PDA

View Full Version : Converting legacy units

Formerly Wu
08-07-2014, 18:11
Hi folks,

I've been working on a project I call the Tactica Imperialis: a ground-up omnibus Battlescribe catalogue. The goal is to allow an Imperial Guard player to create an army list using the entire range of available Imperial Guard and Imperial Armour units, current and past, with all relevant rules provided within the catalogue. Part of the project has involved some creative interpretation- either adapting rules language to current standards, fixing obvious errors, or occasionally taking a machete to cruft and misguided legacy design (I'm looking at you, Imperial Armour artillery/support units). Overall though I've strove to create as accurate and reliable a source as possible while still allowing old units to see the field in a sensible fashion.

The biggest issue I have right now is with units that are built to interact with rules frameworks that just don't exist any more. The two giving me a headache are Schaeffer's Last Chancers and, to an extent, Lord Solar Macharius.

The Last Chancers already have a few rules (like Kage's ability to kill Kill Team sentries) which need the axe due to edition changes. But beyond that, they can take upgrades from the (deprecated) 3.5 armoury, have some very odd pricing for their wargear, and can potentially upgrade to psykers for a (relatively) minimal cost. Given how much of a pain in the butt this unit will be to enter into Battlescribe in the first place, I'm certainly not taking the time to create the entire armoury just for them, and having individual 21-pt ML1 psykers running solo around the map seems like a recipe for disaster given the current psychic system. But it's not obvious where to draw the line on this while still keeping to the spirit of the unit.

Macharius, on the other hand, is nearly impossible to convert to the current ruleset without effectively homebrewing a new character. His rules are so tied to 2nd edition mechanics that anything I create will have to be merely "inspired" by his original rules, at which point the reliability and accuracy of the project is put in jeopardy.

This thread doesn't have a specific question, but I did want to provoke some conversation on the topic. When bringing old rules up to new editions, where do you guys draw the line between strict adherence to the text- regardless of unfavorable or irrelevant rules interactions- and creative interpretations that seek to maintain the spirit but undermine the list's "authority?" Is repointing overcosted wargear to modern standards appropriate, or would you rather stick to simply deleting deprecated rules? Would you rather see a homebrewed unit that recreates the style of an obsolete one in the current ruleset, or not include it in the first place?

Ironbone
09-07-2014, 07:42
anything I create will have to be merely "inspired" by his original rules, at which point the reliability and accuracy of the project is put in jeopardy.
No, it won't. Special characters rules, cost, sometimes even wargear, changed quite significantly over the course of the years, but they remain faithful to their own theme. And that what matters - remaining faithful but not blindly chained to orginal character.

Theme of Macharius is known for years - a brilliant army commander whose merly presence inspire (guards)men to greater deeds, and he's not above of getting up close and personal with enemy should need be, and his rules should be build around this.

Is repointing overcosted wargear to modern standards appropriate, or would you rather stick to simply deleting deprecated rules?
Both, one of this is just halfmeasures.