PDA

View Full Version : I know this has been asked a thousand times, but I need some advice.

Ddraiglais
02-07-2014, 21:32
I am a 40K player. My girlfriend likes fantasy a lot more than sci-fi. I've always liked fantasy more too, but my friends all played 40K. I have looked at WFB before, but I am a bit more serious about it now. I have always liked WoC, Beastmen, TK, DE, and maybe VC for their models. I see that Beasts are not that good of an army. When I looked at WFB before, TK were the army everyone complained about. I am not a huge powergamer, but I do like to win. So any advice on which armies are more effective? I am probably leaning towards TK, WoC, and DE in that order as far as models go. It would most likely be WoC, DE, and TK as far as fluff goes. If FW still sold that mammoth, then I wouldn't even be asking this question. I'd be starting WoC. LOL My girlfriend is leaning towards WEs. That seems to be a hit against TKs as I don't see how WEs would be out in the desert fighting against TKs that often. LOL

Ddraiglais
02-07-2014, 21:38
Oh, and as an FYI, I love cavalry. I especially love mounted archers. If anyone knows of any rumors of Kislev coming back, then they would definitely make the top of my list. If not, I still like cavalry units so which of those have some nice cavalry?

moonlapse
02-07-2014, 21:45
WoC are generally considered to be the strongest army, on the whole. DE, if not quite on par, sit happily somewhere near the top, possibly in 2nd place. TK are right near the bottom at the moment. VC are somewhere in the upper-middle - probably the most 'balanced' army out of those mentioned. Bear in mind that these are massive generalisations (pun intended), and that just because TK are considered weaker doesn't mean they can't be competitive in the right hands / with the right build. They just don't work as well as the other mentioned ones, often require more finesse and/or luck, and a mistake can cost you the game (whereas with WoC, a mistake doesn't even always cost you a single model). I wouldn't worry about whether WE would realistically be fighting TK, I don't think that really matters, unless you're intending to do loads of themed campaigns, but even then you can always come up with reasons. As always, the most important thing is which models you prefer, in my opinion, but disregarding that, then WoC or DE are the 'safe bets'. It sounds like you want WoC anyway though, from what you've said. I reckon they're one of the most 'future-proof' armies as well - a huge range of models, and they've historically always been the best army in combat, with stats and skills to reflect this. Conversely, it's not that hard to imagine a new edition screwing over DE or TK, whereas WoC are likely to be more resilient to changes due to the sheer raw power of their basic stats.

Regarding cavalry, all three armies can do cavalry themed / cavalry heavy lists. TK cavalry sucks, though they can have semi-decent chariots in core. Apart from that it's just rubbish light cavalry. DE have some amazing cavalry - nimble fast cavalry, lizard-riding Knights who are heavily armoured and brilliant in combat, and also sorcerers on dark steeds who are considered one of the strongest units in the game point-for-point. WoC take the cake when it comes to cavalry, though. Their basic knights are very strong and tough, and can also ride giant Juggernaught steeds instead, making them the most elite cavalry in the game. Plus they can take very tough chariots in core and special, and their generals can ride a variety of very powerful steeds.

Knifeparty
02-07-2014, 21:46
As far as competitiveness goes, WoC and DE are pretty much near the top, if not at the top in some instances. TK and Beastmen are pretty near the bottom, although that doesn't mean they don't work, it just takes a bit more effort.

TK are really tough for a new player to get a hang of, no one can march, you rely heavily on magic (which is unreliable) and your army starts to crumble if you start losing combat or your general. That being said I have a friend who took 1st at a large tournament against very strong armies with TK.

Beastmen aren't actually bad (except their monsters), they have some of the most cost efficient infantry in the game in the form of gors and bestigors. The problem is that they are a very 1 dimentional army right now. You move forward with huge blocks of infantry and hit combat, not really much more to it. They also have good magic too. They have the absolute worst monsters in the game, like absurdly costed pieces of **** bad. I wouldn't take these monsters if they knocked 100 points off of them.

VC suffer from a lot of the problems that TK do, but they have a lot more options and can compete on a much higher level due to absurdly killy vampire heroes and terrorgiests.

