PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Idea

leopard
30-06-2014, 19:02
Random thought, from the balance thread.

What if an event permitted you to submit two separate army lists? not required but permitted. Lists to be from separate books and no more than one from the forces of Light, Neutrality or Destruction.

Before each game see what you and the opponent have, if they have darkness only, you run light or neutral and you get the idea, if you both have two forces then the one who has used one the most uses the other one, if a draw toss a coin or dice for it - highest getting the 'lightest' force (so no choosing, the dice decides).

Avoids mucking about with sideboards etc, but allows you to build say an Ork force knowing that if you also bring a neutral or light force that the orks will not face a force of destruction.

Thinking as a way to provide a way to manage some of the bad matchups some armies have.

Obvious downside is needing to bring two complete armies (unless you get clever and have vampires who can also run as a fallen Bretonnian list I guess), but if its optional its a chance to showcase more models.

Just a random thought.

Epicene
30-06-2014, 20:52
That would involve me buying two armies and whilst I do own two - they're both from the Light side. I really couldn't afford to buy a third.

Katastrophe
30-06-2014, 21:10

What if an event permitted you to submit two separate army lists? not required but permitted. Lists to be from separate books and no more than one from the forces of Light, Neutrality or Destruction.

Before each game see what you and the opponent have, if they have darkness only, you run light or neutral and you get the idea, if you both have two forces then the one who has used one the most uses the other one, if a draw toss a coin or dice for it - highest getting the 'lightest' force (so no choosing, the dice decides).

I can't imagine how this would be fun. And I am not sure what abuse, if any, it would eliminate. I would rather just allow people to have a side board, maybe up to 40% of the army with swappable units, characters, etc. - you'd know what army you were facing and can deal accordingly.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
30-06-2014, 21:58
Oh man, a side board would be amazing. Mine would be two terrorgheists, swappable for two big bricks of crypt horrors.

Tae
30-06-2014, 22:46

Avoids mucking about with sideboards etc, but allows you to build say an Ork force knowing that if you also bring a neutral or light force that the orks will not face a force of destruction.

Thinking as a way to provide a way to manage some of the bad matchups some armies have.

Obvious downside is needing to bring two complete armies (unless you get clever and have vampires who can also run as a fallen Bretonnian list I guess), but if its optional its a chance to showcase more models.

Just a random thought.

The whole point of rock-paper-scissors is that armies have bad match ups. Allowing rock to change to scissors will mean paper wanting to change to rock.

You're not eliminating bad match ups, you're finding a new way to decide them.

leopard
01-07-2014, 18:26
Tape this one to a lead balloon and chuck it to the goblins then.

:-)

tneva82
01-07-2014, 19:03
Sideboards I like and once we have enough models to actually have meaningful sideboards we are going to implement those in our 40k games. Don't see why it wouldn't work in FB as well.

We do it so that the player deploying first/going first chooses his sideboard first. This way 2nd going player gets bit more help to counter first turn issue as well as a slight bonus.

leopard
01-07-2014, 19:16
Sideboards I have heard a fair bit about, the idea is ok, but some armies have the variations to pull it off much better than others.

Was just thinking of parallels from other games, my Orcs would probably look different if I knew they would only be facing armies of light or neutral, ditto my Bretonnians if they would only face forces of darkness or neutral.

Other way perhaps, you take the same book, but in place of sideboards can just have different lists - nominate which you will use against each faction ahead of the day (before you see what people have actually brought) maybe.

Mind you, with sideboards I guess your 'comp' can be adapted to allow different books to have different sizes of sideboard and perhaps an extra one?

HurrDurr
03-07-2014, 20:07
I thought you were going to say you create 2 army lists and roll to see which one you play, or you and your opponent both reveal your 2 options but pick in secret then reveal after both choose. Sideboarding sounds fun and interesting but dangerous.

StygianBeach
03-07-2014, 20:16
I have thought about sideboards, but I really think they are unpractical.

What I thought would be better would be Army or General special abilities/events which get chosen after deployment.

For example, no flying for 1 Game turn. Or No Warmachine shooting for 1 Game turn.