PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Characters Charging Out of a single Unit?

b4z
25-06-2014, 00:19
If a single Unit has multiple characters (let's say 5) in its Front Rank...

Can each of them declare their own individual charge out of the Unit at different Enemy Units?

Also, can they combine... say 3 characters charge out of the Unit together (as their own new unit) at 1 Enemy Unit, and 2 characters charge out of the Unit together (as their own new unit) at a 2nd Enemy Unit.

I cannot find anything on this, maybe i am not looking hard enough... but thats probably because the whole Characters section is written from the perspective of a single character in a unit.

Warhammer Rulebook, Page 101, Characters, Leaving a Unit
"A character can charge out of a unit, by declaring a charge in the relevant phase in which case, he will move and his unit will stay still - it is not permitted to declare a charge of its own, though it can move during the Remaining Moves phase."

hardyworld
25-06-2014, 00:27
I believe that each character may declare a charge out of a unit to engage an enemy unit. These characters may charge either the same enemy unit, or different enemy units. However, I don't think that characters can declare a charge together since they have not joined together to form a unit outside of their home unit (that they started the turn within); so each character will have to declare their charge separately.

TKerrygan
25-06-2014, 06:07
asked too many times. This issue never settle.
The widely accepted answer is they can't.

Lord Solar Plexus
25-06-2014, 06:30
A character may charge out of his unit on his own. That's one single character who declares a charge. The unit - that's the entire rest of the gang including all other Necros, Warrior, Skink and Plague Priests and other characters - however has to stay put. All other characters are still part of the unit at the time the first one declares his charge.

Characters also cannot form a unit within their unit, ie. during the charge declaration, so a clear no to both questions.

b4z
25-06-2014, 17:09
Warhammer Rulebook, Page 101, Characters, Leaving a Unit
"A character can charge out of a unit, by declaring a charge in the relevant phase in which case, he will move and his unit will stay still - it is not permitted to declare a charge of its own, though it can move during the Remaining Moves phase."

The whole Characters section is written from the perspective of one character in one unit, not multiple characters in one unit.

And the whole question and answer revolves around the above quote written in that same vein.

I do not really see how it is "a clear no" (to question one).

The above quote can be interpreted as allowing each and every character in the unit as being allowed to charge out of the Unit.

There is no explicit statement that "only one character can charge out of a unit".

As long as "the Unit" does not declare a charge of its own.
Other characters inside that Unit are not "the Unit" declaring a charge.
They are other characters which become their own single Unit when they declare their own charge.

furrie
25-06-2014, 19:10
Except on page 99 of the brb the paragraph "combined units" clearly states: "Whilst a character is part of a unit, both he and the unit (including any other characters that have joined that unit) are treated as a single combined unit for all rules purposes, save for the exceptions listed here." and charging out isn't listed as an exception. So the characters are counted as part of the unit and as such can't charge out of the unit after another character has charged out of that unit.

bigbiggles
29-06-2014, 09:27
That settles it. Just 1 character charge