PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Tomb kings

Beattie
01-07-2014, 12:28
Hi

Im new to tomb kings and not sure where to start with the army currently I'm aiming for 1000 points and have
1 Lyche priest
1 Mounted priest
1 Prince/king sword and shield
25 Tomb guard sword and shield
32 Skelie warriors sword and shield (full command)
20 archers
5 Chariots
1 catapult
1 Scorpion

any help would be great

jtrowell
01-07-2014, 12:52
The casket is an easy choice, especially if you field 2 priests.

The sphinx kit is also very good, i you must buy only one they make a warsphinx with it. The necrosphinx upper body part can them be converted into a Hierotitan (or colossus) provided you find something to use for his legs.

Here is my unfinished conversion to give you an idea (I plan to cover the lower part in sand to give the impression of something like living sand)

Others have sculted their own legs, reused legs from toy soldiers, or used things like a Tyranid tail instead.

With this, the sphinx kit would give you :
- 1 full warsphinx with tomb guards
- 1 tomb king on foot with great weapon/halberd (easily converted with another weapon)
- the base for a hierotitan

Beattie
01-07-2014, 13:47
Love the conversion such a great idea my only question would be is a warsphinx worth using? I do like the casket and can see myself picking one up soon.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
02-07-2014, 17:36
1) You need more Tomb Guard. 25 isn't enough, as you'll lose half that number before they get to strike (I3 is crap), won't have enough attacks back to generate the CR to off-set that, and the rest will evaporate to crumble. You need at least 35.

If you do buy them, I would suggest putting halberds on them (if your front rank is halberds, most will accept the unit as being all halberds). S5+razor standard can punch through a unit like skullcrushers, where few other options in our army would be able to.

2) Needs a casket. Casket is a huge force multiplier for us. It helps our magic, helps against armour, and gives us the ranged advantage that our slow-as-***** troops so desperately need.

3) Get some snakes. Snake knights are awesome. Especially if you put Ramhotep in that unit of tomb guard and don't run any other constructs.

4) Skeleton warriors need to be at least 50 models if run with a prince. I usually run 60. The purpose of that unit is to pin something in place, and grind it out, and it's tough to do that with fewer than 60 models (in horde formation).

5) I'm of the opinion that you need two scorpions or none. On their own they just don't have enough attacks to do anything, and blow up to SCR.

6) Needs another foot-mounted priest. TK almost always need two wizards. I usually run two level 4s at least, if not two level 4s and two level 1s for a light council. The mix you use is up to you.

Elyeva
07-07-2014, 20:19
Well, a Warsphinx is quite good in low points. Quite a lot of S5 attacks and of course T8 will create a serious threat.

About a casket: take one! I converted one from just movement trays, some skeleton warrior and high elf bits, saves you a lot of money. When you take a casket in 1000 pts, forget about the second mage and bring more bodies on the field. (my opinion) In more points you should bring definitely two mages.

And Necropolis Knights are one of our strongest units. They have 5 kb or poisoned attacks each.

And the most inportant question is: Where and how do you protect your hierophant?

Beattie
08-07-2014, 12:50
Thanks for all the advise guys def going for a casket or 2 and a warsphinx

GabrielSantar229
08-07-2014, 15:37
So looking at your list you need a couple of things. 1st You need more Tomb guard, preferrably armed with halberds. Stick a tomb prince in their try and minimise crumble damage. 2nd You need a casket, it's a must have. Thonly thing TK are better at than other armies is magic so you need to dominate the magic phase. 3rd you either need to expand that unit of Skellie warriors or drop them all together and reppace them with archers. Hope I've helped!

Folomo
09-07-2014, 15:26
Not a fan of TG on such small games. Too many points for a functional unit.

I would recommend a liche priest, an archer bunker, chariots, NK and a casket for this level of game.

Dragon11
12-07-2014, 21:21
130- archers + champion
235- high liche with dispel scroll
104- prince with GW
190- 3 chariots with BoEF
350- 25 tomb guard with halaberds
~999

Dragon11
12-07-2014, 21:22
^this is just based on what beattie already has

Beattie
16-07-2014, 12:25
Cool Thanks guys all the advise really helped I think I have something ready for 1k and only need 1 model

Liche high priest lvl 3 - earthing rod

Liche priest lvl 2 - steed

20 x archers

30 x warriors

3 x chariots

casket of souls

screaming skull catapult

Id love to fit a prince in but just cant afford it till 1250.

ewar
16-07-2014, 13:26
Hey,

Welcome to Tomb Kings! We're challenging, but rewarding!

As to your 1k list - honestly 5 levels of magic and a casket is way too much at such a low points level. You only have 2 fighting units (which aren't terribly tough) so most armies will munch through your combats quite quickly.

