PDA

View Full Version : Starting up 40k again. What edition are we up to now?

Rob
13-06-2005, 04:39
I've played 2nd and 3rd edition. I was playing Nurgle. Dawn of War has kept me busy in the mean time (I haven't played 40k for almost 2 years.)

Was thinking of continuing spreading disease with nurlge and maybe getting some new tyranid models. They look pretty wild.

So, what rule books do I need now? And are there new codex'?

Thanx

Strikerkc
13-06-2005, 04:57
4th Eddition.

There is also a full rule book (it has no fluff or "kill team" rules) in the Battle for Macrage box set. The BFM box set is actualy cheaper than the full rule book, so if your only looking for rules pick up the BFM box and get some cool terrain and the full rules for less than the main rule book's cost ;).

The only codexes that have been bade since 4th came out are Space Marines and the new Tyranid codex. Just make sure you have the 4th eddition compatible chaos codex (it's possibile you have the very first 3rd eddition chaos codex, very old, very out of date).

Rob
13-06-2005, 05:00
Thanx for the tip. I have the 2nd book of Chaos from the 3rd edition. The one that has the revision that Plague marines can't ride bikes.

grizzly ruin
13-06-2005, 05:15
Thanx for the tip. I have the 2nd book of Chaos from the 3rd edition. The one that has the revision that Plague marines can't ride bikes.

That book has gone through a few printings, so make sure to consult the appropriate FAQ, which sadly is not often enough either.

x-esiv-4c
13-06-2005, 05:17
Welcome to 4th ed. And from a Death-guard player myself I welcome you. Spread the gift of the grandfather....

MidnightResistance
13-06-2005, 09:23
Rob, you've been fortunate enough to have an army that doesn't need any major (or possibley any) revisions to fit in the new edition.

Cloudscape_online
13-06-2005, 09:43
The new 4th edition rulebook is actually worth 30, IMHO. It really is. I have never seen such a grand collection of works that presents the 40K universe and all of its diversities. Core rules, introductions to races, multiple missions and levels of mission, etc.

Tyranids or Chaos are good to play at the moment. Avoid Orks or IG until their new codices are printed.

MidnightResistance
13-06-2005, 10:13
I got mine in hardback. Oh how I luvs it :)

Ruskins
13-06-2005, 13:23
Orks i can understand as they have a very old codex, but IG was one of the last to be redone, whats wrong with IG?

Sanjuro
13-06-2005, 15:40
Orks i can understand as they have a very old codex, but IG was one of the last to be redone, whats wrong with IG?

Nothing really, but it was one of the first codexes to get a re-vamp. We are probably 5-6 years or so from the next IG codex, and standard codex creep theory suggests that it will be one of the most underpowered armies in 4th edition as a result.

I don't agree with that, though.

x-esiv-4c
13-06-2005, 15:48
The IG codex update is probably the best codex re-vamp of them all IMHO.

Cloudscape_online
13-06-2005, 16:00

It doesn't stand up to the new codexes. SMs' and Tyranids dick on me continually since their new releases. Need new tactics, but no-one has any suggestions.

Sai-Lauren
13-06-2005, 16:13
4th Eddition.

More like 3.1. (Paul Sawyer's comment for those that can remember it)

Not a lot has changed between 3rd and the current edition, and most of the codices are still valid, although Dark Eldar and Dark Angels got a slight polish, and Chaos and Guard got reworked - mainly because of Eye Of Terror. New for 3.1 are Marines (with chapter traits), and Tyrannids (only just released), with Black Templars getting their own codex for christmas.

The only other codices which are obsolete now are Assassins (in Daemon Hunters and Witch Hunters), Catachan (just updated on the GW website as a free download), Armageddon Steel Legion and Salamanders from Armageddon, and the Cadian list in EoT.

Guard will probably still be a valid choice, even with codex creep, for a couple of years yet. More than enough time to get used to using them.

Rob
14-06-2005, 03:34
I'm glad my Chaos codex is still good. I just don't know the new rules. It took a while for me to adjust from the 2nd edition to the 3rd.

Strikerkc
14-06-2005, 04:26
I'm glad my Chaos codex is still good. I just don't know the new rules. It took a while for me to adjust from the 2nd edition to the 3rd.

There are a lot of changes, they're just all fairly minor, so each change taken by itself is unconsequential, while all taken together can seem like a little bit of an over load.

Your best off just reading the new rules as if they were compleetly new, that way your not consantly thinking "So it's like the old way but with this new bit" which can get a bit confusing. Just start fresh ;).

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 04:27
The game has been rebuilt to be faster, simpler and more dynamic it's a world of change since good old second edition days.