PDA

View Full Version : skavenslaves with slings

EvanM
13-07-2014, 07:12
sorry for all the skaven threads, butttt...

does anyone successfully use skavenslaves with slings? the idea seems cool, itsd the cheapest shooting unit in the game but also could be the worst.

Sanai
13-07-2014, 07:21
Never be sorry for making lots of skaven threads! It is with threads like these that the Skaven shall achieve World Domination! Mwuhahahaha!

I always figured skavenslaves were all about being cheap, numerous & expendable. The problem with giving them slings is that every couple of slings = one less skavenslave.

EvanM
13-07-2014, 07:52
what about 20 skavenslaves with slings out front of combat blocks arrayed 10 wide and 2 deep, doing maximum shooting damage and being a buffer speed bump unit as well.

it could deflect shooting maybe? yeah i mean i dont think you should run slings in massive units but for the number of pts it takes to equip a unit of 20, you only have to kill a single high elf or dwarf warrior to earn those pts back.

liddan
13-07-2014, 12:57
Slaves are good at one thing and at that they are arguably the best. Cheap tarpit.

With BS2 and range 18'' you probably won't hit a single thing. You'll hit even less if you use multiple shot or move. I really don't think it's worth the points. That unit is just 50 vp for your opponent to scoop up.

You can't argue that if they kill one high elf or dwarf they get the points back. If you lose the unit, they have to kill 4-5 dwarves or elves. If they don't die you still have to kill the entire enemy unit to get the VP which you probably will or won't anyway with or without the sling slaves.

Josfer
13-07-2014, 13:05
20 slings are 10 pts and 40 shots. You'll probably either hit long range or stand and shoot or moved, so only hit on 6+ and with S3 probably wound on 4+ with HE having probably 5+, dwarves 4+ AS at least. That'll do one wound pretty sure, against elves probably two. Add to that the fact that you probably shoot in your turn and then stand and shoot in his, you'll kill 3 dwarves or 4 elves. In CC you'll deal your usual nothing and (because you probably won't be steadfast) while fleeing you out of pure luck kill another one. All of that for 50 pts sounds like a good deal.

liddan
13-07-2014, 14:58
Against dwarves you're more likely to wound on 5+ but I get your point.

Slaves are almost always worth their points, no getting around that. You could pay 3 pts for a slave without sling and it would still be a bargain.

However I think that 50 point unit won't win you any VPs in a vast majority of the games. They will often times give up 50 VP though.

russellmoo
13-07-2014, 15:18
If you want to take slaves with slings my guess is you could. I think slaves are better used as teapots which you can then shoot into. The other problem with slaves with slings is a modeling one. Actually putting together a unit of slaves with slings can get pricey. As in actual cost to buy that many sling arms.

If I want to go for a cheap shooting unit I actually toss in a small unit of night runners. They move faster, shoot better, and can even act as a sort of foot fast cavalry with their slinking advance rule. The problem is that they are priced a little too high, but still in the current meta which relies heavily on chaff this unit might be worth another look.

EvanM
13-07-2014, 18:48
I think a defensive skaven army could make use of slaves with slings.

4-5 units of 20, all arrayed 10 wide just in front of the lines can take out a few models (high elf sword masters, slayers, witch elves, fast cav of any kind).

they will probably break without steadfast, but if they dont you can use weapon teams to shoot into the combat and fry up more guys.

YES! modelling is a pain, thats why I was gonna test this out before I attempt to do anything about it. I just kind of like the idea of a swarm of slingers (like rediculously cheap shooting)

60 slaves with slings is the same as 9 poison wind globardiers or 4 jezzails with a sharpshooter or a single warp lightning cannon. now those are our other shooting options but none of those are core.

you could even run them 4 deep and 10 wide just to try to last a round in combat (in order to shoot into close combat). its only 20 pts to give a 40 man unit some slings...

Josfer
14-07-2014, 09:06
you could even run them 4 deep and 10 wide just to try to last a round in combat (in order to shoot into close combat). its only 20 pts to give a 40 man unit some slings...
The big difference is that normally you would field a 40 slave unit 8*5 and not 4*10 and thus wouldn't lose steadfast to anything with +3 rank bonus after losing 6 slaves.

More interesting would be an army consisting of slave tarpits (40+) in the front and slingslaves in the back to shoot the tarpitted enemies.

EvanM
14-07-2014, 19:04
40 shots, 6's to hit, scatters between the units. Could be interesting. Costs about as m$uch as a warpfire thrower though

liddan
14-07-2014, 19:23
And if you keep the sling-blocks behind, you'll certainly have to shoot through hard cover for an extra -2 to hit.

EvanM
15-07-2014, 03:47
well 50 pts for another speed bump unit that's behind a tarpit of say 40 slaves sounds cool to me. its like why not, i mean you get to count as shooting at close range and you could do good damage to units that rely on high WS or parry save to live (instead of toughness, for instance).

maybe it could pick off some elves since itd probably do as much damage to them as it would to the slaves.

whatd be AWESOME is if clanrats could get slings (or if nightrunners with slings were 4-5 pts instead of the over priced number they are now (i mean who needs 2 hand weapons when you have S3 anyway)

Luigi
15-07-2014, 10:23
I've always found that there are not enough options for slings in warhammer plus you rarely see any on the battlefield.
For this reason alone I'd say: "go for it"

EvanM
15-07-2014, 16:27
and btw if i do intend to model this i am gonna use my old clanrats, buy the booster packs from GW and do that to 20 dudes.

yes there are almost no slings!! i mean its just cool, however you do it, to get a cheap as crud shooting unit of 20 guys with slings. MAN! if only nightrunners were 4 pts!!!!!

Danger-Russ
02-08-2014, 11:34
I once took skavenskaves with slings just to grab some extra points in a list during a pick up game against a skink heavy Lizzie List. They slaughtered many a skink prior to charging in to finish them off.

They are definitely in the permanent list now.

I only provide a couple of the front rank models with the sling arms in order to 'represent' the armament of the unit.

Bladelord
02-08-2014, 18:00
Do it. There are not enough slings or other ancient stuff around in Warhammer.

EvanM
02-08-2014, 21:12
Haha yeah good point.

FatTrucker
03-08-2014, 01:30
Lots of slaves with slings will generally be mediocre its true. But lots of slaves with slings and bless with filth cast on them become ever so slightly more scary to enemy monsters, single chars and war machines. :)

EvanM
03-08-2014, 02:08
poison slings are scary to everyone. thats why we run gutter runners right?

English 2000
03-08-2014, 02:37
I think slaves are better used as teapots

Do you upgrade the unit with milk and sugar?

EvanM
03-08-2014, 02:44
Do you upgrade the unit with milk and sugar?

actually he probably wants a crumpet with his slaves