PDA

View Full Version : Oh crap moments!

RanaldLoec
08-06-2014, 11:07
Has any one every assembled a model got it painted and the realided your made an error in iconography and symbols positioning.

Essentially I have had a pants on head stupid moment and now I have veterans and honour guard with crux terminatus and deathwatch shoulder pads on the right shoulder instead of the left.

RanaldLoec
08-06-2014, 11:14
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/08/ujy9u5ub.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/08/y6y7a4yv.jpg

What would you do?

The chapter symbol pads are metal so I used super glue.

The others are joined on using poly cement so removing them would ruin the shoulder pad.

It annoys me that there "wrong" but I really don't want to wreck the models by taking them apart?

I've tried thinking of fluff reasons for it but non too convincing enough.

lordbeefy
08-06-2014, 12:02
I'm not going to be very helpful with my response but here goes.....

This type of error...one i have myself committed more than once....is sufficient for me to cut the parts of to amend. I cannot stand the models not being accurate. I have chopped parts off and reapplied, sometimes even having to source replacements from bitz suppliers.

My advice....if it bothers you at all, change it. If not, its your hobby, do what you like. Ultimately though, if it were me, then as has happened before i would chop it off and change.

Latro_
08-06-2014, 12:45
Problem with this kinda stuff is 9 times out of 10 your opponent will never notice! you will know, every time you look at the model thou heh which puts you off in a game!

Zaonite
08-06-2014, 12:46
Supergle should dissolve using acetone containing nail varnish remover, don't be too liberal and it won't have time to attack the plastic.

It can also help weaken poly cemented joints. Be sparing and patient.

hobojebus
08-06-2014, 15:15
Almost glued the lower legs of my contemptor dreadnought the wrong way around, there isn't a good way to tell which way is which and it came with no instructions.

3eland
08-06-2014, 15:32
Stick them in a freezer, snap off the shoulders and switch them. Shouldn't be very hard as long as you didn't seal the mini. You will likely have to touch up the paint but that's it.

Menthak
08-06-2014, 16:52

What would you do?

The others are joined on using poly cement so removing them would ruin the shoulder pad.

It annoys me that there "wrong" but I really don't want to wreck the models by taking them apart?

I've tried thinking of fluff reasons for it but non too convincing enough.

Fluff reason? Simple one;

Battlefield repairs which served well and has been seen as 'good luck' so instead of removing the new shoulderpad has simply been painted to match.

Telemachus
08-06-2014, 17:09

What would you do?

I've tried thinking of fluff reasons for it but non too convincing enough. I wouldn't worry too much about it either way. The metal pads will come off the model with little or no fuss.

As for the second 'Deathwatch Veteran' marine; I take it that you've got the Crimson Fists' chapter badge on the other shoulder? If so, there's nothing wrong with it. He's a veteran who has returned to the Chapter, repainted his armour and put his Chapter Symbol back where it belongs.

Chem-Dog
09-06-2014, 00:25
The Crux Terminatus can happily be placed on the right pad, it's an honour marking and the rules are generally quite fluid about where they go - with chapter marking being the most important icon an Astartes will bear it stands to reason it's the one which would be left where it belongs and other markings be moved around - I have a ten man Imperial Fists Command Squad (from back when that was an option) which all bear the Crux on their left shoulder, it's as much an embellished company marking as it is an honour badge for them.

Similar reasoning could be applied to the Deathwatch Marine, he bears the signifier of the Deathwatch as an honour but his loyalty to the Chapter is displayed literally by refusing to displace the Chapter icon with it, whatever he is or was, he is a battle brother of the Chapter first and foremost.

I wouldn't change the Guy with the Crux and if you wanted to change the guy with the DW shoulder I'd simply suggest swapping out the whole arm with something else and then replace the metal Chapter shoulder with a DW one.

BTW, nice paiit-jobs :)

ehlijen
09-06-2014, 01:48
Superglue, once dried, is very brittle*. You should be able to snap the pieces back off without too much damage to the model and probably even less damage to the paint that aceton would do.

For the plastic ones, try slicing the entire arm off coming from below the shoulder? At the very least that will give you better access to apply the aceton. Or you could then cut the arm off below the pad's bottom rim and replace it with the one from the opposite side. Only really works if both pads where upright on the model, with the arms coming out downwards (a raised arm will show off the mismatch of the shoulder joint).

Lord Greyskull
09-06-2014, 03:04
Almost glued the lower legs of my contemptor dreadnought the wrong way around, there isn't a good way to tell which way is which and it came with no instructions.

Next time just go to the Forgeworld website. They usually have multiple pics to help you out. That's what I did. Sometimes you can find videos on Youtube of people assembling certain models.

hobojebus
09-06-2014, 12:49
Next time just go to the Forgeworld website. They usually have multiple pics to help you out. That's what I did. Sometimes you can find videos on Youtube of people assembling certain models.

My mate who got a contemptor after me and had heard about my near miss still glued his legs on backwards, it's really not that hard to do.

HelloKitty
09-06-2014, 14:20
This one glued its imperial knight shoulder pauldrons on backwards and did not realize it until after finish painting it.

gwarsh41
09-06-2014, 20:42
Generally I will have glued something, be happily looking at it, and realize I glued the wrong piece, or I did something out of order/too soon.

SimaoSegunda
09-06-2014, 20:57
I nearly had that when putting a Crimson Hunter together, I didn't realise the wings had an extra bit to go in at the top, so I was convinced I'd done something wrong and effed it up. Nearly pulled the model apart, until I read ahead in the manual and realised. Also, I put my Imperial Knight shoulder pauldrons on wrong at first, luckily realised before the glue had set.

