PDA

View Full Version : What Eldar kits do you think will get plastic?

Getifa Ubazza
05-06-2014, 10:00
As the title says. What Eldar kits do you think will get plastic kits, when the next Eldar codex rolls around?

I think we could be looking at something like;

Eldar Warlocks (Box of 5)

Swooping Hawks (Box of 5)

Eldar Rangers (Box of 5)

and an Autarch kit

Anyway, that's what I think. What do you think?

Born Again
05-06-2014, 10:05
Well, this time around I thought we might get jetbikes/ shining spears, wraithguard, and some kind of aspect warrior combo kit (I can see Scorpions/ Dragons, Swooping Hawks/ Banshees, and Reapers/ Warp Spiders all being compatible kit-wise). Instead, we got an oversized wraithlord, so... who knows?

mongoosedog300
05-06-2014, 10:18
Everything that's currently finecast....Or go back to metal, there's just something so satisfying about metal models.

tneva82
05-06-2014, 10:22
Everything that's currently finecast....Or go back to metal, there's just something so satisfying about metal models.

Like constant paint chipping and headaches with converting?

Plastic is god's bless for gaming pieces.

Felwether
05-06-2014, 10:30

Amen.

Nostalgia aside, metal's a *********** nightmare to work with.

As for plastic Eldar kits, I'd be happy with a set of Jetbikes/Shining Spears. I'd start a Saim Hann army in a second if they finally updated that kit.

Althenian Armourlost
05-06-2014, 10:34
All the aspect warriors. Next codex will be Biel-tan focus, not Iyanden.

Focused speculation
Dual kit, howling banshees and swooping hawks (both 4+ armour, leaping legs like scourges - legs identical to dire avengers for interchangeability)
Dual kit, scorpions and fire dragons (both 3+ armour, aggressive stance but both feet on the floor)
Dual kit, warp spiders and dark reapers (neutral stances, 3+ armour)
Dual kit, shining spears and jetbikes

Wild 'n' hopeful speculation
Dual kit, warlocks and spiritseers (maybe)
Assault vehicle, new design (maybe)

Christmas 2015 Aspect warrior bundle after summer campaign release

tneva82
05-06-2014, 10:39
That would be nice list and would make sense. Too bad GW feels need to add unit or two to new releases and there's limited release slots every time so getting those 4 dual kits(also 4 dual kits might be too optimistic to begin with) would be unlikely.

Jet bikes I would take as a given since they already exists. Hopefully with shining spear bits added to the sprues!

stahly
05-06-2014, 11:28
I could see two approaches on how to do Aspect Warriors in plastic: Either dual kits with 5 models on a medium sized frame that basically only share the leg parts, or single kits on a half sized medium frame/two small frames, with 5 models that are basically snap-fit models with the only optional parts reserved for the Exarch. To keep the number of parts low to squeeze the models into an as small as possible frame. But I guess dual kits are the way to go, as they keep the number of product lines lower and Eldar are still in need of a lot of plastic.

So I could imagine:

- Howling Banshees/Swooping Hawks dual kit (shared leaping legs with the back molded on, chest pieces with boobies and loincloths for Banshees or chest pieces with grenade launchers for Hawks, different arms and heads and separate wings to attach to the back)
- Scorpions/Warp Spiders dual kit (shared aggressive leg stances with the back molded on, slightly crouching pose, different chests, arms and heads, warp jump generator part to glue to the back)
- Fire Dragons/Dark Reapers dual kit (shared wide leg stances with the back molded on, chest pieces with large codpiece attached for Reapers, chest pieces with ribbons for Dragons, different arms, heads and stuff)
- plastic Autarch clam pack, basic weapon options, compatible with heads and arms from the Aspect kits

This would make a nice 2 week release with a Biel-Tan supplement for example or could accommodate the next codex if they shift the focus to Biel-Tan.

Also I could imagine we'll see at some point:
- Jetbikes/Shining Spear dual kits (hopefully with parts for a Warlock rider, maybe even CC arms for Saim-Hann style Wild Riders?)
- Warlock clam pack, similar to the Dwarf rune lord with both weapon options and one or two different heads (don't think they'll make a Warlock box set)
- Rangers kit (with Pathfinders upgrade parts, maybe they'll flesh out Pathfinders by giving them specific war gear or the like, so probably a kit reserved for a next codex)

Some rather wild guesses which I don't expect to appear before a couple of years:
- recut Falcon, combined with another new tank variant (for example something anti air like a Firestorm)
- redesigned Vyper (Jes Goodwin isn't happy with the model anymore, and they could add another Vyper variant kit like a Venom style small transport vessel)
- recut Guardian squad with Storm Guardian parts
- more plastic characters like Spiritseers or special characters
- Farseer/Autarch on jetbike dual kit
- plastic Avatar (with weapon options)
- more "centrepiece" kits… maybe another flyer or a walker to close the gap between the Wraithlord and the Wraithknight

Mauler
05-06-2014, 12:12
Well, this time around I thought we might get jetbikes/ shining spears, wraithguard, and some kind of aspect warrior combo kit (I can see Scorpions/ Dragons, Swooping Hawks/ Banshees, and Reapers/ Warp Spiders all being compatible kit-wise). Instead, we got an oversized wraithlord, so... who knows?

