PDA

View Full Version : Army centerpiece

DeaNos
30-06-2014, 14:40
Hi all

I'm looking at starting a new fantasy army I am more of a painter than a gamer. To choose the army I really would like a great model as the main attraction.

I don't know whether to go with the Lord and hero mount choice or a rare option. Any one have any good suggestions or ideas that be great.

I have been thinking vampire counts coven throne but won't get to field it till much later down the track. There's also the ogre stone horn or even a high elf dragon.

Ograr
30-06-2014, 15:40
Daemons of Chaos with a Forgeworld Greater Daemon would be my suggestion. Large and they look great!

Tae
30-06-2014, 15:47
I think if you're worried about using it early on so shy away from points similar to coven throne you won't find many options. But for similarish points you could get:
Orc & Goblin Arachnarok
Wood Elf Treeman
High/Dark Elf dragon or manticore/Phoenix
Vampires you could go Terrorgheist

Etc

beerbeard
30-06-2014, 16:14
The High Elf Phoenix is a beautiful model, and the options for painting are endless. And of course, the Elf Prince on the Dragon. They have the advantage of not being held to a particular color scheme without looking dumb.

Also, the Phoenix happens to be one of the game's best units and is playable at 1K points.

boli
30-06-2014, 16:26
If you are willing to go non-GW models a High Elf Lord on a dragon is the way forwards; who cares if it is on a 500mmx500mm base and the rider looks ludicrously small; its one hell of a centrepiece :)

Ramius4
30-06-2014, 16:50
If you are willing to go non-GW models a High Elf Lord on a dragon is the way forwards; who cares if it is on a 500mmx500mm base *snip*!

500mm x 500mm?!? Are you basing an actual person in a dragon-suit? :p

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
30-06-2014, 16:55
Coven throne is okay on a BSB hero vampire, with enchanted shield+talisman of preservation/dawnstone. With Red Fury, lance, and the bound spell off the throne he hits almost as hard as a vampire lord, and you have to kill the whole thing to get the points.

...all 500 points of it, that is. Which is as much as a unit of 35 GG with FC and Banner of the Barrows. Or two terrorgheists. So...yeah....

If you want a centrepiece model you're better off going for a big gribbly that's actually halfway decent on its own. A terrorgheist, say, or a frost heart phoenix. Stone Horns are pretty awesome as well. Warriors and Demons both have lots of big monsters that you can do well with. Dark Elves have the Cauldron. Skaven have the Furnace (the bell is *****). Really depends what you're feeling.

SpanielBear
30-06-2014, 18:14
If your heart is set on vampire counts, I'd say go with what you love the look of. Worry about points and effectiveness later.

But if you are considering other armies, I'll throw Tomb Kings into the mix. Lots of big constructs, various monstrous cavalry/chariots and so forth, it could look really impressive. It's all down to your taste really.

Epicene
30-06-2014, 18:40
If you're going for Vampire Counts - choose your General carefully and either pick a really lovely model or convert it. I'm more of a painter than a gamer too and the general should *always* be the centrepiece (imo).

Krell would be a good choice as hes not too expensive, looks great and can be used in a smaller army. You can upgrade later as you get more of a feel for the army.

ourz
30-06-2014, 19:52
I see no one has mentioned Azhag the Slaughterer, and personally I think that is a really great model. Rules wise you may also use him as a regular Orc on a wyvern, and so may play him in 1100+ pts games.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
30-06-2014, 21:28
If your heart is set on vampire counts, I'd say go with what you love the look of. Worry about points and effectiveness later.

But if you are considering other armies, I'll throw Tomb Kings into the mix. Lots of big constructs, various monstrous cavalry/chariots and so forth, it could look really impressive. It's all down to your taste really.

Tomb Kings are an army that I will never recommend to anybody. Unless you've played enough WHFB to know what you're getting into, it's just a recipe for frustration. TK are not an army for the faint of heart, and there's just so many unwritten rules in that book of what does and doesn't work together that it's really hard for a new player to get into.

SpanielBear
01-07-2014, 01:38
Tomb Kings are an army that I will never recommend to anybody. Unless you've played enough WHFB to know what you're getting into, it's just a recipe for frustration. TK are not an army for the faint of heart, and there's just so many unwritten rules in that book of what does and doesn't work together that it's really hard for a new player to get into.

Well, DeaNos said he/she is more of a painter than a gamer, and is after fun centre-pieces. I agree Tomb Kings is Warhammer on hard mode, but they have some very, very nice kits. If what you're after is an army that looks good and carries a theme, rather than a simple beat-stick, they fit the bill quite nicely. No reason to pretend they don't even exist. :)

Sanai
01-07-2014, 03:33
If you want something you can use at a reasonable points value avoid the big Lord/Hero mounts (zombie dragon, coven throne). Instead go for Rare choices, like Mortis Engines, Terrorgheists, etc- that way they fit in a list much easier (because they aren't crowded out by the lord you mount on them!)

boli
01-07-2014, 16:27

There are some *fantastic* dragons out there :) imagine using this in in a game with a tiny High Elf Prince on the back! :P

http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_80&products_id=260

Ramius4
01-07-2014, 16:43
imagine using this in in a game with a tiny High Elf Prince on the back! :P

http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_80&products_id=260

For that price, it should literally fly around the table, eating my opponent's miniatures and smashing them to bits. Oh, and breathe actual fire. ;)

Urgat
01-07-2014, 17:24
Pah. You want big?
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/kaladrax/latest/77192
And it's incredibly cheap if you take the size into account.