RanaldLoec
09-06-2014, 21:58
The Crux Terminatus can happily be placed on the right pad, it's an honour marking and the rules are generally quite fluid about where they go - with chapter marking being the most important icon an Astartes will bear it stands to reason it's the one which would be left where it belongs and other markings be moved around - I have a ten man Imperial Fists Command Squad (from back when that was an option) which all bear the Crux on their left shoulder, it's as much an embellished company marking as it is an honour badge for them.

Similar reasoning could be applied to the Deathwatch Marine, he bears the signifier of the Deathwatch as an honour but his loyalty to the Chapter is displayed literally by refusing to displace the Chapter icon with it, whatever he is or was, he is a battle brother of the Chapter first and foremost.

I wouldn't change the Guy with the Crux and if you wanted to change the guy with the DW shoulder I'd simply suggest swapping out the whole arm with something else and then replace the metal Chapter shoulder with a DW one.

BTW, nice paiit-jobs :)
The paint job is by Zaonite my only input was what colours I wanted and the general look.

My painting is terrible Zaonite did a super job on these guys.

Thats one of the reasons I was a bit miffed. Although I'm probably going to keep them as they are.

I've thought of reasons for keeping them that way.

RanaldLoec
09-06-2014, 22:01
Supergle should dissolve using acetone containing nail varnish remover, don't be too liberal and it won't have time to attack the plastic.

It can also help weaken poly cemented joints. Be sparing and patient.
Thanks mate but I'm not going to ruin your work. Decided I can justify it easy enough.

AndrewGPaul
10-06-2014, 10:20
Models in Terminator armour almost always* have the Crux Terminatus** on the left shoulder, but models in power armour are more ... varied. Look at the Sternguard Veterans, for example.

Space Hulk 3rd edition, the Forge World Imperial Armour books and the images of the Ultramarines 2nd company in Codex: Space Marines show that Marines are allowed quite a lot of freedom in displaying various markings; squad and company numbers in various positions on the armour or omitted entirely, variants of the Chapter badge, or for some veterans, the Chapter badge entirely displaced by personal heraldry. You've not "made a mistake", you've just done something different.

Looking at the guy with the Deathwatch pad, traditionally Deathwatch shoulder pads are entirely silver. That, on the other hand, looks like a reward granted to that Marine personally by an Inquisitor for outstanding service. If anything, it's a little plain; some sort of additional detailing on the pad would liven it up - stripes, a quartered or checker pattern, for example, or some seals.

*I can't think of any counter-examples, but I'm sure if I said "always", someone would provide one. :)

** Is the "Crux Terminatus" simply the cross pattée with skull that is found on shoulder pads, iconography, pendants, etc, or specifically the stone emblem of that device as mounted on the shoulder of a suit of Terminator armour? My understanding is the latter.

O.G-Palmer
11-06-2014, 00:20
I was recently in the process of building a GK Dreadknight, and all was going rather well considering I had never touched grey knights since 3rd edition or built a walker of that size. After placing the arms and weapon load into place I downed tools and made a cup of tea, came back to find the little left hand had somehow detached itself from the sprue and was nowhere to be seen.

The solution? Fix a the barrel end and muzzle of a land raider redeemers flamer into the gap and use guitar string as piping leading to an aux' fuel tank placed onto the side of the arm. Looks rather nice, a conversion I wouldn't of thought of if that little bit had not vanished into the warp.

hobojebus
11-06-2014, 01:41
You people have no idea how many feet tried to escape my work area when building thunderwolves, they'd crawl off the desk bounce off the floor and I'd spend ten minutes with a torch looking under the bed, fun times.

Formerly Wu
11-06-2014, 01:46
I once glued all three heavy bolters (hull and two sponsons) on a Leman Russ in upside down. Quite a pain to fix given their construction- I ended up having to destroy the sponson frames to retrieve the gun, then eBay up new bits to replace them.

AndrewGPaul
11-06-2014, 09:43
I've got a couple of Rhinos with two sets of left headlights, and one with two left tracks. They look fine unless you look closely at the tracks. :)

hobojebus
11-06-2014, 12:46
I've got a couple of Rhinos with two sets of left headlights, and one with two left tracks. They look fine unless you look closely at the tracks. :)

But once you know how can you not look...over and over...

warlordbob
11-06-2014, 12:59
My mate who got a contemptor after me and had heard about my near miss still glued his legs on backwards, it's really not that hard to do.

Only the thigh sections, its easy to tell which way the lower half goes with dry fitting, I just put the thighs with the wrong shins after my dry test fittings, otherwise it would've been fine. Still looks ok, just wish I had paid a little more attention.

hobojebus
11-06-2014, 13:02
Only the thigh sections, its easy to tell which way the lower half goes with dry fitting, I just put the thighs with the wrong shins after my dry test fittings, otherwise it would've been fine. Still looks ok, just wish I had paid a little more attention.

It's easy enough to do though.

GarDakka
11-06-2014, 13:18
Mistakes like these are all part of the hobby.

I glued the top section of my Monolith upside down and had to rip the model apart to fix it. And I glued the front doors of a Land Raider closed, luckily it was going to be a looted wagons for my Orks so didn't matter. I've used Ork Nob arms a on a regular Boy warbiker (used the Boy body instead of the Nob body in error) - this I never fixed, he looks a little disproportionate, but then he is an Ork.

lethlis
11-06-2014, 13:38
I messed up assembling my second storm talon and had to pry the canopy apart. In the process of trying to force it apart with my knife I put a lot of force, the tip broke, and stabbed me in the finger. I had to use 6 bandages, and a crap ton of glue to seal it enough to stop bleeding. It solidly bled for about 6 hours before i had to stop adding layers of glue and bandages.

Biggest mistake ever lol.