WoC are a very competitive army right now. You can pretty much take anything and be reasonably competitive with them. Other things like Daemon Princes and Skullcrushers take the competitiveness to the next level. Everything in the army is extremely hard to take down, they are fast, killy and very heavily armoured.

DE are also quite competitive and also my first and favourite army. They are a great army for all skill levels, they can play and excel at every facet of the game. They are fast, hard hitting, shooty, and good with magic. The only real downside is that they are a glass cannon, even more so now than last edition. The great part about these guys is that you can take pretty much anything in the book and remain pretty competitive and have a nice theme, especially with the beautiful new models that just came out.

My advice would be to choose the army that appeals to you the most both aesthetically and play style wise. I play DE, WoC, VC and I've been thinking about picking up Beastmen some time in the future as well.

Spiney Norman
02-07-2014, 21:46
Warriors of chaos currently top the charts in terms of army power. They're probably the only warhammer army that you can really break at the moment. Dark elves are solidly competitive, Tomb Kings are close to bottom of the stack (but bear in mind the stack isn't particularly broad, so they can still win, they just take a lot of practice).

Personally I would say go with dark elves, the models are gorgeous and your games will still be interesting, and most importantly it won't lose you friends. In terms of army match ups with wood elves, warriors of chaos are one of the worst match ups you could take, judge how your relationship would stand up to you constantly crushing your GF's army in every single game you play together.

DE vs WE would probably be quite an even match up, mostly because the two armies are very similar, but on the other hand the constant mind-games of trying to out-sneaky each other might wear a bit thin after a while.

Tomb Kings vs WE (whilst somewhat unlikely in terms of the background) might be a more interesting option to pursue, both armies have advantages over the other and have very different play styles. For me, this is probably what I would go for, but be warned that both these armies have a pretty steep learning curve (though if your gf is going to be your only opponent for the most part, that shouldn't matter too much).

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
02-07-2014, 22:33
Warriors of Chaos are the "plug-and-play" of WHFB armies. They're fast, hitty, durable, and very easy to win games with. They also have a low model count, making them good for new entries to the field.

That said they're quite mono-dimensional, and boring to play against. The "Netlist" build is also obnoxious, and until you've learned to fight against it can seem very overwhelming.

Dark Elves are also a very strong army, depending on the build you use. They're more fragile and thus require a bit more finesse, but they're still a very strong contender.

Tomb Kings (though I love them and collect them myself), have a lot of issues and are low on the power curve. Certain builds are strong against certain opponents, but the book has holes you could drive a truck through and it's very hard to build a good all-comers list with them. Beastmen suffer from the same issue. When you know your opponents it's easy to tailor a list that can be effective, but when you're playing pickup games against randoms (or tournaments) you're rolling the dice that you won't face anybody your particular list hasn't prepared for.

As for wood elves, they're a tricky gambit. They are EXTREMELY strong in the hands of a skilled player. However, they require the player to deftly maneuver around their opponent, as Wood Elves can't stand up in a fight against most anybody.

If you will be playing mostly against your girlfriend's elves, I would strongly suggest that you avoid WoC or TK. Both will make for a game that's not very fun for you. Elves have the maneuverability to make it a better match.

Alltaken
03-07-2014, 00:22
You will a board appropiate ti the point size game with WE as far as my experience goes, you need the space to manuvere 2k up

kurisawa
03-07-2014, 00:59
Hey, Ddraiglais,

Moonlapse et al have already given good answers. WoC look like a good bet for you.

I'll just add that once you get over the powergaming urge and go for a more balanced gaming style with your gf, the "power level" of different armybooks becomes irrelevant. By mutually agreeing to not pick the obvious superpowered netlists, every army becomes a viable choice with a good chance of winning a fight. Note that shying away from those obvious min-maxed lists does not mean playing any less hard or with any less emphasis on tactical skills in-game.

So, if TK are your first choice based on models/fluff they could well be your best bet in the long run. As others have said, power-levels at the ultimate super-netlist edge can (and do) and most probably will change as new armybooks and editions get released over time. I remember when DE and Daemons were considered so weak as to be almost unplayable at the uber-competitive level (beginning of 6th Ed). Look at them now! The moral is: You will spend an awful long time (and lots of money) with your beloved models, so it's better to pick the ones you instinctively like the feel of, rather than just considering the current ranking.

