PDA

View Full Version : Some questions for my fellow Warhammer players.

najo
16-06-2014, 22:42
Doing a quick survey, answer short and sweet:
1) Two favorite 8th edition rule changes.
2) least favorite 8th edition change and why?
3) Favorite rule that's gone from previous edition?
4) Top three favorite armies you play?
5) if you could make one simple change to warhammer's rules for 9th edition, what would it be?

Epicene
16-06-2014, 22:49
1) Steadfast and Hoard rules
2) Random charge distances - there were ways around the "1 inch shuffle" and developing those techniques and strategies was one of my favourite aspects of WHFB.
3) Not exactly gone, but - I like some of the changes to the magic system (just not the actual spells themselves)
4) High Elves, Empire, Night Goblins
5) Either bring back the old charge rules or give a +1A bonus on the charge (1+ combat res just doesn't feel like enough of a bonus to me)

Mozzamanx
16-06-2014, 23:07
1) Steadfast and Step Up. Both serve to make infantry a solid foundation for the army and ended the supremacy of cavalry charges.
2) True Line of Sight because it has made a mockery of hiding units and brought Cannons even further up the scales of power.
3) Unit Strength, because in it's absence we have to introduce lots of footnotes and inconsistencies like qualifying for Steadfast or counting ranks.
4) I only regularly play Beastmen but have shelved armies of Tomb Kings, Wood Elves and O&G.
5) Dwellers, Sun and Transmute are inflicted as shooting damage. No more character sniping but they remain effective at murdering deathstars.

Alltaken
17-06-2014, 04:56
1) step up, magic dispell generation pool

2) cannon 1D6 and vortex spells with no save. Both the same answer, hard counters (1 shot attacks) are very frustrating and unbalance matches way too much, softer counters generate better game play. 1D3 wounds, mr for every magic thing, no Ini check vortexes, etc.

3) March freaking Block!

4) Dark elf, wood elf, lizardmen

5) magic generation probably if just 1 change allowed. scaling to game point value and making it more reliable at the same time, 1D3 for each 500 points.

From my servoskull

dalezzz
17-06-2014, 05:46
1. Random charges and steadfast , pre measuring is the way forward when you use a modular table and bigger army's
2. true line of sight , not sure I need to go into this :p
3. Random mutations from realm of chaos! A proper set of mutations
4. Beastmen, empire , skaven
5. Make MR work against the super spells (also wards)

Urgat
17-06-2014, 06:00
5) if you could make one simple change to warhammer's rules for 9th edition, what would it be?

1) steadfast and step up
2) LoS and skirmisher.
3) You mean, the rule we're most glad it's gone, or the opposite? If former, fixed charge range, it led to the stupid chuffle dance. If later, unit strength. It really made things simpler in a lot of ways.
4) OnG, GnO, GnG
5) only one (you know that someone and then someone else and then someone else and then everybody will ignore that limit in three... two...)? :p Then the scaling miscast table I'm talking about in about every topic I can.

Wesser
17-06-2014, 06:16
1) Step up (made non-elves matter) & measuring becoming legal (no more risk of cheating)
2) BsBs (that made Psychology non-existent). Building rules (oh gawd what a mess, especially Watchtower)
3) I know I've said I like pre-measuring, but it was really fun for a while having a reputation for sniper-like abilities with my cannons (tell me to hit the goblin with the big hat....)
4) Woodies, Vamps and Brets
5) Nerf BsB, reword Make Way to prevent it's current over-abuse and curtail spells that strike on initiative (as they are either useless or simply OP depending on opposition)

Lord Solar Plexus
17-06-2014, 06:51
1) Steadfast & horde/supporting attacks. Introduced infantry into WFB.
2) No charge reaction vs. random movers. Too good.
3) Charger strikes first.
4) That *I* play? Empire, WoC.
5) Two changes: Templates randomize between rider and mount; Fear gives -1 Ld for break tests, terror -2, even against SF/stubborn units.

Snake1311
17-06-2014, 08:34
5) Dwellers, Sun and Transmute are inflicted as shooting damage. No more character sniping but they remain effective at murdering deathstars.

Sun allows for Look Outs, its a template :) your wish is 33% there!

StygianBeach
17-06-2014, 09:09
1) Pre-Measuring. Random Charges.
2) True Line of Sight, it messes with gameplay and conversions.
3) A failed Stupidity test can become a charge.
4) Beastmen, Warriors, Dark Elves.
5) Fleeing through Enemy units causes dangerous Terrain tests, which are failed on a 1-4.

TheLionReturns
17-06-2014, 09:52
1) Random charge distances and stepping up
2) True LoS
3) Old march blocking rules
4) Wood Elves (I only play one army these days)
5) Make danger of miscast scale with number of dice used (ie not just chance of it happening but severity of the miscast result)

Metacarpi
17-06-2014, 10:14

Step Up, Steadfast

True Line of Sight - boo and hiss, sniper cannons!

I read this as "rule I'm glad has gone" so fixed charge range.

Daemons, Skaven, Ogres

I guess I'd make "remove models as casualties" into "suffers a wound". I'd also like to see a scalable miscast table, and see challenges being made into something actually useful, but I've no idea how.

theunwantedbeing
17-06-2014, 10:46
1. Percentages for army generation, step up.
2. Horde rule, BSB re-rolling all leadership tests, Cannons being a template.
3. Cannons randomise what part of a model they hit.
4. They're all equally fun!
5. Ditch the Horde rule and change the BSB to only re-roll break & rally tests.

Petey
17-06-2014, 20:03

1 Step up. Movement/Measuring changes
2 Terrain being what it is. Charge distances being too far
3 When armor penetration wasn't attached to S (3rd Edition)
4 High Elves, Vampires, Dark Elves
5 Make armor penetration start at S5 instead of at S4 and remove the added armor save from being mounted (they would have to come as a package deal)