PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids in Fantasy - need help

The_Peacemaker
04-06-2014, 19:04
I am wanting to convert my Tyranid army into a fantasy army.

I've kinda narrowed it down to proxy them as either demons or lizardmen.
Or if you have a suggestion for another army then please tell.

I've read over the codex's for both but would still like some insight from players who know more than I do about these armies.

Would warriors of chaos work?
I like the idea of having a Hive Tyrant flying around casting spells.

I'm currently leaning towards lizardmen because the various units fit alot of tyranid units but it does lack a Psyker Hive Tyrant proxy.

Models the army proxy should be using:
1 Hive Tyrant - winged or not (winged would be cooler).
2 Carnifex's.
9 Warriors
Guants - shooty
Guants - close combat
Genestealers

Stuff I would like to find a way to fit in:
6 Raveners
1 Biothrope
swarms
3 Hive guard(shooty guys)

PlasticSwap.Com
04-06-2014, 19:08
I'd go with demons as the theme fits a little better (tyranids look like demons more than lizards). You could then also still have your hive tyrant flying around and casting spells :).

The_Peacemaker
04-06-2014, 19:11
I'd go with demons as the theme fits a little better (tyranids look like demons more than lizards). You could then also still have your hive tyrant flying around and casting spells :).

I need help with figureing out what tyranid units proxy well with demon ones. Mainly because I don't know demons that well - especially with base sizes, height, etc... so I finid it hard to match proxies.

Sexiest_hero
04-06-2014, 19:18
I'd go with lizard men or skaven. Lizaedmen if you want big bugs, skaven if you want hordes Warrior prime for Warlord on bonebreaker, Hive tyrand for Verminlord, gants for slaves, Warriors for rat ogres, Genestealers for storm vermin, Zoanthropes for warp lighting cannon, Biovorve for plague catapults, brood lord for assassin, Carnifex for doom wheel, swarms for giant rats. It all just fits together.

Sexiest_hero
04-06-2014, 19:19
double post sorry.

Ramius4
04-06-2014, 19:20
Whatever you do, it would need to be an army on fairly large bases if you want to be able to rank anything up. Hormagaunts and Termagants aren't exactly small...

3eland
04-06-2014, 20:27
+1 for Daemons. A cool Slaanesh themed maybe.

Ramius4
04-06-2014, 20:34
Here's the issue I see...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/1/21/16633-Hormagaunts,%20Tyranids,%20Warhammer%2040,000,%20W arhammer%20Fantasy.jpg

Those bases are the same depth as a 25mm square base. I don't see how a person could even convert them to rank up at all unless they were basically standing straight up on their tails. They're just way too long.

On a 50x25mm cavalry base they'd probably rank up fine, but not on 25mm.

The_Peacemaker
04-06-2014, 20:38
Here's the issue I see...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/1/21/16633-Hormagaunts,%20Tyranids,%20Warhammer%2040,000,%20W arhammer%20Fantasy.jpg

Those bases are the same depth as a 25mm square base. I don't see how a person could even convert them to rank up at all unless they were basically standing straight up on their tails. They're just way too long.
On a 50x25mm cavalry base they'd probably rank up fine, but not on 25mm.

I actually don't have alot of hormogaunts. And the ones I do have i converted to stand more straight.
It would be awesome if one of these armies had some dogs or beasts to put hormogaunts on the cav bases.

Sexiest_hero
04-06-2014, 21:15
daemons have dogs!

3eland
04-06-2014, 21:29
Looking at my collection now (Funnily enough I like to paint so they are everywhere in my house) There is nothing that would fit a file and rank army. Even my carrying cases are special cut due to their organic shapes. I like to pose them all differently too, so my warriors as an example don't all look the same.

If I was to create Tyranids in a new system, it would be Legion for Hordes. Warhammer Fantasy is going to be tough.

The_Peacemaker
04-06-2014, 21:49
I just looked at the warriors of chaos book.

