PDA

View Full Version : Red waaagh campaign book discussion

Keryso
13-07-2014, 14:39
Hello everybody!

As the name implies, i'd like to hear everyone's view on the book itself. I myself have bought it on day one and am already enjoying the fluff in it and the extras you get.

Extras= 11 campaign missions for the red waagh vs imperial guards+imperial knights, 5 formations (1 Knight, 2 IG and 2 Orks) + full set of rules for planetstrike.

I myself have never done any campaigns or any planetstrike games, but with this book i am really tempted to try it out.

Also, as i said earlier: the fluff in this book is amazing. Warlord Grukk on his own is badass, and even though i hate knights, them and the imperial guard also did some pretty badass things. (Ninja imperial knight punting battlewagons anyone?)

What are your thoughts? Did you enjoy it, or is this another of those 'meh' books?

Keryso, now one of Mogrok's ladz.

Warnoober
13-07-2014, 15:16
I am somewhat disappointed. The fact that is IG vs Ork only (more or less) and even more so certian missions want "3 Morkonaught and 3 Knights" or whatever. I thought the time of being very specific in missions/campaign structure was done with. And I found it fairly weak as a "campaign" since it'sjust "play these missions one after another".

Crusade of FIre, though it has some big flaws atleast seemed like I was playing a story/campaign.

Basicly I paid $50 for a couple pages of updated Planetstrike rules and some missions that I can play just not the way GW intends.

So far the best campaign I've seen is IA12 Fall of Orpheus Any faction can play in any side of the war (those on the crazy necron side are mind controlled). And you can play as little or as mich as you want with a bunch of different missions to play however you want.

Jind_Singh
13-07-2014, 19:43
I quite liked my book actually - not all the way through the story but so far so good!

Artwork and quality of book is nice

I liked the look of the missions but like mentioned above by other posters it's not a true campaign book BUT having said that it's already way better than that Crusade of Fire farce!

It's not a true campaign book like that - this is more of a narrative campaign to re-create key battles from the stories - for this reason I really dig it and can't wait to try it out.

I like the fact it's got a clear start-to-finish flow and I can plan for those games in advance - and 6 games is not a huge investment of time and resources compared to the Crusade of Fire type campaign.

I also like the concise and fun adaption of the Planet strike rules - this is where Jervis is shining these days! Siege rules for Warhammer were simplified like a champion, planet strike has - makes for better gaming as we're not wasting days learning lots and lots of rules!

The data sheets were so-so, wasn't really blown away by any for the Imperials but the Orks have a nifty one that gives outflank and acute senses to D3 units! I can imagine the look of horror on the enemy face as 30-90 boyz outflank without having to spend turns of being shot at!

Overall quite satisfied with the investment of dollars it cost to get the book

Mini77
13-07-2014, 19:51
The data sheets were so-so, wasn't really blown away by any for the Imperials but the Orks have a nifty one that gives outflank and acute senses to D3 units! I can imagine the look of horror on the enemy face as 30-90 boyz outflank without having to spend turns of being shot at!

I quite like the Knight formation. Rerollable invulnerable saves is actually quite useful.

Keryso
13-07-2014, 20:00
I am somewhat disappointed. The fact that is IG vs Ork only (more or less) and even more so certian missions want "3 Morkonaught and 3 Knights" or whatever. I thought the time of being very specific in missions/campaign structure was done with. And I found it fairly weak as a "campaign" since it'sjust "play these missions one after another".

Rereading the missions right now, and you could easily change these missions about to fit other armies. For example mission 9, you could easily replace the orks with nightravens, and the ig with some xenos defensive perimeter.

I quite liked my book actually - not all the way through the story but so far so good!

Artwork and quality of book is nice

I liked the look of the missions but like mentioned above by other posters it's not a true campaign book BUT having said that it's already way better than that Crusade of Fire farce!

It's not a true campaign book like that - this is more of a narrative campaign to re-create key battles from the stories - for this reason I really dig it and can't wait to try it out.

I like the fact it's got a clear start-to-finish flow and I can plan for those games in advance - and 6 games is not a huge investment of time and resources compared to the Crusade of Fire type campaign.

I also like the concise and fun adaption of the Planet strike rules - this is where Jervis is shining these days! Siege rules for Warhammer were simplified like a champion, planet strike has - makes for better gaming as we're not wasting days learning lots and lots of rules!

Overall quite satisfied with the investment of dollars it cost to get the book

I find the datasheets interesting, apart from the knight one (hate those things).

And i think that when it came to the story, it is one of the best fluffs I've read. Some of the things that happen is just really badass. I want to do the stompa+Grukk vs knights battle so badly.

I quite like the Knight formation. Rerollable invulnerable saves is actually quite useful.

i think my fav of the formations is the Ork mek one or the ogryn formation. 3+ cover saves to everything behind it? yes please!

