PDA

View Full Version : Thor and Dark elves?

Hudson Gameover
06-06-2014, 19:24
In Thor The Dark World the bad guy is called Malekith and he is the king of the dark elves!

Is this from the Thor comics or is it a very old story that anyone can use?

I wanna know who got ripped off?

NemoSD
06-06-2014, 19:30
In Thor The Dark World the bad guy is called Malekith and he is the king of the dark elves!

Is this from the Thor comics or is it a very old story that anyone can use?

I wanna know who got ripped off?

There is no mythical Malekith to my knowledge outside of the Thor comics. Dark Elves themselves are a very old trope that no one can really claim.

Drachen_Jager
06-06-2014, 19:35
Geez, Google people.

"Created by Walt Simonson, Malekith first appeared in Thor #344-349 (June-November 1984). He subsequently appeared in issues #363 (January 1986), 366-368 (April-June 1986), 485-487 (April-June 1995), and 489 (August 1995) of Thor.

He made guest appearances in X-Force and Cable Annual 1997 and Heroes for Hire #14 (August 1998) before again battling Thor in Thor vol. 2, #29-32 (November 2000 - February 2001). He later appeared in The Incredible Hercules #134 (November 2009) and #136 (December 2009). He is also set to appear in Thor: God Of Thunder issues #13 - #17 in a 5 part storyline called "The Accursed"."

- Wikipedia

Hudson Gameover
06-06-2014, 19:56
So GW ripped off Marvel?

connexion
06-06-2014, 19:59
So GW ripped off Marvel?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Sent from my GT-P7100 using Tapatalk

NemoSD
06-06-2014, 20:07
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Sent from my GT-P7100 using Tapatalk

I am not actually sure on this one. Doing some research... both came out in 1984...

Hudson Gameover
06-06-2014, 20:23
I am not actually sure on this one. Doing some research... both came out in 1984...

Maybe a suing in the brewing?:angel:

shelfunit.
06-06-2014, 20:29

The difference being the named GW character Malekith didn't make an appearance until 4th ed Warhammer - around 1994

AlexHolker
06-06-2014, 20:36
Maybe a suing in the brewing?:angel:
That would be fun to watch. Here's an artist's interpretation of such a move. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWqGNITWIEc)

Korinov
06-06-2014, 21:12
GW ripping off someone else's work. Surprise, surprise, eh?

monkey10120
06-06-2014, 22:01
GW ripping off someone else's work. Surprise, surprise, eh?

Ofcoarse not!

its not like GW would take things like J.R.R Tolkiens Lorien location of the sindarian elves that have all the same characteristics of the WE made in the 40's or 50's......And totally not just take the i out of it and make it the name of the WE's home....And certainly not give them allies such as Ents or eagles and accompanied by a god similar to Orion.

Come on guys GW would never do such a thing as copy!

Urgat
06-06-2014, 22:16
You know Tolkien didn't invent elves either, nor did Marvel invent, well, dunno, Thor? You are all examples of fairness and non-bias, really :rolleyes:

monkey10120
06-06-2014, 22:29
You know Tolkien didn't invent elves either, nor did Marvel invent, well, dunno, Thor? You are all examples of fairness and non-bias, really :rolleyes:

I never said he invented them. He created his own world with beings. GW just took that world, removed the i in the name of the city, slapped horse legs on Orome. They really could of done more to their own universe.
Even though Tolkien did not invent elves he brought fantasy to the people, increasing is popularity. Without him who knows how popular fantasy would be today.

Not going to say anything about comics because of my hate for them.

Urgat
06-06-2014, 22:51
Yeah, well, if Tolkien had not done it, someone else would have. I dearly love his work, but he pretty much just lifted the local legends and turned them into these books, and others have done that before and after him. On the other hand, you can't just reduce the Old World to a copy of Middle Earth just because Loren is Lorien without a "i"... Elves and dwarfs (and dwarfs are straying quite clear from the Tolkien example, save for greenskin hate and elf distaste) aside, there's pretty much nothing in common between the two. If orcs and goblins are green in most fantasy settings now, it's because of GW, not Tolkien, for example. Anyway, sterile argument, so I'll stop there.

monkey10120
06-06-2014, 23:00
Yeah, well, if Tolkien had not done it, someone else would have. I dearly love his work, but he pretty much just lifted the local legends and turned them into these books, and others have done that before and after him. On the other hand, you can't just reduce the Old World to a copy of Middle Earth just because Loren is Lorien without a "i"... Elves and dwarfs (and dwarfs are straying quite clear from the Tolkien example, save for greenskin hate and elf distaste) aside, there's pretty much nothing in common between the two. If orcs and goblins are green in most fantasy settings now, it's because of GW, not Tolkien, for example. Anyway, sterile argument, so I'll stop there.

No im not talking about the old world, just wood elves. Yes the back story for both are completely different but bits and pieces are pulled right out of his work.

But yes this is going off topic.:p

Korinov
07-06-2014, 00:46
I don't have a single problem with GW ripping off medieval fantasy, sci-fi or superhero books, comics or whatever in order to get inspiration towards creating their own universes. It's something everybody has done to a certain degree since forever.

I have issues with them later trying to pass their universes as something "original" and aggressively attacking anyone they consider to be "ripping them off" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_marine).

SpanielBear
07-06-2014, 01:55
My favourite Tolkein story is what happened when he read out the first draft of Lord of the Rings to his writing club. He got about halfway through the introduction when one of the other members put his head in his hands and said "oh for God's sake, not more ******* Elves!"

zoggin-eck
07-06-2014, 09:25
Probably would have been a good idea to check if this topic has been brought up heaps of times already on Warseer?

dalezzz
07-06-2014, 09:39
My favourite Tolkein story is what happened when he read out the first draft of Lord of the Rings to his writing club. He got about halfway through the introduction when one of the other members put his head in his hands and said "oh for God's sake, not more ******* Elves!"

I feel I might be related to that guy :D

Verm1s
07-06-2014, 12:34
Misquoted and usually misattributed to C.S. Lewis. The elf critic was Hugo Dyson, and as a christian and good friend of Tolkien, and given the apparent general demeanour of the Inklings, it was unlikely that he'd stoop to quite that level of invective. See here (http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=267918;sb=po st_latest_reply;so=ASC;guest=110717114), for one.

A quote I like better is one that Brandir had in his sig, when he used to hang around Warseer:

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.

SteveW
07-06-2014, 13:18
Dark Elves are old Norse mythology called Dökkálfar.