How come no one has suggested these guys?
Demon Prince is Hive Tyrant
Chaos Warrior is a genestealer
Maruaders are termagaunts
Chaos hounds are hormogaunts
Ogres, Dragon Ogres, Trolls can all be variets of warriors and raveners
And there are several monsters that can be various kinds of Carnifex's.

And the stats on alot of the stuff match what tyranids are. Chaos warriors have high intiative, attacks,
Maruaders are statline 3 cheap guants
Regeneration all over the place fits will with Tyranids.

And with all the various marks I can tweak everything to try and fit what they look like.

3eland
04-06-2014, 21:52
Stealers won't rank up very well either. I was initially going to suggest WoC since they can run a mixture of base sizes. I think ogre Kingdoms are all 40mm with I think gnoblars as 20mm (?) and Sabre tusks which could do many Tyranid models.

I think you need to a) pick an army with 25mm bases and/or Cav/large base creatures and b) test a unit of say 20 to see if it is even possible to rank and file them correctly.

The_Peacemaker
04-06-2014, 22:08
Stealers won't rank up very well either. I was initially going to suggest WoC since they can run a mixture of base sizes. I think ogre Kingdoms are all 40mm with I think gnoblars as 20mm (?) and Sabre tusks which could do many Tyranid models.

I think you need to a) pick an army with 25mm bases and/or Cav/large base creatures and b) test a unit of say 20 to see if it is even possible to rank and file them correctly.

I've cut my genestealer arms and repositioned them. In 40k close combat you have to squeeze in(basically rank up).
Ranking up is not a problem.
With the 25mm bases the genestealers wll do just fine - I also have alot of space hulk stealers.
Hormogaunts on cav bases do just fine(thankfully).
Only thing that does worry be is the termagaunts. They got long bodies. I remember I was able to rank them up with the round bases with all the models at an angle.

Its too bad the Lizardmen suck. Those rules for cold blooded and predatory fighter fit well with how tyranids look.

I never knew warriors of chaos had so many units. I don't play against them often and you usually just see the cookie cutter builds.

Mithras69
04-06-2014, 22:16
Why do you think Lizardmen suck?

The_Peacemaker
04-06-2014, 22:22
Why do you think Lizardmen suck?

Well after reading through these other army books they seem overpriced. Saurus warriors, the triceratops, and skink skirmishers seem fairly priced. Everything else is just too much for what they bring to the table. Except the slan/temple guard combo of course.
Keep in mind I'm not saying its the worst codex out there. But when you read the lizardmen army book and then read the warriors of chaos armybook, it feels like they were written for different editions.

The_Peacemaker
05-06-2014, 00:15

I pulled out my models and the genestealers rank up well on the 25mm square bases if I reposition the side arms so they are not sticking out.

The termaguants however do not fit on the 20mm bases. They will fit on the 25mm bases.

In my mind the termaguants look the part of a smaller base toughness 3 thing but when you compare the model to a human it looks alot bigger and meaner.

EvanM
05-06-2014, 00:44
okay everyone thinks ranking up is the issue but maybe it wont be.

you want a tryant flying around casting spells, go daemons or WoC for sure because they are the only people who get monsterous flying warrior mages.

GrandmasterWang
05-06-2014, 04:02
Daemons are the best fit I think.

Bloodletters or Daemonettes for Genestealers is a decent fit. Hive tyrant as a greater Daemon.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The_Peacemaker
05-06-2014, 19:53
The one thing I do not like about demons is that you can't use the leadership of the Lord if your a different mark. And tyranids is all about being in range of the hivemind for control and leadership.

So going with Warriors of Chaos. I do need some help with picking the appropriate proxies and possible future proxies.

