would count that...unless the test calls for unmodified (the most ill-defined rule in fantasy in my opinion) tests

King Arthur
04-06-2014, 12:30
Alright thanks just checking thats what we played it as.

Blkc57
05-06-2014, 03:14
Here are the relevant FAQ's for you to use as well King Athur:

Q: Does a magic item or spell that gives a bonus to a characteristic, do so bonus for all rules purposes (e.g. the effect of spells, characteristic tests, etc)? (p4)
A: Yes, except for magic weapons or where the description of the item or spell specifically says otherwise.

Q: Does a weapon that gives a bonus to a characteristic only give that bonus when being used to attack a model?(p4)
A: Most weapons, including magic weapons, state when the bonus is given. For example, a model with the Fencer’s Blades will always have Weapon Skill 10 whilst a model with a great weapon will only have +2 Strength when striking an enemy in close combat. When a weapon does not say when the characteristic bonus applies, then it only applies when striking, or being struck, in close combat