PDA

View Full Version : Decisions

LunarLizard
10-06-2014, 13:23
So I now have a few WHFB armies

High Elves (IOB models plus a few more units plus Battalion)
Skaven (IOB models plus a few more units of clans and night runners and warpfire canon)
Orcs and Goblins (newest army only base coated about 600 points)
Vampire Counts (fully paints and massive - not fussed with playing with them ATM)

I need the motivation to finish painting them and to REALLY learn the rules.
Don't get me wrong I LOVE WARHAMMER and spent alot of money - I just finding the rules hard going"

Me and my mate have been playing WHFB on and off for the last year but due to work and time constraints its only about 3 hours a time. We get so far with the rules and then by the next time we have forgotten what we have learnt! I can not keep all the rules for each army in my head for some reason! we are still playing <1000 points and not even got terrain to make the games quicker.... don't think we've even finished that many. WE have been to a few GW shops to have battles adn they are sooooo fast I loose track and cant keep up

I want concentrate on one army and get REALLY stuck in, as at the moment I just flit between them and get confused. Thats the reason I bought O&G as I thoght as they are so funny and unpredictable I'd get much more interested by them
So which army shall I choose and why
and what's the best way to learn all the rules? :confused:

dalezzz
10-06-2014, 13:30
Skaven because they are the best army you have listed there ;) although they are terrible to learn the rules with I suppose as they have so many random things and odd little rules

from a rules learning point of view your probably best off with the high elves , I don't know there book particularly but I know the others
skaven - the most FAQ ed book of them all , lots of weird tables and randomness
orc and goblin - choppa and animosity lots of random odd units, probably second best choice though
vamps - you don't like them much :) also they miss out on certain parts of the game ( psychology ,marching and so on) so a bad choice again as far as learning the rules go
high elves - my least favourite army but that's just because I'm no fan of elves :D far as I know though they are more or less straight forward , just ASF and martial powers to worry about

warhammerscotlandplayer
10-06-2014, 13:34
For easiest rules, low model count, you cant go far wrong with High Elves.

Skaven and O+G have so many rules there a nightmare to play. Ive played them both for many years.

stortotta
10-06-2014, 13:40
Have to agree with warhammerscotsmandude, HE is probably the easiest to learn the rules with, as the armybook itself doesen't add heaps of rules. A couple of army-wide, and then it's mostly up to what units you use. That, of course, goes for other armies as well, but I find HE easy to learn, but not easy to master. Really competetive army too.

LunarLizard
10-06-2014, 13:43
I can see a theme already :-) thanks guys.

Snake1311
10-06-2014, 14:13
http://raffazza.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/dude-what-army-should-i-do-next.html

Here is an informative blog post to teach you how to decide.

Urgat
10-06-2014, 14:16
As a goblin player... well I gotta agree with the others, HE are certainly a better pick if you really have problems with the rules. Skavens and OnG both have their own little eclusive rule worlds. HE seem to bend the BRB rules much less.

LunarLizard
10-06-2014, 14:22
http://raffazza.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/dude-what-army-should-i-do-next.html

Here is an informative blog post to teach you how to decide.
thanks snake 🐍 I'll read that when I get home tonight.

LunarLizard
10-06-2014, 14:25
Ok so already in my head I'm getting a plan together, although my mate hates my HE , I will concentrate on them and really learn them. When I finally get to grips then I'll go play with my green skins. So I'll paint them and build them up in the background.

Renga
10-06-2014, 14:55
Ok so already in my head I'm getting a plan together, although my mate hates my HE , I will concentrate on them and really learn them. When I finally get to grips then I'll go play with my green skins. So I'll paint them and build them up in the background.

Also a piece of advice from my side. Read up on the fluff of your army, it really helps you getting invested in the army itself. Also, I think HE is a solid choice, I've always looked at it as a fun army to play with and against. So don't think you can go wrong here.

Phazael
10-06-2014, 15:18
Start with High Elves. It is a lower model count, so you have a better chance of getting painted sooner. It also has elements from every phase of the game, without a ton of rules exceptions like Skaven, so it is a good learning experience. Also, ASF is a great safety net for a beginner.

Renga
10-06-2014, 15:25

I think HE is a wonderful choice. I've always thought HE is a fun army to play around with and play against. So I don't think you can go wrong here.

What also helped me personally was get involved with the armies fluff. Reading about the army really helps you get motivated to keep playing the army, paint them nicer and just generally make the army better.

Verm1s
10-06-2014, 17:14
Don't get me wrong I LOVE WARHAMMER and spent alot of money - I just finding the rules hard going"

Me and my mate have been playing WHFB on and off for the last year but due to work and time constraints its only about 3 hours a time. We get so far with the rules and then by the next time we have forgotten what we have learnt! I can not keep all the rules for each army in my head for some reason!
and what's the best way to learn all the rules? :confused:

Keep the minis, keep the background, dump the rules, and (http://bombshell-games.com/mayhem/) use (http://www.manticgames.com/games/kings-of-war/downloads.html) better (http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/FantasyWarriors.pdf) ones (http://www.armiesofarcana.com/)... :shifty:

beerbeard
10-06-2014, 17:52
I started with Dwarfs, easy to play because in the old book you sort of skipped two of the four phases of the game. My next army was High Elves, and using them is when I really learned to play Warhammer. You can be active in every phase, you have really no bad units to choose from, and they look great on the table. I still play, and model/paint, them a lot. I've started Greenskins, and will go with a fluffy army that will be a blast to model, paint, and play. Who knows, I might even win a game someday, but that isn't the point. If I want to win, in a tournament or whatever, the Elves will always be there for that. Played right, they are a match for any army.

bigbiggles
11-06-2014, 03:51
If you are worried about remembering rules, do not play skaven. High elves are simple and strong. And decently fun to paint.

jprp
12-06-2014, 19:52
Play a few games just using the basics-ignore all the special rules for different units so you properly understand movement, sooting and combat then try adding one wizard each, then allow a limited number of magic weapons -say one per 1000pts then try the special rules.