As for background stories involving TK vs WE battles, I have an idea for you: Heinrich Kemmler is an ongoing enemy of the WE, with a burning desire to take over Athel Loren. Though VC look obvious for this match up, he is also referred to as the "Lichemaster", has connections with ancient Nagash and Khemri, and raises lots of ancient warriors from the cairns around the Wild Heaths. With the right paint job, TK can be used to represent these ancient era warriors (like ancient Celts?) with their chariots etc. A bit of a green and muddy colour scheme? And a High Liche Priest or whatever it's called in the new TK armybook can be represented with the Kemmler model. Use a Tomb King as Krell!

Hope this helps!

K.

Ullis
03-07-2014, 02:09
I am a 40K player. My girlfriend likes fantasy a lot more than sci-fi. I've always liked fantasy more too, but my friends all played 40K. I have looked at WFB before, but I am a bit more serious about it now. I have always liked WoC, Beastmen, TK, DE, and maybe VC for their models. I see that Beasts are not that good of an army. When I looked at WFB before, TK were the army everyone complained about. I am not a huge powergamer, but I do like to win. So any advice on which armies are more effective? I am probably leaning towards TK, WoC, and DE in that order as far as models go. It would most likely be WoC, DE, and TK as far as fluff goes. If FW still sold that mammoth, then I wouldn't even be asking this question. I'd be starting WoC. LOL My girlfriend is leaning towards WEs. That seems to be a hit against TKs as I don't see how WEs would be out in the desert fighting against TKs that often. LOL

Warriors of Chaos are a lot more flexible than some would have you believe, but folks tend to just take the "netlist" which leads to this notion of them being one-dimensional. They are very powerful and frequently place well at grand tournaments, but this is generally while using the Daemon Prince, two Chimera, Skullcrusher list.

My advice is to pick an army that you most like the aesthetic, lore and playstyle of, and not to worry too much about there competitiveness. Every army has got viable builds, and unless you are planning on taking part in hyper-competitive tournaments you will have a chance of winning with any book.

NemoSD
03-07-2014, 02:21
You have two questions here, one which has been answered, and the other you don't even seem to be aware you have asked.

I am a 40K player. My girlfriend likes fantasy a lot more than sci-fi.

This tells me you want her to get involved. So, you need to not only consider a good army that you like, but one that would not just steam roll whatever she picks. WoC, depending on how you build the list, has a lot of steam roll in there. What army does she show an interest in? If it is High Elves, then Dark Elves could be a fun one to pick because the feuding nature of the two races, which can make the game more interesting for the two of you.

If you are getting into fantasy to try and get her to play games with you, make it a couples project. Work together to get it started. The worse case scenario is she is not really into it, (Don't push her if she isn't, that is a great way to drive her away.) and you have two armies.

(Also if you like big mammoth like beasts, Ogre Kingdoms have a pair of wonderful mammoth like beasts to pull from.)

thesoundofmusica
03-07-2014, 05:57
When people say Beastmen suck they are assuming a certain meta and all-comers environment. If you will only be playing in a small group with limited armies and likely list tailoring to spice things up there is absolutely no reason to not play Beastmen if you like them aesthetically. Unless of course this small group is composed of nothing but flying monsters, then you might find Beastmen frustrating over time.
Also I find Beastmen lacking in options throughout the armybook but not so much that you cannot make a fun 3k list.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
03-07-2014, 06:34
Warriors of Chaos are a lot more flexible than some would have you believe, but folks tend to just take the "netlist" which leads to this notion of them being one-dimensional. They are very powerful and frequently place well at grand tournaments, but this is generally while using the Daemon Prince, two Chimera, Skullcrusher list.

My advice is to pick an army that you most like the aesthetic, lore and playstyle of, and not to worry too much about there competitiveness. Every army has got viable builds, and unless you are planning on taking part in hyper-competitive tournaments you will have a chance of winning with any book.

