PDA

View Full Version : Monstrous Arcanum

still-young
15-06-2014, 20:43
Hello,
the main draw for this game for me is undoubtably the monsters. I could easily own every single big monster kit GW release (been trying to find a way to squeeze an arachnarok into a lizardmen army; any suggestions welcome!) I've been looking at Monstrous Arcanum, and from everything I've seen/heard it looks like a pretty cool/fun book! So, people who own it, would you recommend it? Do you get chance to use it much, and when you do, is it enjoyable?

Thank you.

Urgat
15-06-2014, 21:17
I haven't had the opportunity to use mine yet, but yeah, I'd recommand it, it's full of goodies for monster lovers. There's a few OP choices (the dread saurian), quite a few stinkers (the gigantic squig), but most of them should be otherwise pretty fun to use.
As for using monsters in regular lists, you ought to get the Storm of Magic book, there's rules covering that, including profiles for most monsters w/o any riders. They're normaly used for SoM games (loads of other additional rules), but many people use the binding scroll rules in regular games.

still-young
15-06-2014, 21:20
Okay cool, thank you for the quick reply. I will get the Storm of Magic book too, thank you for the recommendation, can I use the arachnarok with no riders in my LM army with it? :D

also are the monsters in MA for use with storm of magic games, or just normal games?

ewar
15-06-2014, 21:26
The Scrolls of Binding in SoM are technically for use only in SoM games, but lots of people will agree to play with them as rare choices. I've even been to tournaments which give an extra 300 points to take scrolls of binding, it was a really good laugh seeing so many monsters in games.

Also, I run a riderless Arachnorok with my Lizardmen, because it is a damned cool model and what else would come out of a jungle alongside dinosaurs?? Giant frickin spiders, that's what. :)

still-young
15-06-2014, 21:51
My thoughts exactly, the spider fits thematically, and it's suchhh a cool model it had me contemplating a savage Orc/ forest goblin tribe just to run them.

Tae
15-06-2014, 21:59
The Throne of Skulls tournaments at Warhammer World allow SoM or MA stuff in your special choice, so you can get some use of them, but as others have said its a bit of an odd book as some are outright broken whilst others are utter garbage.

But enjoy using your monsters!

ewar
15-06-2014, 22:05
some are outright broken whilst others are utter garbage.

Welcome to Forgeworld :)

I've generally found them to be a fun addition to the game, and none of them are as insane as more commonly seen stuff like K'Daii Destroyers or WOC Chimeras. Even the Dread Saurian, which with the ethereal upgrade is just insane, is damned expensive and still liable to Pit etc.

Plus, if nothing else, its just a really, really nice book to own. I would highly recommend it.

still-young
15-06-2014, 22:09
Awesome, might bite the bullet on it then :) and good to hear it's allowed in tournaments like that, never done a tournament before but I'm planning to in the future

dalezzz
16-06-2014, 07:19
I'll agree with everyone above , it's an excellent book and well worth picking up , you might struggle to get much use out of it depending on the opponents in your area though .

maybe take a spare ( insert one of the more powerful beasts here) with you so if your opponent does cause a fuss you can always bribe him with the opportunity to use the big nasty ;)

Metacarpi
16-06-2014, 07:32
It's a lovely book - it's also worth noting that there's a bundle with MA and Tamurkhan on the FW website. MA alone is 42, that bundle is 55.

There's an interesting typo as well - look at the entry for the Merwyrm. There are 3 types of wyrm, each with it's own special rule and points cost.

Now look under the "Special Rules - All" - what's that? All of those special rules are listed there? So every type of wyrm technically gets all of the special attacks?

Scythe
16-06-2014, 07:34
Arcanum is a very underrated book imo. Great book, fine illustrations and layout, and some great monsters inside. The rules are a mixed bag at times, but generally, it is just a great book to have for anyone who loves a couple of monsters in their warhammer games. True shame forgeworld seems to have gutted its fantasy section in favour of more Horus Hersey stuff (as nice as that might be, my heart still lies with the fantasy monsters. A shame we will probably never see releases for things like the Shard Dragon and the Khemric Titan.

