PDA

View Full Version : daemon slayer

EvanM
12-07-2014, 21:08
Hes a little overshadowed by the lord (extremely defensive character) but does anyone know how to use the daemon slayer? what I could see is kitting him to basically massacre one enemy character/monster.

-rune of no armor saves
-rune of grudge (the I am going to kill ____ rune)

and because he makes enemies reroll ward saves and does d3 wounds against monsters AND auto wounds on a 4+ at minimum, I could see him basically wrecking low init monsters or low init characters (hopefully the enemy has one of the two).

the one thing I wish he had was the ability to get ASF at the same time as the no armor saves (they are both master runes though).

Mozzamanx
12-07-2014, 23:27
I think tooling him up to fight characters or monsters is a lost cause; he is extremely well-known as a monster slayer, he is extremely eye-catching on the board with his mohawk, and he is extremely slow. Any monster that justifies the application of a Daemonslayer is going to be kept well out of harms reach unless your opponent is doing something very silly. My opinion is that the Daemonslayer is not terribly good as a result but if I were to use him, I think using him as a cheap tarpit to suck a big unit out of the game is a good place to start.

Daemonslayer- Rune of Parrying, Rune of the Furnace. 170pts

He is a small-based model and so you should never be taking more than 3 columns of attacks at any one time. He is WS7 and incurs a penalty to-hit, so most units are hitting on 6's. A lot of units are then wounding on 6's as well. The Furnace is just there for the occasional time that it pays off spectacularly.
Put him in front of a horde that you want to stop and enjoy the opponents tears as it is reduced to 6-9 models slapfighting with an Unbreakable model while the others watch. He won't win that fight, but there are plenty of units that cannot punch through in good speed and he is probably cheaper than they were.

Like I said I still don't think it's a very good unit, but it's probably more likely to work than asking him to go monster hunting.

EvanM
12-07-2014, 23:30
what about challenging enemy characters with him?

Mozzamanx
13-07-2014, 00:55
I think that if you want to go killing characters, you'd be better with the standard Lord. An Armour save, Shieldbearers and Armour Runes will take you much further than the Slayers abilities.

EvanM
13-07-2014, 01:05
yeah my brother loves slayers, he doesnt really care about the perfect strategy, I just wanna kit the slayer to be good at something. i do like the -1 to hit rune, totally worth it.

EvanM
13-07-2014, 01:06
right now i am going with :
no armor saves (good against characters)
grudge rune (pick one guy to try to challenge and kill)
-1 to hit rune (defensive rune)

Crube
13-07-2014, 04:41
The Slayer characters are one of those that really annoy me... the background the fluff the models are all spot on for me. I love the idea of an unsuccessful Troll Slayer getting madder, badder, and more dangerous to know, but in the game I could never justify the higher characters.... they're just too immobile as an independent character, and even within Slayer units just too.... slow.... but then you can say the same about most dwarf characters - that's why my dwarf lists always seemed to be kind of character light...

Although one of the best moments I've had at a tourney (of all places) was where my opponent and I had a gentlemans agreement that we would let his Slayer (Dragon IIRC) go after one of my Treemen. They joined battle and spent 4 turns beating (well trying to) the snot out of each other, while the rest of our armies did battle around them!!! Great fun!

russellmoo
13-07-2014, 06:12
You could try putting a grudge rune and the flying hammer rune on a demon slayer. This would allow him in combination with a slayer unit to vanguard near some monstrous cavalry and try to take one out at range.

EvanM
13-07-2014, 06:34
does "mosters" include monsterous cav/inf????????

liddan
13-07-2014, 18:11
does "mosters" include monsterous cav/inf????????

For the dragon slayer-rule? No, completely different unit type

However, afaik a character mounted on a monster get the monster unit type. I guess you could argue, even though it's unflavorful and probably not intended, that the slayer gets D3 wounds when directing hits against the character.

russellmoo
14-07-2014, 04:54
Sorry, I didn't have my book nearby when I made the post, you are going to want to go after monsters only, however, a demon slayer can fit the Mr flight grudge rune and rune of parrying all on one axe, allowing him to inflict some death at range and possibly force your opponent to actually engage your slayer.

Has anyone had any luck running an Ungrim Ironfist slayer death star.

The main problem I see with it is that you have to choose whether to vanguard or take the 3x slowness standard, if only there was a way to get both.