They're one-dimensional because the army is just "run forward and smash". No shooting, minimal magic, all combat all the time. You can build chaos armies that LOOK different, but it will still play exactly the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
03-07-2014, 06:36
When people say Beastmen suck they are assuming a certain meta and all-comers environment. If you will only be playing in a small group with limited armies and likely list tailoring to spice things up there is absolutely no reason to not play Beastmen if you like them aesthetically. Unless of course this small group is composed of nothing but flying monsters, then you might find Beastmen frustrating over time.
Also I find Beastmen lacking in options throughout the armybook but not so much that you cannot make a fun 3k list.

You say this, but I tried the same with my tomb kings and found that eventually your friends harden their armies against your bag of tricks, and there's really note much more to reach in there for once they do. You can build a beast men list that's mean, but once your friends figure put how to beat it you'll struggle to adapt and change.

Urgat
03-07-2014, 07:08
LOL My girlfriend is leaning towards WEs.

Like all girlfriends :p
Make sure she really wants to play WFB. My gf also lives fanatsy, she also displayed an genuine interest for WFB's background and imagery, so I thought "bingo" and tried to introduce her to the gaming aspect of it. A single test battle and 5 years later, she hasn't touched the dryads she'd bought back then. So make reeeeally sure she doesn't say "yeah I'll try it" just to please you, because in the long term it'll just be wasted time if it's the case.

NemoSD
03-07-2014, 07:30
Like all girlfriends :p
Make sure she really wants to play WFB. My gf also lives fanatsy, she also displayed an genuine interest for WFB's background and imagery, so I thought "bingo" and tried to introduce her to the gaming aspect of it. A single test battle and 5 years later, she hasn't touched the dryads she'd bought back then. So make reeeeally sure she doesn't say "yeah I'll try it" just to please you, because in the long term it'll just be wasted time if it's the case.

Like I said, worse case scenario you get another army. This is exactly why I have a Brettonian Army :-p

thesoundofmusica
03-07-2014, 07:35
You say this, but I tried the same with my tomb kings and found that eventually your friends harden their armies against your bag of tricks, and there's really note much more to reach in there for once they do. You can build a beast men list that's mean, but once your friends figure put how to beat it you'll struggle to adapt and change.

I did say that if the meta will be for example killy fliers, I see Beastmen having a rough time. But apart from a few real weaknesses (which keeps them from being a popular tournament army) I dont see why he wouldnt do reasonably well with Beastmen. By the sound of it he's trying to get his girlfriend to play so I doubt the WAAC mentality will come too much into play, but could be wrong of course.

The internet screaming "Beastmen suck" just out of context is why generally newbies dont pick up Beastmen which is a shame I think. Not everyone plays all-comers, tournament style warhammer or even face all the armies out there and then picking your army based on the cries of tournament goers seems stupid quite frankly.

Ddraiglais
03-07-2014, 08:23
Wow! A lot of good advice guys. Thanks!

I will most likely play at stores and against friends as well. Since I am a beginner at WFB, I am thinking that TK or Beastmen might have too much of a learning curve to be a first army. I was thinking about Beastmen for possible double duty as mutants/cultists in my Iron Warriors army. Of course WoC could have an advantage of sharing bitz there as well. I am not afraid of a glass hammer army. In addition to my Iron Warriors, Legio Mortis/Dark Mechanicus, and traitor guard armies in 40K; I also play Eldar. They are fairly glass hammerish (though not like Dark Eldar) in 40K. So Dark Elves would not be out of the question.

I guess from your responses I am going to look more into Dark Elves and WoC. I like the looks of both of them. WoC probably fit me better and there is the bitz bonus. On the other hand, Dark Elves might edge out WoC in the looks department, especially if I consider GameZones' minis. Chances are if I like WFB I will end up with both of those and a TK army at some point. Again, thanks for all of the advice.

DeathlessDraich
03-07-2014, 08:56
Oh, and as an FYI, I love cavalry. I especially love mounted archers. If anyone knows of any rumors of Kislev coming back, then they would definitely make the top of my list. If not, I still like cavalry units so which of those have some nice cavalry?

In that case forget WOC,TK and DE.
Bretonnians is the army for you.

Contrary to what some players may think, Brets are competitive. As usual it is a matter of forming the right army lists.