A wise choice, IMO. New units like Wraithknights & Wraithblades are always better to have than a rehash of an old unit from metal/finecast to plastic for the sake of it.

Jes Goodwin was faced with the choice of a plastic jetbike or a new unit of Wraithblades. He made the correct call, IMO, despite the new Eldar jetbike design being around for ages. Poor Jes, that's gotta suck. Having a load of new designs and only having the resources to bring a handful in at a time.

Born Again
05-06-2014, 12:36
Oh, I've got no problem with the Wraithguard/ Wraithblades whatsoever. They were needed and are excellent models. My problem is purely with the Wraithknight, which was hauled out of mostly forgotten background purely to fulfill the requirement that each new release be accompanied by a large monster kit (Dreadknight, Riptide, Haruspex etc) even though the Aspect Warriors were sorely needed and would have sold just as well, I imagine. What makes it worse is that if they wanted to do a big monster kit for the Eldar, there were other options available - but they left us with the same Avatar model that's been around since the early 90's. I think that was a bad decision.

Althenian Armourlost
05-06-2014, 13:52
Forgeworld make a very cool avatar kit though, so it's not too much of a problem if you don't mind laying out money for it. I have only ever seen FW avatars on the table since their release.

I hope they release aspect warrior / Biel-Tan focused Eldar next time and not jet bike / Siam-Hann focused Eldar. The jetbikes are still perfectly serviceable, but the aspect warriors given a quality of release like the Dark Eldar would be beautiful.

Karhedron
05-06-2014, 14:31
Given that the new Jetbike design exists, I think it is more likely than plastic Aspect Warriors or Warlocks. Hopefully a frame to allow shining spears to be done as well and maybe one for the mounted seers that would inevitably ben required.

The aspect warrior designs are too diverse to be satisfyingly done in plastic at the moment IMHO. Trying to produce multiple aspects from a single kit will just dilute both of them.

Mauler
05-06-2014, 14:42
Oh, I've got no problem with the Wraithguard/ Wraithblades whatsoever. They were needed and are excellent models. My problem is purely with the Wraithknight, which was hauled out of mostly forgotten background purely to fulfill the requirement that each new release be accompanied by a large monster kit (Dreadknight, Riptide, Haruspex etc) even though the Aspect Warriors were sorely needed and would have sold just as well, I imagine. What makes it worse is that if they wanted to do a big monster kit for the Eldar, there were other options available - but they left us with the same Avatar model that's been around since the early 90's. I think that was a bad decision.

Given GW's current trend of resurrecting old concepts (namely Knights and walkers at this point) I think they did a fine job with the Wraithknight. Without it, Eldar players would have to fall back onto the Lynx or way more expensive super-heavy tanks and Titans to get an even standing. Aspect Warriors already exist as models and thus it makes a lot more business sense to release a new model that everyone will buy rather than re-releasing old units that a lot of players won't buy because they already have models.

Some Aspects really do need new models though, Hawks & Scorpions especially IMO. Reapers look fine, Banshees & Fire Dragons also hold their own compared to newer designs also. Spiders I'm 50/50 on as I love the models as they are but they could do with a better Exarch with more options.

Games Workshop don't pinch units from Forge World anymore for plasticamification. I think the last ones off the top of my head to be properly flitched were the IG flyers, the Trygon, the Sky Ray and Piranha? The Hydra was done as a sister to the new Hydra and even that is an open-topped variant thus different. They've got the Avatar very well covered (along with other Greater Daemons) so I doubt we'll see plastics of those for a very, very long time, if ever.

Gorthaur
05-06-2014, 19:15
To be honest ill be very annoyed if Eldar don't get a second wave between releases, a new jetbike and warlocks is a must.

infamousme
05-06-2014, 19:41
I hope they release aspect warrior / Biel-Tan focused Eldar next time and not jet bike / Siam-Hann focused Eldar. The jetbikes are still perfectly serviceable, but the aspect warriors given a quality of release like the Dark Eldar would be beautiful.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to see new aspect warrior kits.... Thay being said, i really don't see how the current jetbikes are serviceable. They are laughable at best.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Inquisitor Engel
05-06-2014, 20:42
Honestly? Jetbikes. Vypers. BLOODY WARP SPIDERS.

