PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves 2k

Typo
23-06-2014, 13:17
So,
To Throne of Skulls, I took a list comprising solely of models I already owned.

Level 4 Spellweaver - High Magic
* Dispel Scroll

BSB
* Hail of Doom Arrow
* Hagbane (I had points over)

Waystalker
* Bow of Loren

Waystalker

Waystalker

20 Eternal Guard
* Banner/Musician
* Shields

20 Eternal Guard
* Banner/Musician
* Shields

5 Scouts
* Hagbane

6 Scouts
* Hagbane

6 Scouts
* Hagbane

3 Warhawk Riders

3 Warhawk Riders

5 Wardancers

5 Wardancers

6 Waywatchers

I got slaughtered. In most of my games. The one I did any good at, was watchtower - and the guy had 8 Phoenix Guard left on the table (but in the wrong place!) :)

So my next purchases are going to be aimed at building on my previous "successes".
My proposed list is as follows:

Level 4 Spellweaver - Lore of Shadow - 310
Obsidian Lodestone (or Talisman of Preservation?)
Dispel Scroll
Elven Steed

Glade Captain - 135
Elven Steed
Bow of Loren
Hail of Doom Arrow

10 Glade Guard - 170
Banner/Musician
Trueflight

10 Glade Guard - 170
Banner/Musician
Trueflight

10 Glade Guard - 170
Banner/Musician
Trueflight

7 Sisters of the Thorn - 202
Banner/Musician

7 Sisters of the Thorn - 202
Banner/Musician

5 Wildriders - 160
Shields
Banner/Musician

5 Scouts - 80
Hagbane

5 Scouts - 80
Hagbane

5 Scouts - 80
Hagbane

6 Waywatchers - 120

6 Waywatchers - 120

Previously, the High Magic was partly to do with needing protection for my Mage. Now that she's mounted and has a viable bunker unit (and has a ward-or-MR), we can run with something more offencive.
The obvious angle on this list is to drop The Withering on my chosen target - and pelt it with arrows, while Cursing anything I want/need to stay still with the Sisters.
The Wild Riders, as the only combat punch in the list, will either prove a cheap distraction for opponents who are scared of them, or be used to mop up small / depleted units.
The captain is there for a cheeky arrow of kurnous, and as a HoDA delivery mechanism - in Fast Cav, he will be able to move right to where it's needed (as opposed to my previous attempt, which left me picking whatever was handy).

Thoughts / Suggestions / Criticism?

Thanks in advance.

teclis_16
23-06-2014, 20:27
You cannot equip more than one unit with the same kind of enchanted arrow. I know it sucks. Threw a wrench in to my plans for yesterdays game.

teclis_16
23-06-2014, 20:29
I'm assuming what won you the game was your armies incredible flexibility. It would be really hard for most players to line up a proper charge.

Typo
24-06-2014, 11:46
You cannot equip more than one unit with the same kind of enchanted arrow. I know it sucks. Threw a wrench in to my plans for yesterdays game.

This isn't the place for that discussion, it's being had in several places already.

Warhammer world's events team and the 5 guys I played against at ToS were absolutely fine with multiple hagbane arrows on my scouts - as are my local opponents.

Obviously other events and TO's have the right to change this, but for the purposes of this thread please assume that multiple units may have the same arrow selection (until FAQ'd otherwise).

Look at it this way, my other four opponents were 2x Warriors, Wood Elves and Ogres. The Woodies had more shooting and the others were hard to deal with due to high toughness / immunity to poison / lots of armor.
Therefore - shadow to lower toughness, more watchers to ignore armor, more shots to deal with fellow elves.

daimyo52
24-06-2014, 13:05
I've faced 3 x 8 Wild Riders with my Daemons and it was horrendous to play against.

King Arthur
24-06-2014, 16:55
I like your list although I prefer 2x7WR rather than two units of sisters personal choice I actually also like my GG in a big unit as point on the table in the wood as are actually quite combat able.

Typo
24-06-2014, 17:20
I wondered about that - but as a points denial thing, multiple small units work better than one large unit (it's still going to die in combat if something gets to it, so I'd rather lose those than the whole thing).

It also means you can shoot at more than one target if the need arises (no point overkilling on a small unit of dogs if a single unit panics it in one volley).

Might consider 2x15 instead of 3x10 though.

I am tempted by more wild riders - perhaps 2x6, and change up the BoL on the captain to something more offensive. (Or throw him into the sisters as-is).

Thoughts on that one?

teclis_16
24-06-2014, 19:39
I am tempted by more wild riders - perhaps 2x6, and change up the BoL on the captain to something more offensive. (Or throw him into the sisters as-is).

Thoughts on that one?

If you are facing an army with lower leadership and can muster up the points try putting a spirit sword on a lord. I'm going to try a similar army that you have listed.
With fast cav you are most likely flanking units. When you do that your opponent will have his guys "make way" for any characters he may have in the unit. If you challenge him with the spirit sword he will probably die. If he refuses the challenge he is moved to the back of the unit. In either case you are taking away his best chance to win the combat.