HelloKitty
14-07-2014, 01:57
I liked the book. We added the missions to our mission database for our own campaigns. The updated planetstrike rules is a watered down version of the older planetstrike book. We will merge the two. The campaign can be tweaked to allow any factions as well.

Jind_Singh
14-07-2014, 05:14
The more I read the story (I'm up to "The Sacred and the Scarred") the more I love this book!

Those datasheets have grown on me big time and I can't wait to try out the missions that represent the story I've read so far!

Pretty pumped - but BY FAR the best value you'll get is (I'm an Imperial collector with Marines, Guard, Scions, and a Knight) if an Ork player ALSO has the book AND likes to read fluff.

Find a player like that and this is gold.

Da Reddaneks
15-07-2014, 10:32
I purchased it this past weekend. There is some new fluff, some new art, missions and a few moderately interesting formations for guard. I did not feel any of the formations for Orks were interesting enough to take. I am glad I purchased it because I like to have all the books but as a product for game use I certainty could have lived with out it. My recommendation so far has been for Ork players to buy the Gazaghkull supplement first. Its probably a better book from the Imperial Guard perspective.

Keryso
15-07-2014, 15:45
I purchased it this past weekend. There is some new fluff, some new art, missions and a few moderately interesting formations for guard. I did not feel any of the formations for Orks were interesting enough to take. I am glad I purchased it because I like to have all the books but as a product for game use I certainty could have lived with out it. My recommendation so far has been for Ork players to buy the Gazaghkull supplement first. Its probably a better book from the Imperial Guard perspective.

I think for me it is the opposite really :S don't get me wrong, his supplement is amazing. But for some reason the storytelling in the new book got me more hooked, as for once it had me rooted for the imperial guard and knights (Gerantius anyone?)for once. I am also going to use Mek Mogrok with big mek Dagogg + Ungrumm and his mek retinue (I read evil sun rising, and even though short, is pretty good on the fun side) in my death walka army (outflanking death dreads+ morkanauts? yes please!). One of best releases this month in my opinion (can't wait for the part 2 of the campaign against the space doggies).

Ironbone
18-07-2014, 09:44
Well, i finaly got my book, and while i did not read that much into fluff and missions ( I know, it's sily concidering they are like 3/4 of the book ), but instead focused on rules.

It...wasn't as bad as I supoused it would be, but i'm personaly bit dissapointed.

Formations - they are not bad, especialy tank one ( 12" prefered enemy aura from tank commander ), even if usually expensive as hell ( easyly 1100+ pts, and probably way more ), but they are formations. And for me this mean designer have to put very little effort to create one. I much much more would like to see some new special characters. Especialy guard ones, but Grukk have some potencial as well. And it's especialy stupid that book build armoud rampage of this particular warboss does not even incloude his rules, instead, force you to either buy second book, or use rules of generic warboss.

Aaaand the Planetstrike update to 7th ed. Well, it's good that GW remember about one of theirs better expansions, but doesn't planetstrike deserve own full book re-relase ? Under same or even maybe new name ? For someone whos not that much intresested in follownig "what's new" it's quite a good chance he will miss this book sneaky realese. It almost happened to me. And update itsele, while nice, isn't particulary extensive. Good, they toned down a bit attacker straggems ( especialy "desperate last push", wich was quite broken ), but over all, it wasn't much more than any decent gameing group is capable of doing by house-rules.

So over all, 5/10. Could be worse, can be a lot better.

MajorWesJanson
18-07-2014, 12:14
Aaaand the Planetstrike update to 7th ed. Well, it's good that GW remember about one of theirs better expansions, but doesn't planetstrike deserve own full book re-relase ? Under same or even maybe new name ? For someone whos not that much intresested in follownig "what's new" it's quite a good chance he will miss this book sneaky realese. It almost happened to me. And update itsele, while nice, isn't particulary extensive. Good, they toned down a bit attacker straggems ( especialy "desperate last push", wich was quite broken ), but over all, it wasn't much more than any decent gameing group is capable of doing by house-rules.

So over all, 5/10. Could be worse, can be a lot better.

Having played several of the old planetstrike games in 7th, the few pages in this book are all that was really needed. All the fortifications and Interceptor are all part of the BRB and Stronghold Assault, and in general the alternate Planetstrike missions were over the top. Having a planetstrike mission and an udpated set of strategems was really all that was needed, and what we got. Why pay for reprints of the same rules and pictures when they could just add the rules to this book with other rules and new fluff.

HelloKitty
18-07-2014, 12:24
I was a little disappointed in the planetstrike rules in this book. They removed a lot of strategems and there was only the one mission. The other missions were things I enjoyed greatly.