PDA

View Full Version : Mecha orks/gobbos

Mikari
20-06-2006, 02:26
Has anyone seen a fully mechanised Ork army? I'm not talking trucks rather full of killer kanz and dreadnaughts. I'm a mecha fanboy at heart and would love to see an Ork army based on Zeon mobile suits, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it with the current rules and really need to wait for the new dex and hope traits will make it possible or at least close with traits.

But I'm still curious if anyone else has seen them. I was thinking it would be cool to see a gretchin piloting an Ork style Zaku as if it was some 10 ton monster rather than the 10 foot tall rusty pile of bolts it is.

If no one has I might doodle up some concept sketchs and see which would be the easiest to scratch build (and mass produce for an army) and looks best.

Lord of ???
20-06-2006, 03:42
You can get close by having your army full of Mega Armour, Cyborks and 'Ard Boyz

Clang
20-06-2006, 08:19
personally I'm waiting for the new Ork codex (hopefully some time in the next 12 months), coz i'd hate to do heaps of converting only to discover that my army was rubbish or illegal under the new codex.

metallegion
20-06-2006, 13:32
me too... a heavy dred/khan list/ mega monsters... is all I've been waiting for to get into orks!!!! I'm waiting for the new dex.... hopefully they will have Uge amount of HTH weapon options.. like burnas/saws/jack hammers/ spinning thingz of death..ect...

Z-chan
20-06-2006, 14:02
Well, I was planning to make a Tau army with a Zeon theme, you know, Shas'o painted red with a single command antenna, green Shas'uis, and a trio uf black and purple Broadsides.. The plan never came to fruition, as I found myself sidetracked by my Mortifactors...:skull:

CommunistBrother
20-06-2006, 15:08
I think z-chan's idea would actually be your best bet here, seeing as Zeon had a fully functional ground army as well(which would take the place of fire warriors) you could even go to the length of converting your hammerheads to those tanks they used. You might even be able to work some Dopps(sp?)in there somewhere.

I don't see it happening with Orks though. I mean, you might be able to get away with it saying that the leader of the tribe/clan/fighty peoples is a bi mek who mass produces(in only a most basic sense) a certain pattern of dred or kahn. These resemble [insert whatever mobile suit you want]. They'd need considerable Orkifying, though, and may not look as close to the original as you hope.

Either way you go though, keep us updated this sounds like a pretty sweet project.

damz451
20-06-2006, 15:09
im currently working on a mecha theme tau army based on landmates from appleseed. Its costing nearl £20 per crisis suit to convert them :(

||-MARKO-||
20-06-2006, 16:22
ive seen one, but it sucked. seriously, it coulndt wipe out a scout squad which it's cyborks outnumbered about 2 to 1, and it took 2 killa kans and 3 turns to kill a chaplain. dont do it mate.

@damz451 - "If Vin diesal can play 40k why cant it?!" - he plays 40k?

Acolyte
20-06-2006, 16:30
@damz451 - "If Vin diesal can play 40k why cant it?!" - he plays 40k?

No, but he DOES play D&D.

Anyways. Yeah, an all-Mechanized (As in Mega Armour, Cyborks, ect) wouldn't do great, simply because 8/10 of your units are thrown out the window.
However, converting your whole army to be 'mechanized' (Ork-Borgs!) would be pretty damn cool.

But, if you're into Mecha, play Tau.

Damien 1427
20-06-2006, 16:41
I'm debating whether to try out a Tinboy army in the near future, or wait for the Ork Codex. Mostly just having the Warboss and Nobz as tinboyz controlled by Meks, with the Killer Kanz being "Soopa-Tinboyz". I'd have all the ladz as Orky Tinboyz as well, but I worked out to build them out of bionikz would cost around 5 each... Considering how many I'd need, that's a shade overkill.

Mikari
20-06-2006, 20:34
Well, I was planning to make a Tau army with a Zeon theme, you know, Shas'o painted red with a single command antenna, green Shas'uis, and a trio uf black and purple Broadsides.. The plan never came to fruition, as I found myself sidetracked by my Mortifactors...:skull:

I bow to your avatar, it is made of win and love. I cannot defend myself against an Acguy.