Metacarpi
16-06-2014, 07:52
Arcanum is a very underrated book imo. Great book, fine illustrations and layout, and some great monsters inside. The rules are a mixed bag at times, but generally, it is just a great book to have for anyone who loves a couple of monsters in their warhammer games. True shame forgeworld seems to have gutted its fantasy section in favour of more Horus Hersey stuff (as nice as that might be, my heart still lies with the fantasy monsters. A shame we will probably never see releases for things like the Shard Dragon and the Khemric Titan.

This is very true, even for the less desirable monsters, the art work is fantastic - for example, the Colossal Squig is somewhat lacking, but the depiction of it is probably my favourite in the book. Feels very "Demon's Souls" to me!

still-young
16-06-2014, 08:05
Oooh I love books with good artwork, even more tempted just for that now.

The bundle with Tamurkhan seems like a pretty good deal as you're getting MA for like a tenner... Is Tamurkhan worth it? Bearing in mind I don't play chaos is it still a good book to read?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

still-young
16-06-2014, 08:23
Okay just went on FW, and apparantly the bundle for both books is 45, the same price as Tamurkhan...

Metacarpi
16-06-2014, 08:31
Okay just went on FW, and apparantly the bundle for both books is 45, the same price as Tamurkhan...

This annoys me greatly. I bought the MA book in store at a Battle Brothers event, and not a single staff member mentioned the bundle to me :(

The one guy I know who has the Tamurkhan book said he thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and if the artwork/general quality of the book is as good as MA (which I believe it is), it's totally worth getting that bundle for an extra what, 13 over the cost of MA?

I've just contacted my group to see if anyone wants to go halves on that bundle, just so I can get Tamurkhan. :p

GrandmasterWang
16-06-2014, 08:33

Get the bundle man.

I got both full price individually and dont regret it at all.

Arachnarok sans goblin rules are in Storm of Magic (which as a fellow monster lover I recommend to you)

Got Tamurkhan for the Chaos Dwarfs but it has some good story background and doesn't just cover chaos (features empire heroes/land ship etc with rules)

Both feel like quality books. Tamurkhan has much more in the way of story than MA but then it is a much larger book... it even has a couple of monsters :)

Forgeworld emailed me and said they haven't given up on Warhammer Forge they are just focusing on the HH at the moment. They said they had no new projects planned for this year (mow... wanted elemental of death) but that they were certainly not done releasing models for Warhammer Forge.

Enjoy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

still-young
16-06-2014, 09:06
Do you know if this is a limited bundle? I won't be able to get it til probably next month. And I'm glad to hear they haven't completely dropped WF

Metacarpi
16-06-2014, 09:08
Do you know if this is a limited bundle? I won't be able to get it til probably next month. And I'm glad to hear they haven't completely dropped WF

I doubt it, the bundle was offered at 55 for quite a while apparently.

still-young
16-06-2014, 09:23
Okay awesome, gonna pick that up then :)

felimid
16-06-2014, 09:38
Hi still-young, your query has moved me to make my first post on this forum. I have to agree that monsters make warhammer awesome and SoM should be your first stop for adding random monsters or monstrous beasts to your games. There is a scenario section toward the end of Monstrous Arcanum. The first of these scenarios, Monstrous Confrontation, is a standard game of warhammer with the addition of 25% of points total to spend on scrolls of binding. The special rules for the scenario state you can increase this to 50% or even higher with opponent's consent. This is the only way I play :)

Also, Tamurkhan is a good read even if you don't play any of the relevant armies. However the scrolls of binding at the end are included in MA.

PlasticSwap.Com
17-06-2014, 23:21
The GT's in my state are all allowing SoM and MA monsters this year. I'm excited to try my super monster mash lizardmen list out.