My advice would be to swap the HLP for a Warsphinx. If you only want to use the models you currently have, then take a unit of 20 Tomb Guard and squeeze the points from the archers. Also, drop the mount on your Priest until you have a horse unit to bunker him in, otherwise he can be sniped quite easily (not great if he's your hierophant!).

Good luck though - just remember that all TK generals get a complete beating the first 5-10 games, it's part of the fun!

Beattie
18-07-2014, 08:37
Thanks guys I dont expect to win much my first few games but I want to keep it close. Here's a revised list

Liche priest lvl 2
Tomb prince great weapon dragon helm

20 x archers
3 x charriots standard bearer Banner of eternal flame
30 x warriors - standard
20 x tomb guard - standard champ (prince here)

screaming skull catapult

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
19-07-2014, 00:53
Cool Thanks guys all the advise really helped I think I have something ready for 1k and only need 1 model

Liche high priest lvl 3 - earthing rod

Liche priest lvl 2 - steed

20 x archers

30 x warriors

3 x chariots

casket of souls

screaming skull catapult

Id love to fit a prince in but just cant afford it till 1250.
Drop the earthening rod: its just a safety blanket. Doesn't help much when you do miscast, as any result ends your magic phase. Better to take something to help you cast on fewer dice...like level 4

Drop the level 2. You've got too many wizard levels and nothing to use them on. Use the points to put a prince in those skeletons with a GW

Drop the catapult and take something that can kill stuff. Like 4 snakes. Id drop the chariots to afford this.

Beattie
21-07-2014, 08:24
PirateRobotNinjaofDeath (http://www.warseer.com/forums/member.php?41679-PirateRobotNinjaofDeath) posted revised list above

Liche priest lvl 2
Tomb prince great weapon dragon helm

20 x archers
3 x chariots - standard bearer - Banner of eternal flame
30 x warriors - standard
20 x tomb guard - standard champ (prince here)

screaming skull catapult

Any better? (trying to not buy anything extra yet so these are the models i have)

baransiege
22-07-2014, 15:51
Looking better for sure. With the archers I tend to take the attitude go big or don't bother. 20 archers is still going to be quite ineffectual, I would say reduce their number to get those warriors up to 40. And if their only purpose is to shield the priest and you're playing low point games like this sometimes I just take normal skeletons as they are cheaper and have a better armour save versus enemy shooting.

What armies are you likely to come up against? The Tomb Guard are kind of wasted if most your enemies are horde armies or monstrous like Ogres. The catapult can also be temperamental in terms of accuracy, which for such a points investment for this size game, can be a real blow in effectiveness when it does nothing. You also don't have the manpower to keep it protected from enemy flanking troops.

I would say drop the TG and catapult and invest in Necro Knights, as these guys have a mix of killing blow and poison so are adaptable to both monstrous and human sized enemies, and a couple of bases of Tomb Swarms. The Tomb Swarms don't get a lot of love on the internet but (1) you can make them from leftover bits of the kits and (2) I've had pretty good success popping them up behind enemy lines to deal with enemy war machines/tie up archers. Unlike Scorpions the Swarms can't be cannoned off easily and with poisoned attacks I've also had some success using them to knock a wound or two off enemy monsters.

Beattie
23-07-2014, 08:20
Hi

Im playing in an escalation tournament at the moment so I need to keep the same list while developing it, i've come in late and missed to 500 point game so no real experience with my TK yet but stuck with the starting list. so far I know all but bretonians are there maybe empire aswell so im thinking I need to cover everything whilst trying not to spend a fortune. With that in mind I think this should be enough to take on anyone.

Liche lvl2

20 archers (will be more when we go to 1250)
3 Chariots (banner of eternal flame)
30 warriors ( champ, standard) tarpit

3 Knights
3 tomb swarms

casket of souls

What do you think? nice and rounded? comes to 1000points exact.

Thanks again for all the help

ewar
23-07-2014, 13:35
Looks fine, but I'm not sold on swarms. They don't do anything that something else doesn't do better. If you're adding models I would put them way, way down the list and get a tomb scorpion instead.

As per the errata, you no longer have to entomb them, so can deploy it normally. It makes a good flank protector with M7 swiftstride, it's one of the faster things in our book. I use mine to go after scouting shades, doomfire warlocks etc that harass you on the flanks. It's generally tough enough to win out in those match ups. If you come up against a cannon toting list you can entomb him to do some warmachine hunting.

Beattie
25-07-2014, 12:17
I might try both and see which works best for me my biggest fear just now is the dark elves, he plays alot of bolt throwers combined with powerful fast units