PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 Marienburger mercenaries

20th Century Boy
21-06-2006, 14:35
Following some exploits into Mordheim (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39757), I tried to develop a matching Warhammer force using the Marienburger mercenary Empire list. Here is what I came up with...

1,996 of 2,000 Marienburger mercenaries

Captain 71 Pts
General, Pistol, Heavy Armour, Warhorse
5 Pistoliers 95 Pts
Brace of Pistols, Light Armour, Warhorse

Captain 59 Pts
Pistol, Light Armour
19 Halberdiers 129 Pts
Halberd, Light Armour, Standard, Musician

20 Halberdiers 185 Pts
Halberd, Light Armour, Musician
10 Detachment Halberdiers
Halberd, Light Armour

20 Halberdiers 185 Pts
Halberd, Light Armour, Musician
10 Detachment Halberdiers
Halberd, Light Armour

Captain 59 Pts
Pistol, Light Armour

10 Handgunners 85 Pts
Empire Handgun, Musician

10 Handgunners 85 Pts
Empire Handgun, Musician

10 Handgunners 85 Pts
Empire Handgun, Musician

10 Duellists 100 Pts
Pistol, Musician

10 Duellists 100 Pts
Pistol, Musician

10 Duellists 100 Pts
Pistol, Musician

4 Ogres 164 Pts
Great Weapon

1 Captain 59 Pts
Pistol, Light Armour

1 Great Cannon 100 Pts
3 Crew

1 Mortar 75 Pts
3 Crew

1 Mortar 75 Pts
3 Crew

10 Handgunners 85 Pts
Empire Handgun, Musician

10 Duellists 100 Pts
Pistol, Musician

(184 Models)

metallegion
21-06-2006, 17:25
K... why not just make an empire gunline??

Crazy Harborc
21-06-2006, 19:44
Small units with a 6 armour save won't hold up to well against a shooting army. A enemy with say.....Four 10 man crossbow units can just stand back at 25/26" and pin cushion those no armour save handgunners. Then there's the 6 save halberds, crossbow hits will take care of that. The 10 man duelists won't do well in HtH CRs.

That said, it looks like a fun "what the heck/beer and pretzel army". A lot will depend on the armies you face with it.

20th Century Boy
21-06-2006, 21:47
Well, I know it's a bit heavy on the shooty side, as well as I'm lacking substantial close combat power...

It was a go at the list from my Mordheim ideas, which put me down to four basic unit types - might need some tweaking ;) Other problem I realized was the amount of models I needed to fill out 2,000. I tried to go with 50/50 Halberdiers and others, but an earlier version had 150 Halberdiers in it. Problem is, I like to play with a closed main battle line, and maneuvering a 10-Regiment line is a bit tricky...

I don't mean to build a classical gunline, and I was of the impression that those consisted of Artillery, and Handgunners, which I have, but then of an additional wall of Knights. I thought leaving me vulnerable in the close combat part would counter my strength in shooting. The list seems unbalanced enough to not be cheesy in my eyes. Of course I'm open to arguments in that regards...

Sanjuro
21-06-2006, 22:11
Ach, but where's the magic defense?

Either way, I'd gladly play it. I mean, you seem like a nice enough guy (which is what really matters) but that aside, there's nothing in this army really worth whining about. It's got nothing on a proper gun line, that's just a list that's strong in the shooty department! All those duellists will do a lot of manouvering too, you can't just hang back with them.

I'd love to see beastmen face this army, that would be very interesting. Lots of skirmishers on both sides, beast herds have pretty good protection against shooting, etc. It would probably be a desperate battle on both sides.

Crazy Harborc
22-06-2006, 01:07
Sanjuro is correct, at least one level 1 Wiz ( w/2 Dispel scrolls) is almost a must.

4 units of 10 handgunners in a 2000 point Empire Army isn't too many. Those hand guns are one of the Empires "special deals".

I would (and I do) have a couple of 10 body crossbow units and at least one unit of 20 spearmen (add shields) w/full command.

Read up on the Special Detachment rules, those are a BIG plus for Empire:D

20th Century Boy
22-06-2006, 08:00
The reactions in my group range from too much gunfire to too less hard infantry... I get that a lot... *grins*

Well, the project is a nice exercise anyway - I usually want to see if a narrowly themed army can stand on a Warhammer battlefield. I might need to swap a unit or two for Swordsmen to get more staying power, mobility shouldn't be a problem, and a Battle wizard doesn't hurt. I'll also swap the Great cannon for a couple of Cannons, which I overlooked.

Though technically I will be outgunned by dedicated long range armies, mangled in close combat by heavy cavalry, and be cast into the ground by Magic. The next idea will possibly be better... :)

I'll keep the Beastmen idea in the back of my head, though the only dedicated Beastmen player in my group plays a tourney level Khornate horde, which won't be pretty - but if I can take out his Chariots, Minotaurs and Chaos Knights before he reaches my lines, I might stand a chance...

Crazy Harborc
23-06-2006, 01:05
Enjoy the Big M army. I did one for several games. Unit rotations can leave opponents guessing what exactly will he bring THIS time?;)