PDA

View Full Version : Which Chapter for small detachment of Space Marines?

Brother-Captain Endymion
11-06-2014, 02:55
Hello fellow 'seers!

I've had about 500 points of SM laying around for quite some time. I'll probably never use them, but I thought it would be nice to paint them up anyway and use them for small demo games. The idea is that since Space Marines are very beginner-friendly, they would be great at serving this purpose. My question then becomes: Which chapter should I paint them up as? To help me choose, I've included a small poll of my approved options. Please note that I'm not so much interested in which flavor of codex to use, but merely interested in the paint scheme.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

BCE

EDIT:
I feel the need to explain the 'Ultramarines' Successor choice. This essentially means a codex-compliant (in the old fluff) chapter which is, more than likely, descended from RG's lads.

Evol Intent
11-06-2014, 03:36
Since you're not interested in the best choice - Raven Guard - I voted for Blood Angels. :D

Brother-Captain Endymion
11-06-2014, 04:16
I'm not that fond of painting black. I just can't seem to make it look good. True, IH are black, but I immediately regretted putting them in the poll as soon as I had posted it. There's no way to edit the poll, is there?

I suppose I would consider the Raptors in the RG's stead.

Evol Intent
11-06-2014, 05:39
I'm not that fond of painting black. I just can't seem to make it look good. True, IH are black, but I immediately regretted putting them in the poll as soon as I had posted it. There's no way to edit the poll, is there?

I suppose I would consider the Raptors in the RG's stead.

I'm not a fan of intense black either, so I went with a really dark grey, with black washes and highlights.

They still look like Raven Guard, but the models pop more.

Greyfox-ex
11-06-2014, 06:23
I adore blood angels, and a small assult squad with a good hq would serve you well but....there's not that many options and IMO blood angels work better as a larger unit , as the are very melee based chapter.

much as I hate to say it its its just a small detachment if prob go ultramarines as the IMO more diverse for a small unit and you hand more options .

my personal pick tho would be blood ravens tho , they are great for support again tho IMO

Evol Intent
11-06-2014, 06:33
I adore blood angels, and a small assult squad with a good hq would serve you well but....there's not that many options and IMO blood angels work better as a larger unit , as the are very melee based chapter.

Nothing is making him field the Blood Angels using their codex, rather than C:SM.

Besides, who knows what goodies they'll get in their (rumored to be rather soon) new codex.

tneva82
11-06-2014, 06:42
Well apart from me thinking dark angels are coolest by far they are also involved with the starter set so any new player who gets interested to marines could get hands on some cheap dark angels via starter set and get with it :D With tac squad, termi squad, ravenwing squad and 2 HQ's it's fairly decent start right off the bat for any new player looking for space marine force.

kieranhoare
11-06-2014, 12:38
custom black templar successor chapter (The Knight Hospitallers for the win, or due to being too close to sisters the Knights of St John, aka my chapter, however, they're controlled by my necrons ;) )

totgeboren
11-06-2014, 13:15
If you are only interested in paint scheme, may I be so bold as to suggest you pick the paint scheme you like best, or at the very least think feels most fun to paint? I recently painted a bunch of old RT-era Noise Marines in glam-rock colours just because it felt fun to paint something crazy (odd 80's and animal fur patters).

Other than that, both blue and green are pretty fun to paint as it's easy to get good coverage and easy to shade and highlight. Red is a bit trickier, yellow is hard but fun when you get the hang of it, black is also sort of hard as they often look flat unless you have really sharp highlights, white is even trickier when it comes to shading and highlight.

If it's mainly for other people to use, Ultras are good because many recognize them from PC games and such.

hobojebus
11-06-2014, 13:28
Get some angry marines.

09philj
11-06-2014, 14:24
No Salamanders? Shame.

T10
11-06-2014, 14:39
The poll is broken: It is missing the "Ultramarines" option. GW is sure to frown.

-T10

Fingers
11-06-2014, 15:37
I'm not that fond of painting black. I just can't seem to make it look good.

You should just paint them Orange. I keep hearing it is the new black....

DarkStar2032
11-06-2014, 17:38
get some angry marines.

Always angry!!!!!!!

All the time!!!!!!!!!

Charistoph
11-06-2014, 18:08
Custom Chapter for several reasons: they can use whatever Tactics/Codex the player chooses, and the paint scheme will always be "right".

Alternatively, use one of the " Unknown Origin" chapters like the Blood Ravens if you want to be official, as it offers similar freedom as above.

After I said all that, I realize we don't know what you have, and that can influence Tactics as much as anything else.

Brother-Captain Endymion
11-06-2014, 18:48
Thanks for all the replies, so far. I really appreciate it.

Other than that, both blue and green are pretty fun to paint as it's easy to get good coverage and easy to shade and highlight. Red is a bit trickier, yellow is hard but fun when you get the hang of it, black is also sort of hard as they often look flat unless you have really sharp highlights, white is even trickier when it comes to shading and highlight.

If it's mainly for other people to use, Ultras are good because many recognize them from PC games and such.

I'd like to lay off of blue and/or green as my main army is Death Skullz. That's more than enough blue and green already.

No Salamanders? Shame.

See above about the green. I do love the Sallie fluff, though.

The poll is broken: It is missing the "Ultramarines" option. GW is sure to frown.