Hive Tyrant /wings - Demon Prince
Genestealers - Chaos Warriors, I'm thinking extra hand weapon or nothing.
Hormogaunts - Chaos Warhounds with mutant poisions
Tyranid Warriors - Chaos Ogres with extra hand weapon. And probably mark of nurgle because of lash whips. Although mark of slanesh would work too because they are supposed to be leaders.
Raveners - chaos trolls with extra hand weapon

For the monsters I'm not too sure and need some help.
I got one old metal biovore I could use as a hellcannon but it just doesn't look very scary. I could go genestealer cult and put a few genestealers with him as the handlers. Or just a chaos spawn.
I got a 2 plastic carnifex. one is built the other to be constructed. Now I'm thinking GoreBeast Chariot because of the cool impact hits and such. But those aren't monsters, don't cause terror. I could use some help here. A couple of Dragon ogre Shaggoths? Or I can get some more wings and make one of them a chimera.
I also have an old carnifex who I was going to convert into Old One Eye - The crab clawed regenerating carnifex. He has Mutilth vortex beast written all over him. The old carnifex's are smaller so could easily pass as a gorebeast charriot.

The Termaguants I do not know what to do with. I've got like 60 of them so would love to add them as 6pt mauraders but they are way to big for the 20mm bases. I can just leave them out of the army since with the genestealers and hormogaunts I should fill up core pretty quick. Would be nice to have 1 cheap horde for the tyranid theme though.

3eland
05-06-2014, 20:48
Raveners as Trolls would work, then use the Red Terror as the Troll character.

Gaunts as dogs fits, they are both a "throw away" unit.

Mark of Khorne with extra hand weapon would fit Genestealers if you're going to go that way with them. Their statline matches pretty closely, you'll need to convert some for the command units but the Space Hulk ones would work nicely.

If only Broodlord would fit on 25mm, he would make a good combat hero/lord

Swarms could work as marauders, especially since most cases you take marauders in large blocks (even hordes)

It's going to be hard making characters since most of the good choices are so big. You could probably base a Zoanthrope on a 25mm base for a sorcerer hero/lord. The old metal ones (the skinnier ones) would work best.

Carnifexes could work as Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, could also work for the Gorebeast. The model fits a chariot bases well (minus it's scything talons)

I would choose an Exocrine for the Hellcannon.

Haruspex screams Vortex beast.

The_Peacemaker
05-06-2014, 20:52
I forgot,
what the heck do I use Hive Guard as? I got 3 of them.
And I got 2 lictors I was just going to throw in with warriors or raveners. Any suggestions?

3eland
05-06-2014, 20:54
Shooty bugs don't really fit WoC well since WoC is not a shooty army. I could say Dragon ogres are really the only option left but even then they are fairly big themselves.

Shadeseraph
05-06-2014, 23:28
It is going to be very, very tought to rank those 'nidies up.

GrandmasterWang
06-06-2014, 02:12
Marauders are 25 mm base. Should make things a bit easier for you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

infamousme
06-06-2014, 04:51
The Termaguants I do not know what to do with. I've got like 60 of them so would love to add them as 6pt mauraders but they are way to big for the 20mm bases. I can just leave them out of the army since with the genestealers and hormogaunts I should fill up core pretty quick. Would be nice to have 1 cheap horde for the tyranid theme though.
Its been quite some time since i built any, but I'm sure marauders are on 25mm bases.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Charistoph
06-06-2014, 17:58
Does any one know of a Tyranid homebrew book, out of curiosity?

The_Peacemaker
06-06-2014, 19:31
Does any one know of a Tyranid homebrew book, out of curiosity?

I could write a very balanced one. I'm quite good at writing balanced rules but GW doesn't care much about balance so they won't hire me.

It wouldn't take much. You just grab a Tyranid codex and convert it over.

I did not know that the mauroders were on the 25mm bases. I just assumed that since they were toughness 3 humans they would be on the 20mm.
This solves every problem. Now I can use my termaguants as cheap Marauders.

Raveners as Trolls would work, then use the Red Terror as the Troll character.
Mark of Khorne with extra hand weapon would fit Genestealers if you're going to go that way with them. Their statline matches pretty closely, you'll need to convert some for the command units but the Space Hulk ones would work nicely.