MajorWesJanson
05-06-2014, 20:53
My guess/wishlist:
Jetbikes/shining spears. Maybe parts for a warlock/farseer on bike.
Vyper/Venom- Replace the giant gyro-mounted gun thing with an open platform like the DE venom that can transport some troops OR mount a heavy cannon on a ring mount. Replace the DE weapon loadout with an Eldar one.
Swooping Hawks- give more weapon options, make kit design similar to DE scourges.
Heavy Grav tank/light superheavy. Smaller than Scorpion/Cobra, like a GW version of the Lynx. Maybe option for a single pulsar/sonic lance on a turret. 13/13/10 6 HP skimmer.
Autarch clampack

Knifeparty
05-06-2014, 20:58
Lack of Jetbike Warlocks and Warpspiders are the only thing stopping me from starting an Eldar army. So I really hope they get new models.

DoctorTom
05-06-2014, 21:10
Like constant paint chipping and headaches with converting?

But plastic doesn't work as well for dreadsocking.

Inquisitor Engel
06-06-2014, 17:30
Vyper/Venom- Replace the giant gyro-mounted gun thing with an open platform like the DE venom that can transport some troops OR mount a heavy cannon on a ring mount. Replace the DE weapon loadout with an Eldar one.

Considering it started life as a transport for Harlequins in the Citadel Journal, I wouldn't be shocked if the Venom made it to the Craftworld Codex as a dual kit with the Vyper.

Heavy Grav tank/light superheavy. Smaller than Scorpion/Cobra, like a GW version of the Lynx. Maybe option for a single pulsar/sonic lance on a turret. 13/13/10 6 HP skimmer.

I'd take a Lynx.

MajorWesJanson
07-06-2014, 23:06
I'd take a Lynx.

Yes, but GW doesn't do straight conversions of FW kits anymore.

murgel2006
08-06-2014, 12:21
Yes, but GW doesn't do straight conversions of FW kits anymore.

Which is very sad. I love the Hornet model but will probably never own a squad due to cost issue. :cries:
Frankly I feel, the Hornet, the Wasp and the scorpion/cobra should become GW plastics. :rolleyes:

I think the Scorpions, Dragons, Banshees and Harlequins are good or quite some more years. Scorpions could get the missing bits however.
The Spiders are nice but as they are currently good in the game, a new mould would really sell, especially with the bits for the Exarch. So they are a candidate. The same goes for Hawks, they should get new or at least updated moulds.
Spears are in need, desperately; as well as jetbikes. I think the EJB and the Spear bikes should be significantly different. But the spears are not drawing enough attention from buyers, so ...
A new Vyper would be very nice but I think it is unlikely. Just a feeling I have.
The Falcon needs to have an update, including at least one other variant in the kit, just to increase the sales.

My guesses:
Falcon with variants
New Hawks
New Spiders

Zaonite
08-06-2014, 12:45
I've been holding out on buying Jetbikes for about seven years... Ever since I saw the mock up that Jes Goodwin did, which the DE Jetbikes are based off.

If they redid the jetbikes I would HAVE to buy at least 15 of them.

Flame Boy
08-06-2014, 21:02
I could write an essay on what I believe on what Eldar kits need the plastic treatment, but it would boil down to me typing "Eldar Jetbikes" over and over until either my fingers or the keyboard broke. It's been beyond a tease at this point, it's now officially trolling. :p

Even if the Jetbikes didn't get redone, I'd say Shining Spears. When the models were first released I was shocked at how uninspiring the models were compared to the other Aspect Warriors.

Some Multi-pose Warp Spiders would be fantastic, I think they are great models, but I think they could have a lot of fun with them. The Stoic poses are nice, but they could go to the other extreme and make them look really dynamic to convey them jumping through the warp like this Devart picture that has been floating around for a while. http://ukitakumuki.deviantart.com/art/Training-to-be-Spiders-22690494 Having them pouncing upon their victims or preparing to strike could be really interesting.

I would also vote for the Avatar, but since Forge World have that base more than covered, I think that can wait for a bit.

shabbadoo
09-06-2014, 02:25
At this point, the units that are on the list to get new plastics will be Jet Bikes, Autarch, Warlocks, Avatar, Harlequins, all Aspect Warriors, and Guardians (so as to support both Defender and Storm variants). That is 14 different units requiring no less than NINE kits, five of which would be two-unit combo kits. Any of those could be on the short list to get kits, but the Autarch, Avatar, and Jet Bike seem to be the most likely.

MajorWesJanson
09-06-2014, 04:51
They ought to do a month of Daemon kits- 5 weeks, with each weak being a plastic Greater daemon- Bloodthirster/Skarbrand, GUO/Kugath, Lord of Change/Fateweaver, Keeper of Secrets/named Slaneshi DG, Avatar of Khaine.