PDA

View Full Version : High level sorcerer for Chaos Daemon army

ndphoto
07-06-2014, 10:24
I have a 2000pt Nurgle Daemons army led by a great unclean one. My great unclean one is a level 3 sorcerer and i use a level 1 herald too, both using nurgle spells. I'm finding that I'm getting battered by enemy magic and I'm unable to reply as I'm more inclined to get my unclean one into combat than have him stand off casting spells. So I'm looking for a level 3/4 sorcerer to stand off and cast whilst my unclean one and herald get on with the serious business of whupping some botty in combat.

However I'm struggling to find such a sorcerer, I'm quite happy to recruit one from another power or even create a host of chaos using the rules in tamurkhan and use a beastman or chaos warrior sorcerer.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Sent from father nurgles garden

Mozzamanx
07-06-2014, 12:43
Why does getting him into combat restrict your ability to cast spells? He won't be casting any missiles but his ability to throw Augments, Hexes and assist with dispel attempts remains unchanged.
The problem with Daemons is that your only access to L4 comes in the form of ~500pt monsters, meaning that you won't be able to get a backup wizard in addition to the Great Unclean One. You either put the levels onto your existing GD or you take your support from the Hero/Horror slot and are limited to level 2 as a result. Tamurkhan won't grant you any more points to spend on Lord choices.

ndphoto
07-06-2014, 13:16
Its more the damage and destruction type spells I'm hoping to cast rather than augments and hex's.
I'm hoping to use the great host rules in the tamurkhan book to enable me to include either a beastman shaman or a chaos warriors sorcerer but I don't know if they are any better off magic wise.

Ramius4
07-06-2014, 13:29
to enable me to include either a beastman shaman or a chaos warriors sorcerer but I don't know if they are any better off magic wise.

They're not any better.

ndphoto
07-06-2014, 13:30
Blast. Not the news I was hoping for, but thanks.

Bladelord
07-06-2014, 15:32
WoC have Mark of Tzeentch (+1 to channel), Chaos Familiar (+1 spell & +1 to channel) & Skull of Katam (channel with 6 dice instead of 1).
BoC have Shard of the Herdstone which gives you +1 PD for each friendly wizard within 6'' of it.

I'd say both of them can get quite a solid magic phase even if you're using a Great Unclean One.

ndphoto
07-06-2014, 16:22
Ah! Excellent, thanks Banelord

Sexiest_hero
08-06-2014, 07:05
Fist off what magic is being used against you? What armies are you facing. The sad fact is no matter what kind of mage you play you have to learn how to play the magic phase. What to let through what to stop, what spells to cast and how many dice are you gonna use. When you play low magic you have to accept two things. You can only cast one spell a turn pretty much, and you can only stop one spell a turn. What you cast and what you stop usually determines the game.

ndphoto
08-06-2014, 07:13
Fist off what magic is being used against you? What armies are you facing. The sad fact is no matter what kind of mage you play you have to learn how to play the magic phase. What to let through what to stop, what spells to cast and how many dice are you gonna use. When you play low magic you have to accept two things. You can only cast one spell a turn pretty much, and you can only stop one spell a turn. What you cast and what you stop usually determines the game.

Yeah, I'm beginning to accept that and think I will have to be sharper with my tactics. My biggest problem is that my horde of 40 plague bearers tends to get battered by purple sun from ogres / foot of gork(?) from orks and gobbos type spells so by the time they reach combat they are out numbered. I'm now thinking about how I can protect them and I'm considering dropping my great unclean one, bringing in a lvl3 sorcerer Daemon prince and using the portal glyph to drop the plague bearers in behind enemy lines.

Sexiest_hero
08-06-2014, 08:30
Yep it's the one drawback on the big ole block of PB. You'll never be able to put the PB unit anywhere PS can't get them. If I were you i'd break up that horde and go with two units of twenty,The magic of that is Ogres are just as weak to PS and Nurgle casters have Lore of death. If you don't want the game to turn into a PS tossing contest try taking units with higher I or playing more msu of PB and beasts with drones. Knorne and slannesh units laugh at PS. No amount of Wizard level is gonna protect you from him 6 dicing that spell.

Metacarpi
09-06-2014, 11:13
What's your loadout on the GUO? If you're using Daemonic Gifts of any sort I'd immediately recommend dropping them and either bumping him to level 4, or spending the points elsewhere.

Also, Nurgle has access to possibly the best augment/hex in the game with Curse of the Leper - increase a friendly unit or decrease an enemy units toughness by D3? Yummy. Especially combining it with Rancid Visitations.

bigbiggles
15-06-2014, 08:50
But no one ever let's me get off those 2 spells together

Metacarpi
16-06-2014, 08:26
But no one ever let's me get off those 2 spells together

Naturally, it's a high threat combo to just about any unit. I recommend winging Curse at something with higher toughness (say 4 or 5), if it goes off - fantastic! Try and Rancid Vistations that unit. If not, aim Rancid visitations at something with T3 or lower. Don't forget that for each wound a spell from the Lore of Nurgle causes rolls a D6, and on 5 or 6 a unit of Plaguebearers within 12" gets a model back.

Also, don't forget that you can use Curse defensively as well to boost your own toughness.