PDA

View Full Version : Does a magic bow, firing mundane arrows, count as magical attacks?

ewar
22-07-2014, 23:57
Came up in a game with a waystalker shooting the bow of loren at a HE BSB in a BOTWD unit.

We ruled they didn't count as magical at the time as the Bow of Loren says it can't be used with magic arrows. Out of interest, how are others playing?

3eland
23-07-2014, 00:00
Pretty sure it would say if the attacks are magical or not. So I would say the arrows are mundane.

Also it says the bow is an Asrai longbow with the exception that it also has Multiple shot rule, nothing about magical ammo. Most of the time it says it is magical or not (like Skaven Warpstone Weapons).

Mr_Rose
23-07-2014, 00:51
Uh, guys, magic weapons make magic attacks. There would have to be something that explicitly says the bow doesn't make magic attacks.
The "Enchanted Arrows" (N.B. not "magic arrows") that it can't fire are the ones on p.37 of the wood elf book i.e. specific pieces of wargear, not the general concept of magical shooting.

Imperator64
23-07-2014, 01:25
Absolutely they're magical. I think the magical attacks faq specifies attacks from magic weapons as one of the sources of magical attacks and it IS a magic weapon.

3eland
23-07-2014, 04:22
My bad, I think the wording of "Magical Arrows" got me LOL.
Noted!

ewar
23-07-2014, 12:31
Uh, guys, magic weapons make magic attacks. There would have to be something that explicitly says the bow doesn't make magic attacks.
The "Enchanted Arrows" (N.B. not "magic arrows") that it can't fire are the ones on p.37 of the wood elf book i.e. specific pieces of wargear, not the general concept of magical shooting.

Fair enough, I don't mind either way. The logic at the time was: mundane bow + magic arrows = magic attacks, magic bow + mundane arrows = mundane attacks, we didn't exactly discuss it for long but it's good to hear others thoughts on it.

Chicago Slim
30-07-2014, 01:23
Per the FAQ, shooting attacks made with the Bow of Loren (or any other ranged magic weapon) are magical attacks.

A: All attacks made by spells and magic items are considered to be magical attacks, as are all attacks that are specifically noted as being magical attacks. Shots fired from magical items are also considered to be magical attacks, unless their description specifically states otherwise.

The Bow of Loren notes that it cannot fire enchanted arrows (Hagbane, Trueflight, Hail of Doom, etc). That doesn't change its attacks being magical.

bigbiggles
30-07-2014, 06:50
All shots fired from a magic weapon are magic attacks. The wood elf enchanted arrows are just another way to get magic attacks