Captain Collius
01-07-2014, 17:28
Yes what of it! :)

DeaNos
01-07-2014, 23:42
Thanks all. Still haven't made up my mind unfortunately haha.

Tomb kings are a no go my mate is already playing them and to be honest not a real fan.

I have narrowed it down to dark elves, vampires and ogres.

All of them have great rare choices and centre pieces and awesome heroes. I really like the thunder tusk and stone horn for the ogres and is why I still deciding because I really like the idea of a general or hero mounted which ogres don't do. Unfortunately I don't have the dark elves army book to look at points and combat potential but love the dredge lord on dragon and am leaning towards them for the hydra as a rare and The Lord on dragon.

Alojolo
01-07-2014, 23:56
leaning towards them for the hydra as a rare and The Lord on dragon.

The Hydra is a special choice. The Kharibdyss is rare though.

Sexiest_hero
02-07-2014, 02:29
Ogre hunters can be mounted but the are a hard counter to TK so don't do that to your buddy, go Vampires.

Abaraxas
02-07-2014, 02:56
Since you asked, I'll chuck one in from left field and suggest getting the Marauder Karl Franz on Deathclaw Griffon from ebay.

Captain Collius
02-07-2014, 02:58
Ogre hunters can be mounted but the are a hard counter to TK so don't do that to your buddy, go Vampires.

Vampire lord on dragon or ghoul king on terrorgheist both look cool and can be awesome centerpieces! However one is much more optimal in terms of usefulness.

ashe
02-07-2014, 04:09
All 3 peaces share the same weakness they are going to get shot to peaces by cannons. Personally i would say go high elf, they are GWs poster boys and have one of the best and most enjoyable ranges of miniatures for collectors/painters. Both the VC and OK are kinda boring to paint and no ware near as strong as the HE on the gaming board. The other pro for choosing HE is the simple fact they are always one of the first armies that get new stuff every edition. :D

dooms33ker
02-07-2014, 05:09
You can go with Chaos Dwarfs and convert your own K'daai Destroyer (large molten monster) out of pretty much any suitable kit you like. Incidentally, I used a Stonehorn as a base for my own personal K'daai destroyer, and it has the privilege of being not only a gorgeous monster, but also one of the most useful ones on the battlefield. It also doesn't hurt that the rest of the army allows for some very diverse models and colors, i.e. armored dwarfs, greenskins, massive bull centaurs, burning K'daai. The only downside with this project is that it's quite expensive.

Alternatively, Skaven, though a bit daunting to paint at large points values, also have potential for varying paint schemes and wonderful centerpieces in the form of the Screaming Bell and Plague Furnace.

DeaNos
02-07-2014, 10:54
Well thank you everyone but I have gone for vampire counts after figuring out I can field a coven throne in 1500 points. Also the rest of the army will be easy to paint core wise and I will have some fun with the rest of the army.

I do have some questions about the coven throne and that's if the 5+ and the 4++ applies to the vampire or just the coven throne spirit horde and maidens?

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
02-07-2014, 15:33
I do have some questions about the coven throne and that's if the 5+ and the 4++ applies to the vampire or just the coven throne spirit horde and maidens?

Coven Throne is 5+4++ on its own, which doesn't apply to the rider. Cannons will also hit both mount and rider simultaneously, and roll to wound/multiwound separately. It is possible to kill both with a single cannon shot (which is why people typically mount their Vampire Lord on it).

That said, on a hero vampire it's...not the worst thing ever. Comes in at around 500 points, and your opponent has to kill BOTH mount AND rider to get points out of you.

DeaNos
02-07-2014, 22:31
So if my opponent kills the throne does the vamp become on foot?

ashe
02-07-2014, 23:01
lol the chance of the vamp making it after a cannon shoot is lower than the thrones, but if he survives he goes on foot.

PlasticSwap.Com
02-07-2014, 23:36
Don't forget about a carnosaur, they are great looking models and are really fun to paint.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
02-07-2014, 23:41
So if my opponent kills the throne does the vamp become on foot?

Yes. However the throne has more wounds, so is more likely to survive.

This is why people put it on a hero vampire instead of the general. If your general eats a cannonball to the face your whole army crumbles. If your BSB eats a cannonball then you just lose the rerolls that your army doesn't care about anyways, and they have to kill the whole damned throne before they get the extra 100 BSB vps out of you.

Terrorgheists have crappier saves and are more dangerous, so people also tend to target those instead. Even moreso if you put them in front to screen the CT.

Phoenix1986
03-07-2014, 05:44
Go Empire and Karl Franz, there isn't a more Warhammer centrepiece
Sent from my RM-875_apac_australia_new_zealand_243 using Tapatalk