You need:
1) about 50 Knight Errants/Realm.
2) A trebuchet or 2
3) 1 Paladin, 1 Lord and 2 Damsels - all mounted
4) 9-12 Questing Knights

Josfer
03-07-2014, 09:41
What?
You can build really cool lists of mostly cav with WoC...

DeathlessDraich
03-07-2014, 11:14
What?
You can build really cool lists of mostly cav with WoC...

Very true and you could have a very good/competitive all-cavalry list with Empire as well.
The infantry choices however are the common competitive options for WOC.:)

Josfer
03-07-2014, 12:22
a) no (as long as you don't count flyers as infantry)
b) what does this matter if he wants to play with his girlfriend? He asked who has good cavalry, not wanted to copy the most common competitive list...

PlasticSwap.Com
03-07-2014, 16:48
From your first post DE are what you want.
Power scale is towards the top
Multiple mounted ranged units
Interesting monsters

If your GF goes with WE (which is what my wife likes as well) you both will be playing the same basic unit type (elves). This is good in terms of learning the game but bad in terms of learning other armies.

Ddraiglais
03-07-2014, 18:49
Bretonnians is the army for you.

Contrary to what some players may think, Brets are competitive. As usual it is a matter of forming the right army lists.

You need:
1) about 50 Knight Errants/Realm.
2) A trebuchet or 2
3) 1 Paladin, 1 Lord and 2 Damsels - all mounted
4) 9-12 Questing Knights

Thanks, but no. I have always been the "bad" guys. When we played with GI Joe figures, I had mostly Cobra figures. I play Iron Warriors as my main in 40K. I was usually Germany in A&A. I tend towards CN, CE, and NE in D&D. So bright shiny knights are probably not the thing for me. LOL

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
03-07-2014, 19:06

In what universe? I haven't seen foot warriors in so long that I've forgotten what the models look like.

Knifeparty
04-07-2014, 00:06
The infantry choices however are the common competitive options for WOC.

Yea, sorry but I haven't seen a Chaos Warrior on foot in 3 years. Well...except my army.

Nurgle/Slaanesh Daemon Prince

Tzeentch BSB on Monstrous Mount with 3++ re-roll 1's

Core is all Warhounds/Chariots or Max Chaos Trolls with Throgg

Special is all Chimerae and Gorbeast Chariots

Rare is all Skullcrushers.

Every competitive WoC army is a variant of this.

thesoundofmusica
04-07-2014, 07:29
I see Chaos Warriors but that's likely only because we play rulebook scenarios. Tournament lists basically never have Warriors like others have already said.

Ddraiglais
04-07-2014, 08:27
I haven't started playing or even reading the rulebook yet so this might be a really dumb question. Which out of DE and WoC is the faster army? I would assume DE would be, but does WoC have fast units in it? From my 40K experience speed (including deepstriking and such) kills.

Lord Solar Plexus
04-07-2014, 09:03
WoC can be and often is faster than DE I suppose, at least overall. I think Elven steeds are a bit faster as a unit but Chimeras, Disc BSB's and Demon Princes fly, which gives them a considerable threat range. Characters aside - DE can get Pegasi after all -, Trolls and Ogres are M6, there's light, heavy and monstrous cavalry. As others have pointed out, WoC infantry is hardly ever fielded (although it fights very well) in great numbers simply because there are so many fast(er) choices. On top of this, an honorable mention goes to chariots who are actually an odd element: They cannot march and are slow - actually just as fast as M4 infantry on the march - to reposition but their charge range is about 16-17 inches I gather.

Oh, and the dogs can vanguard on top of swiftstride.

Knifeparty
04-07-2014, 17:34
Technically Dark Elves are faster, it's just that all of the stuff that really hits hard and everyone takes either flies or is mounted for Warriors of Chaos.

Tupinamba
05-07-2014, 10:59
Well, Iīll throw in my two cents too.

I think that all this talk about "tiers" and certain armies being "horrible" etc. is vastly exaggerated and doesnīt apply to normal, casual gaming and certainly not gaming within a couple. The current setting is more than balanced enough for fun playing outside of ultra competitive environments.

