PDA

View Full Version : I'm probably over-reacting (Commissar models)

jason_sation
08-06-2014, 17:41
I love Commissars. I have a few and recently got the new plastic one (which I was really hoping would not be mono-pose and have all weapon options). However, looking at the GW site, it looks like some of the older models are finally going the way of the dodo. (No longer available). I know stuff has been disappearing, and I understand that, but to replace all those great old characterful models with one mono-pose model (which has 1 head option, 2 gun options, and only the one power sword option) is kind of a bummer. In fact, if you just wanted the chainsword, you'd really have to spend some time hacking the model, since his sleeve covers up his wrist.

I understand replacing all the old Stormtroopers/Kasrkin (even though I love the models), but at least they replaced them with a kit with lots of options. I'm really hoping that from now on, people playing IG aren't forced to use 3 or 4 of the same exact model to represent all of the Commissars in their army.

Maybe the old models aren't really gone for good (I'm sure some are, like the Power Axe one), and I'm over-reacting, but I really think it's a shame if they are.

hobojebus
08-06-2014, 18:13
There are third party model companies I'm sure if you search you'll find some you like.

Jind_Singh
08-06-2014, 19:24
I'm with you all the way Jason!

I love Guard and purposely decided to wait for the new book to come out - and I have always LOVED Commisars!

So when the book came out AND they released the Scions kit/background this was a match made in heaven!

Then they made the new plastic model -excellent, an addition to the range...

Until I saw that the models I wanted to order were GONE!

DAMMIT BUGGERIT MILLENNIUM SHRIMP!

hobojebus
08-06-2014, 19:57
[QUOTE=Jind_Singh;7186287
DAMMIT BUGGERIT MILLENNIUM SHRIMP![/QUOTE]

I get that reference!

Flame Boy
08-06-2014, 20:19
I understand that having a quality HQ sculpt in plastic for each race is a good idea, but I must agree that the lack of variation that is likely to come from from that road is a worrying thought.

I've been filling out a Seer Council by using a series of models from a huge span of time on Ebay, and decided to do so because the Eldar at the time had a couple of Farseers and about 3-4 different Warlocks. I can see it's already been culled to a plastic Farseer, the Farseer and Warlocks set, Eldrad and a Spiritseer, which is already less than I had available to me in GW stores (There were two metal/Finecast Farseers that looked like minor variations, but it still counts). I'm not a massive fan of the multi-part Space Marine commander as it usually seems obvious you used those parts, but using spare legs/arms/heads from other kits alleviated that problem, but it looks more difficult to convert some of these single-pose HQ models.

It's got to be tricky for some armies, since it's hard to use parts from a line trooper to convert a Commissar, since the models are wearing very different uniforms.

Hopefully they will start producing variant monoposes and conversion bits once they have eventually finished converting from Finecast figures to all plastic.

Killgore
08-06-2014, 20:39
Why not use the various guard bits from the command squad and Scions to make a commissar? Use the hat from the tank commander, cloak/ body from the Scions and bits from the command box?

I see the point about one or two plastic models per force, but the amount of bits available in the standard kits allows plenty of potential for conversions.

Bloodknight
08-06-2014, 20:45
I see the point about one or two plastic models per force, but the amount of bits available in the standard kits allows plenty of potential for conversions.

That is assuming that every IG player plays only with the "standard kits". I have an 8000ish point IG army and haven't bought a box of Cadians *shudder* in my life. Even if I did, 90% of those boxes would be junk to me, in particular the actual models in there. I did pick up all Commissars, beginning with the RT ones, though. No IG collection is complete without Fat Guy with Powerfist anyway.

hobojebus
08-06-2014, 22:18
That is assuming that every IG player plays only with the "standard kits". I have an 8000ish point IG army and haven't bought a box of Cadians *shudder* in my life. Even if I did, 90% of those boxes would be junk to me, in particular the actual models in there. I did pick up all Commissars, beginning with the RT ones, though. No IG collection is complete without Fat Guy with Powerfist anyway.

Good old fatie, i got him when i did an inquisitorial army back in 3rd (or 4th) obviously the army no longer exists but i still have him somewhere.

AngryAngel
08-06-2014, 23:58
There are a couple pudge commissars about, the one holding the book and the one you mentioned. I will say, you can make some nice looking commissars from the empire free company ( the models with the great coats ) Add in some weapon swaps for them, and use an officer head from one of many third party kit companies. ( I got some excellent gas mask, officer heads from puppets war that do the trick ) and they came out pretty nice. At this point I have all the commissars I'll ever need. So if you can find someone to get the other empire free company models off you, you'll be good.

Chem-Dog
09-06-2014, 00:11
I've never thought overly much of the Commissars, they've always seemed to suffer from ludicrous wargear combos and be relatively substandard for what is essentially the most Iconic character in the Imperial Guard.
At least with plastic ones it's easy to chop off the bits you want and build one that you like with the equipment you want, I'm going to have a punt at building a proper Scion-Commissar, one with carapace armour that allows him to look like he belongs with a Militarum Tempestus Detachment.

It would be nice to have a kit of bits specifically dedicated to building Commissars though (maybe Commissars and Officers), considering their potential frequency in an Imperial Guard army, I don't see a 3-5-man box with lots of bits as being an unreasonable request.

WLBjork
09-06-2014, 10:12
Buggrit! Millenium hand and shrimp? I told 'em, I told 'em, I told 'em.

Hey, Ron's stench could probably play 40K!

MajorWesJanson
09-06-2014, 14:37
Buggrit! Millenium hand and shrimp? I told 'em, I told 'em, I told 'em.

Hey, Ron's stench could probably play 40K!

Ron's a herald of Nurgle, and clearly B.S. Johnson is an archetect of Tzeentch. Luggage is either Khorne or Malal.

If they are going to make another plastic commissar, they ought to make it a female one.

sand.zzz
09-06-2014, 19:45
I use the two Kurganova sisters w/gas masks, and the FW DKoK commies for my commissars.

Abaraxas
09-06-2014, 23:00
Orks are even worse.

The original (Rogue Trader and 2nd edition) line had a huge variety of not only characters but boys and gretchin too...besides not liking the look of the modern Orks the lack of variety is p*&@ poor.

Mandragola
09-06-2014, 23:53
One option would be to use the coat you get with the storm troopers on an IG officer body and peaked cap. Then you could give him pretty much any weapon options you felt like. Give him a waist sash made of green stuff and you're good to go.

AngryAngel
10-06-2014, 00:10
I like this idea as well.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
10-06-2014, 07:38
Not quite any option. Without further alterations, you'll be stuck with that little dagger.