PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my Wood Elves characters and adding stuff?

10-06-2014, 23:40
In the process of selling off some wood elves stuff and getting new stuff.

My current army that I am keeping has 44 archers, 24 Dryads, 6 Tree Kin, 2 Tree man, 15 War Dancers, 7 Waywatchers, 10 Glade Riders,.

I'm selling 10 Glade Riders and 24 old archers. Not sure about the 24 Dryads though.

I'm looking to acquire 2x5 Wild Riders, 4 Warhawk Riders, 2 Eagles and 5-7 more Waywatchers.

So I basically ask, where do my characters fit into this army. Outside of a Lvl 4, I'm not sure what to take or how to equip them to maximize my army.

I have a 2 Sorceror models, and another one on Eagle, Fighty Lord on Horse and on Foot and a BSB.

Is there even a point to a BSB in Wood Elves?

Spiney Norman
11-06-2014, 09:37
I have a 2 Sorceror models, and another one on Eagle, Fighty Lord on Horse and on Foot and a BSB.

Is there even a point to a BSB in Wood Elves?

Not unless you want to play a stubborn line with multiple treemen and a large eternal guard brick.

Characters are a tricky one in wood elves, nothing is really stand-out amazing, obviously your L4 is a given, and right there you need to decided if you want to give her the acorn or not. If you do (which I think is a great choice), you need to build for playing in very dense terrain, which means scouts/WW are excellent choice, and lots of wild riders and sisters for the ride.

If you go for an acorn Mage I would seriously consider a noble with the moonstone, put him in a unit of WWRs or wild riders to get them into a threatening position really early on.

True shot arrows are also really worth considering in an acorn list because shooting modifiers work both ways.

If you're not going down the acorn route I would probably look at a couple of branchwraiths as supporting mages/channellers and a way stalker or two to snipe out the enemy wizard.

Vulgarsty
11-06-2014, 11:02
"True shot arrows are also really worth considering in an acorn list because shooting modifiers work both ways."

yeah, but you are going to be shooting out of cover mostly, not into it so hagbanes still good?

Spiney Norman
11-06-2014, 13:06
"True shot arrows are also really worth considering in an acorn list because shooting modifiers work both ways."

yeah, but you are going to be shooting out of cover mostly, not into it so hagbanes still good?

Yes, and I would definitely take hagbanes on any scout units you have.

Glade guard I usually take one unit each of true-guard and one of hag-guard (10 in each), the true shot arrows are handy for hitting any enemy Skirmishers or other hard-to-hit units, esp that have intervening terrain in the way or decide they want to set up camp in a building.

Incidentally true-guard are hilarious in the watch tower scenario, esp if you give the unit the banner of eternal flame as well.

11-06-2014, 14:06
Yeah secondary characters in this army are hard to figure out. I used to do a BSB with Hail of Doom Arrow and a Machine gun Lord.

shredshredxx
12-06-2014, 06:50
I'm hearing some interesting, but also gimmicky-sounding stuff about tons(3-6!) of naked Waystalkers. Also, even if you only take one Waystalker, giving them the Bow of Loren is pretty fun.

Poseidal
12-06-2014, 11:02
I would think about Maidens if you have the special slot. They can likely fulfil the old light cavalry roles Glade Riders used to do and can't anymore, albeit at higher cost (but have other stuff to play with).

Evil Hypnotist
12-06-2014, 13:31
Also, even if you only take one Waystalker, giving them the Bow of Loren is pretty fun.

Waystalkers only have 1 attack though, so you only get 2 shots per turn compared to 4 giving it a captain. I am tempted to give him the Ruby Ring of Ruin instead and snipe with Fireball like Witch Hunters do...

Spiney Norman
12-06-2014, 14:21
Waystalkers only have 1 attack though, so you only get 2 shots per turn compared to 4 giving it a captain. I am tempted to give him the Ruby Ring of Ruin instead and snipe with Fireball like Witch Hunters do...

Even so, 2 sniper shots that ignore armour, or 4 non-sniper shots that don't ignore armour, I know which I'd choose.

Plus casting savage beast on a waystalker with the bow turns him into a machine gunner...

samuel44
15-06-2014, 07:39
Can you snipe using the ruby ring? I thought sniper applied only to shooting. If so that's awesome.

King Arthur
15-06-2014, 18:03
Yeh was answered with the witch hunters so when a character has the sniper applies this goes onto magic! Yay!

Imperator64
15-06-2014, 19:10

Are you sure that witch hunters can snipe with the ring? The FAQ I can see only mentions killingblow and the ring.

Lord Dan
15-06-2014, 19:37
Are you sure that witch hunters can snipe with the ring? The FAQ I can see only mentions killingblow and the ring.

This.

Sniper is an ability utilized during the shooting phase. The Empire FAQ specifies that RRoR fireball shots from a Witch Hunter at its quarry have the Killing Blow special rule, but it doesn't even mention the word Sniper:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer/Empire.pdf

Top of the right-most column.