I play DE since 6th edition and am considered a "second tier" player in my community, winning more than loosing and being generally respected, while a tick below the really good, tournament winning players. And Iīve never had the impression to simply walk over Beastmen or Tomb King armies with my Druchii. Itīs always being tough fights, decided on actual tactical gameplay on the table and luck.

So, my advise would be to get the armies you really like, modelwise, fluff and artwise and from the perspective of gameplay. Also, editions, armybooks etc. come and go, while your decision on an army for WFHB is always a long term project. I play since 3 editions and havenīt totally finished my DE collection yet...

Daniel36
05-07-2014, 16:01
I know this isn't the advice you want to hear, but if I were you I'd just buy the models you like the look of, buy Ganesha Games' "Song of Blades and Heroes" and actually play a fun game.
Oh, I am such an old grognard... I know...

Shadeseraph
05-07-2014, 22:43
I know this isn't the advice you want to hear, but if I were you I'd just buy the models you like the look of, buy Ganesha Games' "Song of Blades and Heroes" and actually play a fun game.
Oh, I am such an old grognard... I know...

Never heard of it. Checking it right now. For starters, it looks like a skirmish game, which is a bit different from what WHFB, but shows promise. Thanks, though.

Alltaken
05-07-2014, 23:00
If you go woc dont buy the net list, it might turn horribly boring if your gf doesnt get the grasp of the game. And I would recommend another elf army for her. We are less forgiving and much different to play

Francis
06-07-2014, 00:04
The way I see it WoC can be a very hard matchup for wood elves no matter what type of army you pick at least at the beginner level. They are basically heavily armoured killing machines that stomp things into the ground and as such are very easy to play and win with for new players, wood elves on the other hand demands finesse and precision and works better in the hands of experienced players.

Add to this that WoC represent the ultimate evil (bar daemons) in the warhammer universe, and the fact that your girl wants a "good" army I can't see a scenario that ends well if you pick an army that is likely to stomp her into the ground most of the times. Since she likes the background of the wood elves I can guarantee that she won't like to imagine big brutes stepping all over bloodied elven corpses, and that is the image that will arise from your games.

Even if you try to play soft lists, there is still a chance you might beat her heavily and you definitely don't want her to think you're holding back on her as that can be very insulting.

In short, don't pick WoC to oppose your GFs elves, just don't. It is very likely to end bad.

Kallstrom
06-07-2014, 09:09
I wish my girlfriend wanted to start playing Warhammer. Even the puny Wood Elves would be an acceptable start if she only wanted to give it at least a try. Baah..

From my experience almost every chick that I have seen that plays Warhammer plays Wood Elves (all but one, who played a goblin list). Now, why is that..? :)

Edit: Play Beastmen! It will make for some great "fighting in/over the forest"-scenarios and Beastmen both look great are really cool!

NemoSD
06-07-2014, 15:30
I wish my girlfriend wanted to start playing Warhammer. Even the puny Wood Elves would be an acceptable start if she only wanted to give it at least a try. Baah..

From my experience almost every chick that I have seen that plays Warhammer plays Wood Elves (all but one, who played a goblin list). Now, why is that..? :)

Edit: Play Beastmen! It will make for some great "fighting in/over the forest"-scenarios and Beastmen both look great are really cool!

See, of the four female players I know, one plays Brettonian, the other plays Dark Elves, another plays Warriors of Chaos, and the last plays High Elves.

Noodle!
06-07-2014, 15:45
I see Chaos Warriors but that's likely only because we play rulebook scenarios. Tournament lists basically never have Warriors like others have already said.

Which is the fun bit with not playing tournaments. My army is based on fluff and looking cool, but despite that it's not like they're BAD. I love my warriors. Two nice blocks of them. Chaos ogres too! It can all work even if it doesn't become an unbeatable sledgehammer.

Kallstrom
06-07-2014, 18:38
See, of the four female players I know, one plays Brettonian, the other plays Dark Elves, another plays Warriors of Chaos, and the last plays High Elves.

