PDA

View Full Version : New to 40k - Need help choosing from 3 armies

Nez90
05-06-2014, 00:28
Hey guys.

After a long period of playing WHFB it's grown a little stale for me, so with the new 40k rules, I figure now might be the time to cross over into 40k. I picked up the rulebook a few days ago, and I've been (slowly) working my way through the book (admittedly only ready the movement/psychic phases thoroughly due to work etc).

Through browsing models, I've narrowed it down to 3 armies I'm considering as my first 40k force. Those armies are the Space Marines, the Imperial Gu- Astra Militarum, and the Necrons. They all seem to have a large number of plastic models, particularly the Marines and Necrons, which definitely appeals to me.

I'm a very slow painter, so I'm ideally looking for an army that's on the lower model count side of things. Play-style wise, what I think I'm looking for is an army that is mainly geared towards shooting, but is capable of holding it's own in close combat should the need arise. I'm far from a competitive player though, so if something isn't top tier, I'm not too fussed.

I figure that out of the three armies, the one that least suits my style is IG/AM, but the units like the Bullgryns really interest me model wise, so the IG/AM are definitely a consideration of mine.

What I'm looking for is a bit of help regarding the playstyle of the three armies, what they're good at and not so good at, and if possible, what you'd recommend as a starting point for these forces.

Any other help is greatly appreciated as well, and a big thank you for your help in advance!

Nez90

Zothos
05-06-2014, 00:41
Necron model count can be quite low. They favor shooting. Also, they can be one of the easiest armies to paint, depending on scheme.

They also have some great assault choices in Wraiths and Scarabs.

Mauler
05-06-2014, 13:57
I think that Necrons may be the closest fit: you can bung loads of details onto the characters and better units but for Warriors all you really need to do is undercoat in black, drybrush a metallic over the whole thing and then if desired use a solid second colour for the ribcage and maybe the face. Astoundingly quick and easy to do. Pick a contrasting colour to sparingly use on non-Warrior units (like the stripe on a Deathmark's forehead) to make them stand out a bit and there you go.

You've got infantry, heavy infantry, jump infantry, assault units, swarm units, one MC, skimmer vehicles, (currently) cheap flyers, a super-heavy and a HQ chariot. And Triarch Stalkers look brilliant.

For my lil' 'Cron force I went with a bronze/brass metallic, red solid and a very light grey/white for contrast. Green eyes, done.

Wakerofgods
05-06-2014, 14:41
One aspect I can comment on: if two of the three armies you're looking into are 'battle brothers' on the alliance table then why not choose them?

If you pick space marines you can paint few models and ally in your favourite Astra Milatarium units.

Zothos
05-06-2014, 17:37
Because allies are an abomination that should not exist.

Chem-Dog
06-06-2014, 10:18
Guard can be a fairly small and cheap force, concentrating on well equipped Veterans with fill out points costs fairly rapidly, you could even turn to the Militarum Tempestus as an army to make it a little bit smaller and elite-er (though this will be partially dependant on how you feel about the Scion models and/or how willing you are to knock together your own versions.) The advantage of MT force is that it can be carried over into a larger IG army as Platoons (allowing you to start with one and expand into the other as much or as little as you like) and vice versa.

Assuming that you pick Scions as the stock models, they are quite a rewarding paint that doesn't have to be too fiddly but they'll always need more attention than Necrons which can be adequately table ready with a black spray, silver drybrush and few spots of <insert your "energy" colour here>.. Marines are somewhere in the middle of the two depending on the chapter of choice and Guardsmen (again assuming stock models) between the Scions and Marines.

Personally I reckon that if the Imperial Guard are on your list they should be at the top of it. :D

Latro_
06-06-2014, 11:01
If you are a slow painter then Necrons or Marines are ideal for you.

Arkanious
06-06-2014, 11:12
Another option that would fit what you said you are looking for could also be Grey Knights. They are space marines of a sort with their own codex. Then can be extremely shooty as well as being tough nut to crack in close combat. Also depending on how you want to play them you can even make a 1500 point army with as few as 10-15 models so it doesn't get much more elite then that. Also the color scheme for Grey Knights is pretty simple so that is another plus for them.

Pato
09-06-2014, 01:34
as said prev...
Would go for SM and use what i find cool as "battle brother" allies from AM, or the other way around. might fit better w the background since marines are the scalpel of the emperor :)

as for choosing chapter if you are choosing marines id go for something really easy to paint such as Iron Hands (just black+metal).

