PDA

View Full Version : VC3k

naloth
21-07-2014, 17:02
Ghoul King w/Ogre Blade, Dragonbane Gem, Trickster's Other Shard, Red Fury
Ghoul King w/Sword of Strife, Pot of STR, Red Fury

Mannfred the Acolyte
Vampire Charmed Shield, Dispel Scroll, Quickblood, Heavy Armor, Lvl2 (Shadow)

39 Skeleton Warriors Full Cmd, Flaming Banner
29 Crypt Ghouls w/champ
2x6 Dire Wolves
2x20 Zombies

6 Black Knights
6 Crypt Horrors

Mortis
2xTerrorgheists

Opinions?

Bigman
22-07-2014, 00:42
I'm assuming the ghoul kings will take vamps lore?

Also mannered hero level doesn't get to choose lores...I'm pretty sure he is lore master vamps as a hero.

Bigman
22-07-2014, 00:43
I think you need 8 crypt horrors to be an effective anvil on its own. With the Mortis you might as well make most use of it.

Also what are black knights for?

naloth
22-07-2014, 04:03
Yes, the three others don't get a choice of lore.

The Black Knights were for clearing out tougher chaff and get a banner with a unit that would be helpful without dying in droves. 3x2 gives them solid charge that minimizes frontage.

I agree a larger Horror unit would be nice. I'm just reluctant to cut Lords, Heroes, or Rare. Core is already pretty minimal. That leave specials (Black Knights).

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
22-07-2014, 04:33
Hmm. Interesting.

Firstly, I don't think the BKs fit very well in this list. Yeah they can clear out chaff but that's a pretty expensive way to go about it. Black Knights are a vampire delivery system, and without a vampire they're just kind of lacklustre. All of those points for what...6 s4(6) KB attacks at WS3? Blegh. I'd rather clear chaff with spirit hosts, or take a unit of vargheists.

On that note, why Mannfred the Acolyte and the caster vampire? You could take a bunch of level 2 necros instead and pulse out more invocations than your opponents know what to do with, and for cheaper than squishy little Mannfred. The level 2 vamp is also very expensive for a T4 model with a...what...4+ save?

More importantly, cutting these gets you a very nice Strigoi-themed vampire army. Add in some Vargheists (which are awesome anyways) and you're set.

Bigman
22-07-2014, 07:45
If you drop the second vamp , swap for Necro lvl 1 you could put those points into crypt horrors

naloth
22-07-2014, 14:01
Firstly, I don't think the BKs fit very well in this list. Yeah they can clear out chaff but that's a pretty expensive way to go about it. Black Knights are a vampire delivery system, and without a vampire they're just kind of lacklustre. All of those points for what...6 s4(6) KB attacks at WS3? Blegh. I'd rather clear chaff with spirit hosts, or take a unit of vargheists.
I've never had much luck with Spirit Hosts (similar cost, slower, fragile if the enemy packs any magical attacks) but Vargheists would work. I just don't presently have models for them. The sort of units I was thinking about clearing are relatively fast yet annoying to kill (mounted elves or gyrocopters, for example) so having a longer charge range is nice.

On that note, why Mannfred the Acolyte and the caster vampire? You could take a bunch of level 2 necros instead and pulse out more invocations than your opponents know what to do with, and for cheaper than squishy little Mannfred. The level 2 vamp is also very expensive for a T4 model with a...what...4+ save?
Necros for Mannfred is a good idea. That works out to 5 levels (2xL2 and a L1) instead. They don't get the +d3 to invocation but it does spread out the risk of the Mortis a bit and offers more channels per turn.

The L2 Vamp is for Shadow (miasma, 1 other spell, the ability to swap a GK out of a losing combat). Originally I would going to put in him on a mount to accompany the Black Knights but it prevents model swapping with Shadow. I'll have to ponder what to do with him a bit. I might be able to get him better protection if I move the dispel to a necro as well.

I'll see about coming up with the points to bump the Horrors to 8 by using Vargheists. I might need to use raising shenanigans if I hit Blood and Glory.

naloth
22-07-2014, 15:38
Swapped the BK with 3 Vargheists allowing for another Horror (boosting that unit to 7). The outstanding question on the mages:

Mannfred or 2 Lvl2 Necros - Mannfred has much better stats, gets +d3 to invocation, and all the Vamp spells. The 2 lvl2 would be naked, having 2 less spells total (but could double up on Invok), and one more channel.

The L2 Vamp -> Replacing him with a L2 Necro with a dispel scroll would free up enough points for a L1 Necro. It's quite a hit for stats/fighting ability (an ASF vamp w/WS6, S5, A4 could kill most fast cavalry units that might engage this bunker), the necro's can't take shadow (so only Vamp lore for the army), but one more channel. Of course, just going with the L2 Necro, those points could also fund another Varghiest (making that 4) and a Horror (making that 8).

Offhand, I'm not sure a few more channels is worth the loss of spell choice and fighting ability. Dropping the L2 Vamp in favor of the L2 Necro and troops is somewhat appealing, but I will miss having a shadow caster around. Of course, it's almost the same cost to drop Mannfred in favor of a L2 Necro + those troops.

naloth
22-07-2014, 16:08
Here's V2, totals 3k

Ghoul King: Sword of Strife, Pot of Str, Red Fury
Ghoul King: Ogre Blade, Dragonbane Gem, Trickster's Other Shard, Red Fury

Necro: L2, Cursed Book
Vamp: L2 (Shadow), BSB, Charmed Shield, Dispel Scroll, Quick Blood

39 Skeletons w/Champ, Std, Swiftness Banner
29 Ghouls w/Champ
7 Dire Wolves
6 Dire Wolves
20 Zombies w/Std
20 Zombies w/Std

3 Vargheists
8 Crypt Horrors

Mortis w/Tome
2xTerrogheists

Other than the shadow vamp, all the casters have the Lore of the Vampires. The GK's each have a fighting block that will be mostly arranged in a defensive stance depending on the opponent. The two support casters will likely bunker back in with the zombies while the shadow Vamp helps defend them from scouts, ambushers, flyers, and fast cavalry.

Mannfred was replaced with a L2 Necro and the cursed book. It offers a nice (if unpredictable) support spell each turn at a moderate casting level. The L2 has a lot less versatility, but I probably wouldn't either wouldn't have the dice or would be risking Manny with a miscast.