PDA

View Full Version : New WE player

Daleeboy
21-07-2014, 23:25
Hi guys,

New to the game, though being painting for a few years now. Never really intended to start playing games when I first started, and just picked an army that looked fun to paint. That army ended up being wood elves. A few years later, I have an army painted to a good standard (I think) and a few of my friends have armies too. As such we decided to give the game an actual go for a change. Now from what I've heard/read WE's can be a tricky army to begin with, but so far I just can't seem to make much of a dent no matter what I try in the few battle's we've played. And I've definitely made a few silly mistakes that I hope I'll learn from in time.

On the most basic level, are there any good links/threads to basic tactics of how to run a decent WE army. I don't want power gamey stuff, just basics of where certain unit shine and how to get the best from them. I read a guide a while ago, but that was before the new WE book was released and not sure how much of it is still valid. I have a feeling that the basic strategy of "never engage in a fair fight" still stands relatively true, but a few more strategy tips would be good.

On a much more specific level, I have played against a friend a couple of times, who is a Vampire counts player, and every battle from him has been identical. 5 or 6 units, that move up straight up the board never more than 1 foot across. It may as well be on 1 movement tray to be honest. Now I assumed my best plan with wood elves, is just to get behind that and start some disruption, but it's just knowing how to do that. Even if I get behind, I don't see how I do enough damage to take out so many individual models, who are also being raised in number every turn by a Necro. Any combat unit just immediately gets tied up and either never gets free again, or trades for a unit worth half it's points value. I've just finished painting up some Waywatchers thinking I'll just try snipe the Necro first turn and hope to progress from there. But this feels a predetermined hit and hope approach, which either pays off and allows me a chance, or fails and is pointless. To be fair, I may be approaching this in the wrong way, I was hoping for a lot of freeform battles with variety, and it seems my friend is determined to play this identical strategy every time. I suppose my hope it to find a strategy that can encourage him to try some new stuff now and again. And just wondering if anyone had any advice. A few times we've made comments along the lines of "oh, doing that strategy again?" and his response is "it's how the army works, there's nothing else you can really do", but there just seems like there's got to be a way to make him adapt. Even if it does lead to boring repetitive games for a while.

Any advice?

Thanks guys,

Azmodian
21-07-2014, 23:32
The Asrai Tactic page: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?393710-Tactica-Asrai/page45

Or the website dedicated to WE: http://www.asrai.org/viewforum.php?f=26&sid=9e4db503301172ca29e450707b4e2fc7

Chicago Slim
22-07-2014, 13:21
Welcome aboard!

The new book gives Wood Elves a MUCH wider variety of winning options than was true a few months ago, so a lot of the commentary about Wood Elves being difficult to play is a bit out of date. We still have very few high-strength options, but there's tons of things that will hit often enough to grind out the requisite kills.

As to your specific problem with the Vampires, I think you're right about sniping the Necromancer-- if it works, it's great (for you, and lousy for him), and vice versa. But consider this: rather than trying to get behind him (which, as you say, won't actually do much), choose one flank, and see if you can overwhelm it.

Use those new Waywatchers to double-shoot into the unit at one end of his line, and choose the same target with any Glade Guard that you have. If you bring enough shooting, and some decent anti-magic (a level 2 with a dispel scroll, at least) then he'll have a hard time keeping up with the damage you put out (and if he does, he'll have no other magic coming your way, which means he's got nothing going offensively-- you can hang back in total safety, as long as you don't put anything right in front of him).

Once he's taken a couple of rounds of fire, and has come across the board to mid-field (let him come to you, while you maneuver in your own backfield-- be fluid and stay mobile), then you're going to hit that flank like a ton of bricks. You want one strong unit (a big unit of Eternal Guard, or maybe 3 or 4 Tree Kin) hitting the front, at the same time that you hit the flank with something that'll add some extra bite (Wardancers or Warhawk Riders would work here). Being Undead, he'll take a ton of wounds (low WS, mostly T3, not much armor), and then take a bunch more when he adds up the combat results (Instability). Better still if you're able to put a Shadowdancer in there, maybe leading Eternal Guards: he can choose a dance that prevents the opponent from adding his rank bonus, which against undead who are losing is just 3 automatic wounds...

Make sure you have one or two small, cheap units covering your inside flank of your main unit (the one that hit the front of his unit), because otherwise he'll charge into YOUR flank on the next round. If you park a unit of Wardancers, or a Treeman, or even just a Giant Eagle in front of that next unit, though, then he'll be unable to get to your attackers. You'll surely lose this screening unit (though a small unit of Eternal Guard might be able to Stubborn-tank for a few rounds), but it's there to buy time for your killers to finish the job (do the math yourself, but depending on the exact unit match-ups, you should be killing 5-15 core undead per turn, so if the match-up is perfect, you'll be ripping him apart in 2-3 rounds of combat).

Once you've destroyed the unit, reform and swarm onto the next target (which might well be engaged with your speed-bump still, allowing you immediate access to his flank).

Folomo
22-07-2014, 19:52
WE win games not by killing the opposing army, but rather by killing a selected few models, and dancing around until the end of the game, when they win by 200+ VP.
I would say that shadow or death magic are good options too if you are interested into severely weakening a unit. You will kill 2/3 of the unit with a simple purple sun/pit of shades.
In my experience, shooting is extremly innefective against VC, specially if his army consists on blocks of zombies and Grave Guard. The targets you can kill are either cheap as dirt an really numerous or tough and numerous. His healing spells will nullify half the damage you can cause with your arrows.
Sniping his characters and running away, supported with death or shadow magic looks to me like your best option.

SpanielBear
22-07-2014, 22:19
WE win games not by killing the opposing army, but rather by killing a selected few models, and dancing around until the end of the game, when they win by 200+ VP.
I would say that shadow or death magic are good options too if you are interested into severely weakening a unit. You will kill 2/3 of the unit with a simple purple sun/pit of shades.
In my experience, shooting is extremly innefective against VC, specially if his army consists on blocks of zombies and Grave Guard. The targets you can kill are either cheap as dirt an really numerous or tough and numerous. His healing spells will nullify half the damage you can cause with your arrows.
Sniping his characters and running away, supported with death or shadow magic looks to me like your best option.

This may be true of avoidance lists, but you do not need to run avoidance to play wood elves. It can work, but don't be trapped into believing that it is all you can do.

Chicago Slim's advice is good, and is a solid play style.

The absolute key to winning combat with Wood Elves is: Learn to set up multiple charges. One Wood Elf unit, even charging into the rear of the unit, is going to be hard pushed to do sufficient damage to destroy a unit. You need to pile on the hurt, apply a lot of pressure to a focused point. Don't try to win everywhere at once.

Make use of our stubborn units- Eternal Guard, Treemen, war dancers in woods- to pin an enemy in place. Use the speed and manoeuvrability of units like War Hawks, Glade Riders, or the absolute crown of Wood Elf combat: Wild Riders to hit the flanks and rear. Combined, the units are more than the sum of their parts.

As a general rule- enemy unit contains less than 10 wounds, not including characters? Shoot it. Enemy unit contains more than 10 wounds- multi-charge.