PDA

View Full Version : 2+ ward against flaming, and the wierd stuff that ensues..

EvanM
22-06-2014, 16:25
In my last battle, I cast flame cloak (?) (which does 2d6 S4 flaming hits to any unit in contact with you) and flaming sword of ruin (flaming attacks and +1 to hit) on my swordsmen.

the next turn, I was charged by 5 dragon princes (it was my horde of swordsmen) and I realized oh no! All of my attacks are flaming! they had 2+ 2++ against all 30 + 2d6 attacks, and even my general (with runefang) didnt do any damage.

any of that seem screwed up to you?

its like if you imagine what FSOR is supposed to do, it would cause the swords to catch fire. So cant you just be able to choose not to use flaming attacks (if its something like this, not something like a breath weapon)? itd be kinda nice for when i screw up and rob my unit of any damage for a turn.

Shadeseraph
22-06-2014, 16:37
Well... you screwed up in the first place. Flamming cannons have had that problem for a long time, and there is a reason why the dragonhelm and the dragonbane gem are so popular. One big concern when taking an army is if picking a banner of the eternal flame on one of the units is a good idea, precisely because of this. And in this case, it's pretty much your own fault. So no, I don't think you should get an easy way out of those situations just because you messed up.

Next time, remember those DPs have a 2++ against fire if they are within charge range.

liddan
22-06-2014, 16:57
Warhammer is all about knowing what will happen before it does. You should be able to imagine that that he wants his 2++ vs flaming attacks against your unit that you have given exclusively flaming attacks. Think before and this isn't an issue.

That being said. If you have a magic weapon, you don't get flaming attacks (rulebook pg. 69) so your general with runefang should still be able to inflict some damage.

datalink7
22-06-2014, 17:38
On this subject, I once saw 10 Sisters (with their flaming attacks) knock the last two wounds off of a WoC Daemon Prince (with a 1+ AS and Dragonbane Gem). Not sure what the odds are on that but it's pretty ridiculous.

pinktaco
22-06-2014, 20:25
@Datalink - They should've done 0,070 wounds assuming close range. Sooo.. yeah xD

@EvanM - Your opponent knew that the moment you went all in on fire magic on your unit was the time for him to charge. There's nothing to it. You'll just have to learn to deal with that :)

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
27-06-2014, 01:52
Scissors, meet rock. Rock...scissors.

Josfer
27-06-2014, 05:21
On this subject, I once saw 10 Sisters (with their flaming attacks) knock the last two wounds off of a WoC Daemon Prince (with a 1+ AS and Dragonbane Gem). Not sure what the odds are on that but it's pretty ridiculous.
Assuming they had no negative modifier like long range, moving, stand and shoot or cover, they hit on 2+, wound on 4+, you get a 3+ AS and 2++, so a successfull wound has a 2.3% chance. Not wounding at all has a ~79% chance, wounding once has a ~19% chance and wounding twice or more has a 2.1% chance. That's pretty bad, but isn't THAT bad (roughly like box cars or snake eyes).

datalink7
27-06-2014, 05:53
Assuming they had no negative modifier like long range, moving, stand and shoot or cover, they hit on 2+, wound on 4+, you get a 3+ AS and 2++, so a successfull wound has a 2.3% chance. Not wounding at all has a ~79% chance, wounding once has a ~19% chance and wounding twice or more has a 2.1% chance. That's pretty bad, but isn't THAT bad (roughly like box cars or snake eyes).

I can't remember, but it was probably long range as they only have 12" short range. No other modifiers.

And they wound on 5+, not 4+.

Wesser
27-06-2014, 06:38
This is a classic tactical error of applying the wrong spell.

The goofy stuff only comes into when you consider how exactly a coating of flame-resistant paint is stopping a cannonball, just because it is on fire...

Thankfully the "A Wizard did it" special rule takes care of that...

Waagh Rider
28-06-2014, 19:41
Anything that stymies cannon owners is fine by me....