Let them frown. :evilgrin:

After I said all that, I realize we don't know what you have, and that can influence Tactics as much as anything else.

Not much, really. Two AOBR sets worth of Marines with a few extra models thrown in. A land speeder, some Scouts, etc. A very vanilla force. As I said, I don't intend to grow the collection into anything more. But since I've returned to the game, I've become much more interested in the hobby aspect and abhor gray models.

So really what I'm hearing is Custom for the Chapter Traits. Blood Angels falls second in the poll. What about a mix? Maybe something like Lamenters? They're kind of codex compliant (well, more than BA and their fellow successors) and could play using either BA or C:SM.

Or maybe Exorcists for that lovely shade of crimson...

(Oddly enough, I realize that neither of these are listed on the poll.)

stonehorse
11-06-2014, 19:04
You should just paint them Orange. I keep hearing it is the new black....

Hahaha, nice!

Iron Hands I think have hands down the best Chapter Tactics, given how vehicles got more durable, it just makes Rhinos and Landraiders brilliant.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
11-06-2014, 20:07
These people seem to be forgetting the greatest chapter in the poll. The Imperial Fists are the only choice.

More accurately, decide on what you want to paint, and pick that. But painting yellow is a lot of fun ;)

Charistoph
11-06-2014, 20:21
Not much, really. Two AOBR sets worth of Marines with a few extra models thrown in. A land speeder, some Scouts, etc. A very vanilla force. As I said, I don't intend to grow the collection into anything more. But since I've returned to the game, I've become much more interested in the hobby aspect and abhor gray models.

Pretty basic then. Most will do good, really, as nothing stands out.

So really what I'm hearing is Custom for the Chapter Traits. Blood Angels falls second in the poll. What about a mix? Maybe something like Lamenters? They're kind of codex compliant (well, more than BA and their fellow successors) and could play using either BA or C:SM.

Or maybe Exorcists for that lovely shade of crimson...

(Oddly enough, I realize that neither of these are listed on the poll.)

Sounds like you want to have Red Marines. Most of the Loyalist Legions have successors with red armour, though Blood Angels obviously have the most. Their 'Tactics' really do favor Assault Marines, though.

Space Wolves don't, because they really shouldn't have successors.

But if it's just a hobby thing, go with what you love. You really seem to like the Exorcists, so go with their scheme. They can always act like another chapter if you really want.

Retrospectus
11-06-2014, 23:04
crimson fists?

sonsoftherock
12-06-2014, 12:33
Why not try one of the chapters that is close to being wiped out, so that your small force is a significant amount of what's left.

Crimson Fists, Scythes of the Emperor, Celestial Lions, Mantis Warriors

There is a fair amount of choice, mostly with cool colour schemes and interesting background.

hobojebus
12-06-2014, 12:54
Angry marines man armed with power boots and power folding chairs.

Go angry or go home...Angry!

Akwikone
12-06-2014, 13:15
Why not try one of the chapters that is close to being wiped out, so that your small force is a significant amount of what's left.

Crimson Fists, Scythes of the Emperor, Celestial Lions, Mantis Warriors

There is a fair amount of choice, mostly with cool colour schemes and interesting background.

Don't forget Lamenters and Soul Drinkers.

Another option to consider are the Raptors, being one of the few Space Marine Chapters to paint their armor for camouflage, instead of their chapter colors. So if you have a preferred table at your Club/LGS/Etc. Paint them to match that. Though a word of warning against certain camo schemes, as it can become really easy to miscount how many models are left in a unit, or pass over them because they blend in too well.

NotMyIfurita
12-06-2014, 13:32
Sons of Orar? Ultras successor in red could be what you're looking for.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Orar

Chem-Dog
12-06-2014, 18:01
Relictors.

wftwg

Just Tony
13-06-2014, 04:19
Raptors, which is what I would do if I wasn't swimming in Crimson Fists.

Just Tony
13-06-2014, 04:20
Don't forget Lamenters and Soul Drinkers.

Another option to consider are the Raptors, being one of the few Space Marine Chapters to paint their armor for camouflage, instead of their chapter colors. So if you have a preferred table at your Club/LGS/Etc. Paint them to match that. Though a word of warning against certain camo schemes, as it can become really easy to miscount how many models are left in a unit, or pass over them because they blend in too well.

I thought the Raptors were simply Camo Green and be done with it. Play Fire Warrior sometime, NONE of the Raptors in that game are painted to match the terrain.

Just Tony
13-06-2014, 04:23
The other cool thing is that Raptors have shoulder pads made already

Ghazbad_Facestompa
13-06-2014, 04:31
Fire Warrior can't be considered indicative of much. FW handled the Raptors too, and did much better with them.

Akwikone
13-06-2014, 05:11
I thought the Raptors were simply Camo Green and be done with it. Play Fire Warrior sometime, NONE of the Raptors in that game are painted to match the terrain.

Badab War: Operation Sedna has the Raptors using Winter Tundra Camo.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/1/1a/Brother_Adalgis.jpg

Just Tony
13-06-2014, 15:24
Fire Warrior can't be considered indicative of much. FW handled the Raptors too, and did much better with them.

Ah, that's what I get for not giving any sort of **** about what Forge World does other than a few add-ons.