The Tristars are close combat fighters, broadsides don't make sense. Theres not a whole horde of Zeonic snipers at least well known ones, but you could always turn them into Zaku cannons in effect.

I really hate the Crisis suit models. They're ugly and static. Plus Zakus don't fit the Tau style. They're closer to the Valkyrie than any sort of mobile suit. Plus they completely lack any sort of figure to work off, they're static builds and trying to mod them in any maybe way is suicidal.

Also if I did Tau I'd paint them in Titan's colours since I did a drone in the TTT (Titan's test team) colours based off the Hi-Zack and it looked uber sexy (we're talking introducing it to your mother it was so hot). So if I ever do Tau they're Titans in every way possible. Complete with Mark 2/Hi-Zack style backpacks.

Orks make more sense to me since they could have random robots in different forms. So strange looking mono eyed things wouldn't look too out of place.

Damien : You assume I'd give GW any more :P 90% of the army would be scratch built since GW don't even come close to having stuff I'm looking for.

Da Reddaneks
20-06-2006, 20:35
i think a guy named MadJack plays an all "ard" army list. Maybe you can get him to post some pics of his army.

damz451
20-06-2006, 20:40
@Marko wiki says that he plays 40k

Z-chan
21-06-2006, 01:40
Well, I had this idea a few hours back, inspired by one of the Ork armies which I saw here based on comics.
Why not SUPER ROBOT-crazed Orks!!! Orks coming upon a treasure trove of 70's anime!!! Orks driven with the power of BURNING COURAGE!! bwahahahahahah....

Why not a Mazinger K(Kan) and Nob rangers... And yes, a Yamato battlewagon with the Wave-motion Zzap gun of doom.. Why not...

Mikari
21-06-2006, 01:46
Rangers are Sentai not Super robot. Big difference :P

Tendork would be intresting.. : My grandmother always used to say, kicking them in the knees first always wins! ..hmm yea, Kamen rider doesn't work well with Orks.

Plus you know Getter would be so much better than Mazinger. Having a huge tomahawk would be awesome. Plus when it falls apart you can claim it's Open Gets!

Hell we could go really insane and just make an Ork Ideon. What could ever go wrong if your mecha was destroyed it reset the universe huh?

Bah damn it. Now I want to do a Panda Z Ork.. curse you!

Toppan
21-06-2006, 01:58
wow the amount of mecha-nerd in this thread hurts my brain
i thought of having an all kan army once, dread as a warboss/mek, kans as nobs, little plasticard tinboys for boys, in fact, that would be quite awesome. for grots you could...hmmm something meky...grots riding on gun drones? jetpack grots?
theres a ton of possibilities, and this mek idea i came up with actually would come into fruition if i didnt have plans/ferals already.

Z-chan
21-06-2006, 05:42
>> Rangers are Sentai not Super robot. Big difference :P

Well, I guessed they'd fit in with the theme... :p

>>Plus you know Getter would be so much better than Mazinger. Having a huge tomahawk would be awesome. Plus when it falls apart you can claim it's Open Gets!

That's a neat idea. Conversion heaven(or hell)... Wonder how Getta would look Orkified!? :evilgrin:

>> Hell we could go really insane and just make an Ork Ideon. What could ever go wrong if your mecha was destroyed it reset the universe huh?

Most imbalanced mecha ever... If SRW was of any indication. That thing makes Imperator-class Battle Titans run home to theim mommies.
ZAKUS FOR THE GM GOD!!!

Mikari
21-06-2006, 05:46
Ideons sort of ment to be imbalanced. How the hell do you beat a foe that if you kill you destroy the universe with? It's just... impossible to win. There isn't any way to beat it.

Depends which Getter. Some Getter 3s already look very orkish already, just depends how you work it really.

Could always take theeasy route ad do Ork balls :D

Clang
21-06-2006, 20:55
how about an army of grots in their feeble broken-down equivalent of terminator armour, i.e. mini-robots, which 'play as' normal orks? That lets you have robots/walkers/Kanz galore, without needing special rules.