PDA

View Full Version : From the "Where do wood elfs fall now" thread . . .

BBWags
09-07-2014, 01:34
I started the "where do wood elfs fall now" thread in the WHFB general forum to get an idea of what people perceive the general power level of woodies to be at. After a lot of debate (which is still going strong), I figured I'd put my full 2400 point list in the actual list forum and see what you guys think it's strengths and weaknesses are, what matchups will be good and bad for it, and for extra credit, if it would be perceived as an irritating / frustrating / boring list to play again.

Here it is.

Level 4 shadowweaver on steed w/ acorns

Level 2 heavensinger with moonstone

14 trueflight glade guard w/ musician

12 hagbane glade guard w/ musician

12 hagbane glade guard w/ musician

3 warhawk riders

7 sisters of the thorn w/ standard

7 wildriders w/ shields, FC, banner of swiftness

7 wildriders w/ shields, FC

10 waywatcher

10 waywatchers

great eagle

great eagle

============

If you have suggestions to change, that's fine, but before you suggest changes, please give me your opinion on its current power level and perceived cheese / frustration-inducing-ness.

I am really eager to start collecting this force, but like I mentioned in the other thread, I really want to make sure I don't get blindsided by "wood elf hate" if I show up at the local game store with it.

Thanks all for your help!

daimyo52
09-07-2014, 07:11
I don't think you will have enough magic dice to support Lvl4 /Lvl2 Sisters.

I'd drop the Sisters and make the Wildriders a bit bigger.

I'd swap the Warhawks and use spare points for scouts with poison.

Wesser
09-07-2014, 08:53
A fairly strong list - and typical

It's obvious weakness that it is a typical wood elf mobile gunline. Shooting heavy High Elf lists and Dwarf Gunlines will be an issue if the enemy outshoots you, as you have no real options for advancing. Also Scenarios such as Watchtower that requires you to hold specific positions will be a hazzle.

Against Tomb Kings you'll find their archers a hazzle and the Casket can end the game for you in one magic phase

Against Lizardmen Cowboys will be a huge problem and your Waywatchers will be in trouble against javelin skinks that will constrict their maneuverability

For these reasons and in order to make the game a bit more interesting for my opponent I always try to have at least one properly fighting unit available (Wild Riders are glass-cannon suicide troops) aka WWR, EG or Dryads supported by characters

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
09-07-2014, 20:43
Here's a WE list that I faced at Wet Coast GT, that ended up winning Best General (with 5 straight crushing victories)

Spellweaver, level 4 (high), steed, tal of pres, forbidden rod
Spellweaver, level 4 (Dark), elven steed, tal of protection, dispel scroll
Spellsinger, level 1 (shadow) elven steed, obsidian lodestone
Glade Captain, BSB, steed, hail of doom arrow
10 sisters, FC, banner of swiftness

3x10 glade riders, standard, hagbane

2x8 waywatchers

treeman, strangle roots

eagle

=2500

Wesser
10-07-2014, 10:42
Fairly typical avoidance list apart from that odd Treeman

Now imagine a IF Dwellers on that unit... or if it... LD 9 rerolled or not ...fails a terror/panic test...

I'll easily believe it won.. and got best general... doubt he scored too high on sportsmanship though

teclis_16
11-07-2014, 03:17
You need a dispel scroll. Best 25 point item there is.
Trueflight arrows aren't worth putting on glade guard. I'd only put them on scouts unless you plan on using them against garrisoned units.
Great Eagles aren't worth taking when warhawk riders are 5 points less and overall better.

Wesser
11-07-2014, 08:52
Trueflight arrows aren't worth putting on glade guard. I'd only put them on scouts unless you plan on using them against garrisoned units.
Great Eagles aren't worth taking when warhawk riders are 5 points less and overall better.

Doesn't get more wrong than this

Warhawks is 3+ unit which as such cost more (bad for a chaff unit) and takes up a lot more space. They are NOT comparable to eagles.

Trueflight is so worth it. It means you can put your GG wherever you like behind forests and other units and give a damn about cover. At LEAST one unit of Trueflight Guard is almost mandatory for clearing pesky skirmish units such as Chameleon Skinks

teclis_16
11-07-2014, 10:48
Doesn't get more wrong than this

Warhawks is 3+ unit which as such cost more (bad for a chaff unit) and takes up a lot more space. They are NOT comparable to eagles.

Trueflight is so worth it. It means you can put your GG wherever you like behind forests and other units and give a damn about cover. At LEAST one unit of Trueflight Guard is almost mandatory for clearing pesky skirmish units such as Chameleon Skinks

Clearly we have very different playing tactics.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
12-07-2014, 02:14
Fairly typical avoidance list apart from that odd Treeman

Now imagine a IF Dwellers on that unit... or if it... LD 9 rerolled or not ...fails a terror/panic test...

I'll easily believe it won.. and got best general... doubt he scored too high on sportsmanship though

The treeman is there to block up armies that get too close. Also for taking out big troublesome monsters.

Dwellers would have given him troubles, as would the Tomb Kings player who took best overall (because, as you guessed, second from the bottom in sportsmanship :P), but they were by no means auto-wins.

This was my game three, and it was probably the most frustrating game of Warhammer that I've ever played.