09philj
09-06-2014, 11:20
I would pick Necrons. IG/AM are OK, but I wouldn't recommend them to a first time player. Space marines, I may just be biased against because most defeats I've had have been against space marines, although they're god for a first time player. Necrons should be relatively easy to paint, and have some very nice special characters. (I'd recommend Zandrekh)

Still Standing
09-06-2014, 11:32
Horus Heresy Marines!

druchii
09-06-2014, 15:03
Here's another vote for Grey Knights.

They're small armies almost by default, easy to paint (spray em silver, wash 'em blue, dry brush silver, and pick out details) competitive, forgiving for new players, and actually pretty cool. They're still SORTA space marines, too!

d

Greyfox-ex
09-06-2014, 15:31
I had this problem a while ago, space marines are very new player friendly (well depending what chapter you pick lol) I'm a slow painter too, for that reason I would not go with the Astra but that's just my opinion, I would say necrons personally they are quite diffrent and the reason your looking at 40k as your last game got "stale" I'd avoid spave marines and go for a slightly more interesting army.

i adore space marines (blood angels for me) but they are played but a LOT of ppl.

Skratchington
09-06-2014, 19:15
I think I agree with most everyone here in saying that from the info you provided in the original post, Necrons might be your best bet, followed closely by Space Marines. Maybe those two choices are even on par, but I'm not quite knowledgble enough in 40k yet to say that with any sort of authority.
I guess when it comes right down to it, though, as someone who's starting a new 40k army for the first time for this new edition, I've found a massive part of deciding will hinge on two simple things; which model range you like the look, feel, and whole aesthetic of, and which faction's background and personality you can really get behind. These things make all the difference. Necrons, Astartes, and Astra Militarum are all great, exciting armies, and you can make each of them as model heavy or model light as you'd like (relatively, of course...), but I highly recommend choosing the one that you dig the look of most, and the one that's background personality and such you most connect with and find yourself most inspired there. Do this, and everything else will fall into place.

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using Tapatalk

NemoSD
09-06-2014, 19:48
I am going to throw my vote in on IG because well IG is awesome. They don't really fit exactly where you are looking for. Most of the time we fold under assault, although we are normally pretty good at the whole not getting assaulted in the first place.

As far as painting, IG are REALLY easy to paint.

Method:

Build your infantry dudes, build your tanks, build your command, (Not commissars here.)

Then choose a uniform color, brown, tan, green, orange, etc...

Buy color in spray can. Place infantry, tanks, etc (Not commissars they have a different scheme) in a spray box. Spray paint entire army. Accent base color by painting flak armor plates a different color, match to helmet, add flesh tones, maybe paint the boots black or brown, add detail to medals and tanks. And done.

Charistoph
09-06-2014, 22:28
Then choose a uniform color, brown, tan, green, orange, etc...

I would add that more than most armies, IG forces are commonly comprised of units from numerous worlds and planets. It's not uncommon for Catachan Infantry to be supported by Cadian Tanks, so go you can go wild and have a very diverse force just by having Platoons painted differently as if they came from different homeworlds and commands.

It's harder to be fluffy with a Space Marine force (but it IS doable, just keep them "related" in Traits), and even harder to work that in a Necron Lord's story (unless they're like SG-1's Goa'uld and will use other Lord's soldiers as chaff).

Abaraxas
09-06-2014, 23:03
Every man and his dog has a Space Marine army, and besides being another "good guy" faction Imperial Guard are going to cost you both arms and legs.

I don't play the current game, but I'd go with Necrons.

Okapi
10-06-2014, 10:06
The one thing to consider with Necrons is that almost everyone will outrange you. If you want to play the artillery game, look elsewhere. In that regard they're almost the opposite of Imperial Guard. Of the three armies, Space Marines is certainly the most flexible, but as a jack of all trades it isn't really the best at anything.

Renga
10-06-2014, 12:10
Seems like you are in the same boat as I am... but I'm not here to hijack your thread... (I'll make one of my own later on hehe).

Good luck with your choice, and I'll be curious to know what eventually made you pick what you picked.

elparker
11-06-2014, 06:03
I'm not a huge fan of the marines, and have not looked through their most recent codex(es), but I can give a bit of insight on the AM and necrons.

Necrons:
I started necrons in 3rd edition and to this day they have a special place in my heart. Necrons are most known for 3 things; midrange firepower that scours away all before it, flying croissants, and refusing to stay dead. Most necron units have the reanimation protocols special rule which gives them a 1/3 chance of getting back on their feet at the end of the phase in which they were squished. This can be boosted to a 50/50 chance through your overlord and his royal court. Combine similar stats to a space marine or better and this means that your opponents will have a hard time removing full squads from the table in one turn.