Okay, then I know. :)

CountUlrich
06-07-2014, 23:42
Yeah, the girls I know around here, 2 play daemons and 1 plays night goblins.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

najo
06-07-2014, 23:53
Pick your army based on its look and play style. From what you describe, either WoC or DE would be good. I personally play both VC and TK. I've played them in every edition. Right now, TKs are in a weird place. They were the 2nd army written for 8th ed, but they previousily only had a 6th ed book because they were so new. Because of this, TKs were underpowered and need a little more polish. They don't quite synergize right and pulling out a victory is very difficult with them. On the other hand, WoC is a bit top heavy and over powered. All the other armies are more or less well-balanced, aside from armies that are still in 6th or 7th formats (bretonnia, beastmen and skaven).

I can say with certainty, VC are very well balanced and fun army if your looking for undead. TK will likely get a small boost when 9th ed comes out (like if fear and killing blow get boosted for example), and then they will likely get a new army book sooner than later in the 9th ed cycle.

Ddraiglais
07-07-2014, 20:48
Everyone says to pick the minis that I like. Well I like the looks of a lot of armies. I love TK, DE, Beasts, and WoC. I like VC, CD, Ogres, HE, Daemons, and Kislev a lot. There are other armies that could be cool as well. I thought that maybe an Estalian army with Empire rules would be cool. Thought if I were going to do something like that, I'd probably go with Kislev or the Border Princes. As far as play style goes, I play a few vastly different armies in 40K (Iron Warriors, traitor guard, and Eldar) and enjoy each of them for their own play style. I think I would enjoy different play styles in WFB. I do think that I would enjoy a side that is capable of lots of speed for my main army. As far as background goes, I will most likely read a lot of the different backgrounds. Though I will say that I probably like WoC's background the most (especially the steppe tribes). I don't know if my girlfriend is set on WE. That is just the army she thought of first. I would also be playing other people as well so her choice isn't too huge of an issue.

NemoSD
08-07-2014, 02:26
Everyone says to pick the minis that I like. Well I like the looks of a lot of armies. I love TK, DE, Beasts, and WoC. I like VC, CD, Ogres, HE, Daemons, and Kislev a lot. There are other armies that could be cool as well. I thought that maybe an Estalian army with Empire rules would be cool. Thought if I were going to do something like that, I'd probably go with Kislev or the Border Princes. As far as play style goes, I play a few vastly different armies in 40K (Iron Warriors, traitor guard, and Eldar) and enjoy each of them for their own play style. I think I would enjoy different play styles in WFB. I do think that I would enjoy a side that is capable of lots of speed for my main army. As far as background goes, I will most likely read a lot of the different backgrounds. Though I will say that I probably like WoC's background the most (especially the steppe tribes). I don't know if my girlfriend is set on WE. That is just the army she thought of first. I would also be playing other people as well so her choice isn't too huge of an issue.

Dude, if you are introducing her to the hobby, her army choice is important. While she may not be your most frequent opponent, you will likely be hers at first. You're the one she trusts, and most people don't dive in when they have something to hold on to. So your choice, in reflection of hers, is important.

najo
09-07-2014, 07:06
I agree with Nemo's point. Make sure her army fits her and yours is fun for her to play against. My wife original tried empire cause she loved their horses. She hated the way they played and wanted nothing to do with the game. She then tried orcs and goblins, and loved their quirks and models. She enjoyed playing a big green horde of "cute" and "mean" monsters. She then got really good, started playing other armies (high elves and chaos warriors). Took time off from warhammer to have our kids and now she is working on an ogre army.

Ddraiglais
09-07-2014, 08:28
That is a good point, Nemo. However, couldn't I buy enough minis to make different lists with just about any army? I mean, can't I have a dumbed down list to play against her (assuming she doesn't have some hidden tactical genius inside of her) and have a list to play against more difficult opponents? I play a lot of varied lists with my 40K armies. I usually know who I am playing against, and I know which list to bring against each opponent. It's for their benefit and mine. We both get a more competitive game I also get to enjoy playing something different from time to time. I also get to know how to play better with rarely used units. Now as far as what army would fit her, I am fairly clueless there. I would have guessed that she would have picked WoC, Daemons, VC, or DE. WE kind of came at me from left field. She hasn't decided on anything yet. That's just the first army that sounded interesting to her when I suggested we get into WFB over 40K since we both love fantasy so much.