PDA

View Full Version : Malekith's Spellshield, question

UlricDarksoul
22-07-2014, 01:29
Here is the issue,

Last Wednesday I played a battle against my brother, classic DE vs HE battle, although with named characters. As a 2250 battle, I gave Malekith a chance, while my brother pick his favorite character: Teclis.

As it was a "low" point battle to include Malekith, I gave him a cold one and attached him into the cold one knights unit.

The issue which gave us conflict is that Teclis casted the first spell of the life lore, d6 impacts F4. I dispelled with Malekith and called the ability of the spellshield. The issue came up with the wording. The item states that If Malekith is the target of the spell, etc etc. now, as the spell was a magic missile, the unit, in which Malekith was part, is the target. Does the spellshield works in this cases, or does it not?

Thanks for your help.

Josfer
22-07-2014, 04:57
I'd say yes.

Blkc57
22-07-2014, 06:52
Off the top of my head I have to agree, if the spell targets Malekith's unit I'd say it targets Malekith as well and would trigger his shield. But I would have to take a closer look at the wording on the item.

UlricDarksoul
23-07-2014, 03:38
Thanks guys, is what I thought. The argument went on for a while, as he got Teclis out of his unit and died on his first magic turn xD

jorgepo
23-07-2014, 18:14
Since you had to take a "Lookout Sir" on the magic missile, it means Malekith was a potential target of the spell. Hence the Spellshield applies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imperator64
23-07-2014, 18:17
Which spell do you mean? If its a spell that targets every model in the unit then he is a target. If it just targets the unit then no, he is not the unit. Casualties are distributed as per shooting which will probably mean he is unaffected.

Warrior of Naggaroth
23-07-2014, 19:14
That causes some problems though, it would for example mean that the spellshield would not work if malekith was in a unit of five, but would work if he was in a unit of four. I'd say that the spellshield works as long as his unit is targeted(and have played it that way in the past without objection).

GrudgeBringer
23-07-2014, 21:00
Since you had to take a "Lookout Sir" on the magic missile, it means Malekith was a potential target of the spell. Hence the Spellshield applies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is amgic missile so you cannot take look out sir since you only get it against templates. If there were more than 5 rank and file models in the unit malekith cannot possibly be hit and you would not get to use the spellshield.

mostlyharmless
23-07-2014, 21:38
If the unit is targeted, then he is also targeted, as characters become part of the unit for all intents and purposes.

Josfer
25-07-2014, 09:46
If the unit is targeted, then he is also targeted, as characters become part of the unit for all intents and purposes.
I'm not decided on how I'd exactly play it, but the rule doesn't say "his unit", but "he".

UlricDarksoul
25-07-2014, 12:58
I'm not decided on how I'd exactly play it, but the rule doesn't say "his unit", but "he".

And that's the issue that brought me here. It should be somewhere in the BRB but it elludes me.