If only Broodlord would fit on 25mm, he would make a good combat hero/lord
It's going to be hard making characters since most of the good choices are so big. You could probably base a Zoanthrope on a 25mm base for a sorcerer hero/lord. The old metal ones (the skinnier ones) would work best.

Carnifexes could work as Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, could also work for the Gorebeast. The model fits a chariot bases well (minus it's scything talons)

I would choose an Exocrine for the Hellcannon.

Haruspex screams Vortex beast.

Curious as to why the mark of khorne for genestealers? I figured since genestealers are the brood that think the most independant they would be able to control themselves.
But I guess they do look like they would be frenzied.

The space hulk broodlord could fit on a 25mm base If i cut it down but its a pretty nice model and don't want to convert the space hulk mini's since they are limited. I might just put him on a base and just live with it sticking out a bit. Or I could stick him on a cav base and say he is mounted. My old metal guy is too big as well.

I didn't think about the Exocrine or Haruspex since GW took their sweet time releasing models since I glanced at that 5th edition codex and decided to stop playing 40k. Heh, the carnifex I have in pieces I was converting to be a Tervigon before I gave up and started playing Fantasy.
But its makes things easier for what to do with my plastic carnfex and metal carnifex. Dragon Ogre Shaggoth's and gore beast chariot.

Well I'll be ordering some bases from Shogun min's trays. But I have to wait for Bret rumors about the lance formation because I want to order some movement trays too.
In the meantime my carnifex and warriors go in the freezer so I can snap off those guns, and I'll be repositioning genestealer arms.

Charistoph
07-06-2014, 20:39
I could write a very balanced one. I'm quite good at writing balanced rules but GW doesn't care much about balance so they won't hire me.

It wouldn't take much. You just grab a Tyranid codex and convert it over.

Probably take a little more than a straight crossover as things like Rending Claws on Core would be rather obnoxiously priced or over-powered

A fun challenge. If I wasn't in the middle of two others, I'd start it in Rules Development.

3eland
07-06-2014, 20:47
Probably take a little more than a straight crossover as things like Rending Claws on Core would be rather obnoxiously priced or over-powered

A fun challenge. If I wasn't in the middle of two others, I'd start it in Rules Development.

Well if you adapted it with Daemons it could be done. Daemonettes have rending in 40k and AP in Fantasy. By comparing the changes between Daemons 40k/WHFB you could probably get a decent codex made up.

meowser
08-06-2014, 06:26
Daemons. Hands down. Nothing else is appropriate

Big guys as your lord choice and soul crushers

Gaunts and Stealers as core infantry. Gaunts could also work as Hounds or Seekers, or Termagaunts as flamers/horrors

Gargoyles as Furies

Warriors, Raveners, Tyrant Guard as Monstrous units (Fiends, Drones, Crushers, Screamers)

Rippers or spore mines as nurglings

tmr8188
08-06-2014, 15:41
Doesn't GW make LOTR movement trays? The kind that accept circular bases but rank up. I'd go that route instead of rebasing and just have spare bases for the big stuff. It'll also help if you made some kind of scenic bases with signs that clearly say what the unit is.

The_Peacemaker
11-06-2014, 23:58
Doesn't GW make LOTR movement trays? The kind that accept circular bases but rank up. I'd go that route instead of rebasing and just have spare bases for the big stuff. It'll also help if you made some kind of scenic bases with signs that clearly say what the unit is.

I am going to be getting shogun magnetic bases and just glue the round bases on top.
And yes I will have some kind of sign for each unit.

But honestly if you just have movement trays the, square or circle bases all rank up fine anyway. Especially if they are magnetic.

Well if you adapted it with Daemons it could be done. Daemonettes have rending in 40k and AP in Fantasy. By comparing the changes between Daemons 40k/WHFB you could probably get a decent codex made up.

See this is what I mean when I say it takes a certain mind to write up a balanced rules set.
To me a straight crossover means you look at the rule in 40k, quickly check for a counterpart in fantasy. Check if the unit still fits its fluff role. Then adjust points accordingly.
Its obvious to me that rending = Armour piercing. But I just have a writers mind I guess.