Your basic troops are some of the most reliable in the game. There is literally nothing they cannot shoot to death with basic weaponry. If you start with necrons, then I would recommend getting 2 full troops choices (any mix will do) with a standard overlord (do not start with a named character, they change far too much of how your list functions for a new player, and often restrict options due to high cost) to fill out your base requirements. When you expand I would suggest getting wraiths (counter charge, take the fight to your opponent, and generally mess with their head), scarabs (decent tarpit unit that can devour vehicles and, if used wisely, can be fairly difficult to deal with), or the jetbikes (highly manueverable firepower that come with great options) and then take a heavy support choice, preferably something like the annihilation barge.

The most important thing to remember when expanding is that the necrons get far better when you have mutually supporting choices working together. An overlord hiding in a 20 man warrior brick backed by a ghost ark is extremely difficult to shift and can take out literally everything your opponent can throw at you. Necrons have powerful units, but are at their most powerful when all the cogs in the machine are working together rather than as independent elements.

Astra Millitarum:
Regardless of what anyone says the AM are, were, and always will be a hoard army. If you take less than 60-80 models in a game then something is seriously wrong. You will either have masses of infantry, masses of tanks and artillery, or just simply masses of both whether or not you go the elite route with tooled up mech vets or infantry platoons.

The strength of the AM are masses of adequate troops/vehicles supported by advisers and supplemented by orders. You can blob up fifty guys, make them fearless, and give them heavy and special weapons all for less than 500 points. They aren't particularly great at anything, but when shooting that many guns you will kill something. The vehicles follow the same philosophy with up to 15 heavy tanks in a single force org chart, one of them being your warlord.

You also have several elite options that you can take advantage of, and those are mostly personal taste choices. I really like the bullgryns with the slab shields because they are very tough and act as a mobile aegis defence line for your more fragile units to advance behind and come in handy when you need counter assault or flat out anti mob blasts spammed. Put them in front of an aegis with heavy weapon teams behind, and your heavies will almost never die due to a 3+ cover save.

AM can struggle quite a bit when it comes to advancing out of the gunline, but it can be done. I recommend at least one infantry platoon with heavy weapons teams to form a firing to form your center with the rest of your units assigned to either fire support or advancing to objectives in mind. This will keep your opponent from having any obvious choices to make when they are assigning targets.

Hope this helps a bit!

DoctorTom
11-06-2014, 18:55
Astra Millitarum:
Regardless of what anyone says the AM are, were, and always will be a hoard army. If you take less than 60-80 models in a game then something is seriously wrong. You will either have masses of infantry, masses of tanks and artillery, or just simply masses of both whether or not you go the elite route with tooled up mech vets or infantry platoons.

You don't need 60-80 models if you're going with an armored company, which is possible with the new codex. A couple of units of Veterans in Chimera (or Taurox) will satisfy the troops, Tank commanders (and/or Pask) can be taken as HQ, more Russes can be added and if you wish, some wyverns, basilisks and/or hydras to suit. Pask in a Punisher can be especially nasty (20 rending shots can do a job on light armored stuff as well as infantry), along with a different flavor of Russ for the rest of his unit.

tneva82
11-06-2014, 19:06
You don't need 60-80 models if you're going with an armored company, which is possible with the new codex. A couple of units of Veterans in Chimera (or Taurox) will satisfy the troops, Tank commanders (and/or Pask) can be taken as HQ, more Russes can be added and if you wish, some wyverns, basilisks and/or hydras to suit. Pask in a Punisher can be especially nasty (20 rending shots can do a job on light armored stuff as well as infantry), along with a different flavor of Russ for the rest of his unit.

Pask in punisher takes out anything from infantry to monsters to light tanks to heavy tanks. It's IG's best land raider killer!

But yeah mek-IG won't be too model heavy. 2 for HQ, 22 for troops, 6-8 for heavy support, 0-3 for fast attack would give fairly decent sized army. Less than 40 models. Could get to 1850 fairly easily.

elparker
12-06-2014, 06:09
I stand corrected on actual numbers if you go treadhead. It's still a hoard of armor.

I would restrict the russes to the HQ to keep the heavy options open for the artillery and AA personally. The russ makes me happy, but it is not the best spam unit out there. A unit of hellhounds to clear out units in cover would just be mean with that much ordinance on the table.