PDA

View Full Version : giant slayer and slayer unit mixed

EvanM
24-06-2014, 00:46
any number of slayers can be upgraded to giant slayers.
Is this treated like having many champions? are they champions? do they get to be picked out in shooting attacks?

if the entire first rank is giant slayers, can no regular slayers be targetted with close combat attacks?

do they have to be at the front of the unit or are they just randomly all throughout the unit?

woodulikeanother
24-06-2014, 01:57
I had this same question and am super confused how to play this lol I know one thing that if they all are considered to be champions, then if they go against Chaos warriors, there will be many rolling on the gods chart which is very bad for the dwarfs

bigbiggles
24-06-2014, 03:07
I think they are treated as champions.

You also dont have to accept a challenge ever with champions. Even if there is no where for them to go

EvanM
24-06-2014, 03:32
Im gonna play with the giant slayers as if they are a bunch of separate champions.

Lorcryst
24-06-2014, 09:44
Giant Slayers are indeed Champions ... and there's a couple of cheesy and beardy comboes with them.

If you take a Slayer unit 5 wide and 5+ Giant Slayers in it, since the Command Group must go in the first rank but it is not specified WHICH Command Group models go in the first rank, you can have a first rank composed solely of Champions with the Banner and Musician in the second rank.

Meaning that your opponent can snipe them with special rules, but in combat he must allocate attacks to each Champion separately ... yes, against Warriors of Chaos that could lead to a lot of rolls, but don't forget the Death Blows of the Giant Slayers.

BUT, you can only ever have ONE Challenge going on in a close combat ... so no multiple Challenges for Warriors of Chaos, and your opponent can only kill one Giant Slayer at a time per Challenge, while still having to allocate attacks on the other Giant Slayers.

It's a good way to reduce the Combat Resolution you'll suffer with Slayers, since they have T4 and a good WS ... 4 Champions can be killed, 4 CR, and the Challenged one can yield a max of 6 CR (killed and maximum overkill), yes it's a lot of potential, but then the Slayers get to strike, and they can dish the hurt.

dooms33ker
24-06-2014, 21:10
Giant Slayers are indeed Champions ... and there's a couple of cheesy and beardy comboes with them.

If you take a Slayer unit 5 wide and 5+ Giant Slayers in it, since the Command Group must go in the first rank but it is not specified WHICH Command Group models go in the first rank, you can have a first rank composed solely of Champions with the Banner and Musician in the second rank.

Meaning that your opponent can snipe them with special rules, but in combat he must allocate attacks to each Champion separately ... yes, against Warriors of Chaos that could lead to a lot of rolls, but don't forget the Death Blows of the Giant Slayers.

BUT, you can only ever have ONE Challenge going on in a close combat ... so no multiple Challenges for Warriors of Chaos, and your opponent can only kill one Giant Slayer at a time per Challenge, while still having to allocate attacks on the other Giant Slayers.

It's a good way to reduce the Combat Resolution you'll suffer with Slayers, since they have T4 and a good WS ... 4 Champions can be killed, 4 CR, and the Challenged one can yield a max of 6 CR (killed and maximum overkill), yes it's a lot of potential, but then the Slayers get to strike, and they can dish the hurt.

Nothing cheesy or beardy about this sort of play; Ogres do it, Bretonnians do it, Goblins do it, so why not slayers? I think running several champs in the front of the unit is the only way to run Slayers to good effect.

Lorcryst
24-06-2014, 21:29
Well, some people consider the "gutstar" and the overabundance of Mallorian-pattern NG Big Bosses cheesy ... personnaly, when I play my gobboes against Dwarfs of Elves, I have to have a front rank of heroes somewhere to at least try to have a chance at winning the game :p

But yes, indeed, a 15-strong unit of Slayers with 10 Giant Slayers, Musician, Standard Bearer and only 3 "standard" Troll Slayers is an amazing unit, as I found while fighting them with my Plaguebearers ... ouch, those stunties hurt, and they don't die as easily as their lack of armour and questionable life-goals might make them look.

dooms33ker
25-06-2014, 06:56
Well, some people consider the "gutstar" and the overabundance of Mallorian-pattern NG Big Bosses cheesy ... personnaly, when I play my gobboes against Dwarfs of Elves, I have to have a front rank of heroes somewhere to at least try to have a chance at winning the game :p

But yes, indeed, a 15-strong unit of Slayers with 10 Giant Slayers, Musician, Standard Bearer and only 3 "standard" Troll Slayers is an amazing unit, as I found while fighting them with my Plaguebearers ... ouch, those stunties hurt, and they don't die as easily as their lack of armour and questionable life-goals might make them look.

10 giant slayers is really, really expensive. I think a unit of nothing but Giant Slayers would take the award for most expensive per-model infantry unit in the entire game :D.

Mr_Rose
25-06-2014, 07:27
10 giant slayers is really, really expensive. I think a unit of nothing but Giant Slayers would take the award for most expensive per-model infantry unit in the entire game :D.

For single-wound models at least. Equip 'em all with runic axes and you might well beat the multi-wounders too.

teclis_16
26-06-2014, 19:29

Super expensive and no saves... But remember that unit champions cannot have a banner or musician. So there's two models you probably wouldn't upgrade.

Lorcryst
26-06-2014, 20:05
Not so expensive when you consider their damage potential, durability (WS5 T4 I3 is good), Death Blow and Slayer Axes, combined with Ancestral Grudge ... a 3 or more on that nifty little table means that all Giant Slayers will reroll failed To Hit rolls against enemy characters (including Champions) in Challenges ... and you still can only have one Challenge per close combat, so you will only kill one Giant Slayer that way, while the other ones in the front rank will flail madly in the unit and you'll have to allocate attacks on each Giant Slayer not fighting the Challenge.

I've seen an unit of 25 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch get flanked by a Slayer unit 10-strong with 7 Giant Slayers in it yesterday, and the mad orange-haired stunties broke the Warriors on the charge ... it wasn't pretty !

Yes, the Slayers took a beating, there was only 2 Giant Slayers left in the unit after that single round of combat, but they killed way more than their point cost.

Definitively not an "anvil" unit, but one heck of a "hammer" unit.

bigbiggles
27-06-2014, 06:16
You don't even have to accept the challenges. You can just say no with no penalties