PDA

View Full Version : Please help with WHFB HE 1250 point list. Lost newbie here.

Dkrewe
23-07-2014, 03:32
So I am brand new to the game. Have never even played a single game. I am not even fully finished putting together the last of my models (will explain more below). My friends are running Dwarven and Skaven lists to play with me as we all learn the game. I am clueless as to how to put together a good 1250 list for my starting army. Here is what I have for units so far (with options to buy a few more as needed):

Isle of Blood box had:

x1 Griffon with Prince/noble riding it
x1 Mage
x10 Lothern Sea Guard
x10 Sword Masters of Hoeth
x5 Ellyrian Reavers

I then bought:

x10 Shadow Warriors
x5 Dragon Princes

And the battle box came with (haven't even assembled them yet because of certain model choices):

x1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
x1 Tiranoc Chariot OR x1 Lion Chariot of Chrace (choice 1)
x20 Spearmen or Lothern Sea Guard (choice 2)
x20 Archers

Any recommendations/advice/tips etc would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you :-)

ModernKiwi
23-07-2014, 04:00
That Prince/Noble on a Griffin is going to be at least 220 of your points. Are you sure you want that much tied up in your general?

I use lots of Lothern Sea Guard when I take on Skaven - haven't ever taken on dwarves mind you.

Swordmasters with the Banner of the World Dragon will make the little ratty b'stards very unhappy too.

Dkrewe
23-07-2014, 04:08
Well I am a newbie so I was staring at my beautiful model and thinking how great it would be to throw him at my enemies....but like you said he is very expensive.

I am not sure who else to make my general.

ModernKiwi
23-07-2014, 04:11
Yes it's a lovely model alright. Since you're only starting out, how about assemble one of your Dragon Princes and call that one your prince/noble/general? Steed with barding is only 20% of the cost of your Griffin and still keeps him highly mobile.

Dkrewe
23-07-2014, 04:18
I have my Dragon Princes assembled (they aren't the ones with touch choices such as spearmen vs lothern sea guards or the two chariot types).

Would the Dragon Armor and Barding etc that comes standard on those models be enough to keep my General alive, or should I be looking at magic armor etc?

This frees up a lot of points and makes my choices even more difficult! So much to choose from!!

Would buying some Phoenix Guard be useful or not yet?

ModernKiwi
23-07-2014, 04:27
I dunno about the Phoenix Guard - I've had a box of them for the past two years and not yet assembled them, let alone used them. I just love my Swordmasters too much. 30 x Slice'n'dice-masters hand out a lot of pain.

As for your general and armour/magic, I'd take a look at some of the other HE lists in this section as they'll give you some ideas on which combo is the most cost effective for the points.

EvanM
23-07-2014, 05:41
lothern sea guard from the main kit do not look like the ones you make from spearmen. If you play some battles with this list, run it as 30 LSG and just put those spearmen behind these guys.

dragon princes are awesome.

archers are your bunker for that mage.

TheItalian567
24-07-2014, 18:34
So I am brand new to the game. Have never even played a single game. I am not even fully finished putting together the last of my models (will explain more below). My friends are running Dwarven and Skaven lists to play with me as we all learn the game. I am clueless as to how to put together a good 1250 list for my starting army. Here is what I have for units so far (with options to buy a few more as needed):

Isle of Blood box had:

x1 Griffon with Prince/noble riding it
x1 Mage
x10 Lothern Sea Guard
x10 Sword Masters of Hoeth
x5 Ellyrian Reavers

I then bought:

x10 Shadow Warriors
x5 Dragon Princes

And the battle box came with (haven't even assembled them yet because of certain model choices):

x1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
x1 Tiranoc Chariot OR x1 Lion Chariot of Chrace (choice 1)
x20 Spearmen or Lothern Sea Guard (choice 2)
x20 Archers

Any recommendations/advice/tips etc would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you :-)

Dkrew!

WELCOME TO THE GAME!! You are most welcome.

Lets start at the top- Lord on a Griffin? I'm doing it because I'm insane, but you could just as easily count it as a Prince on a GREAT EAGLE (just say, "hey this counts as a great eagle" which should be fine for friendly games). That's 100 pts cheaper (I think) but you still get a beast of a mount with a lot of mobility. What I've seen is using that Prince to flank with your Dragon Princes (DP). They hit the front, you mop up the sides- but don't be fooled, that prince can do a forward charge with no problem. Give the Prince Cloak of Beards against Dwarves- it's fun and makes them mad, trust me.

The mage would be a great in those archers for a nice little "bunker" as EvanM pointed out (Bunker meaning a safe place for him to stand away from the combat)

The LSG/Spearmen argument comes down to whichever you want to use. With LSG, you're looking at a bit more, point wise, but I love the models (which you can say are actually spearmen), the fluff and their utlity. Just realize their bows have a 24" range, meaning they can shoot, without penalty at 12" where as the archers have 30"

I really like the LSGs, and if you're against Skaven that extra shooting is going to be beautiful. Also, Swordmasters are going to burn down skavens like nothing. Put that Banner of the World Dragon and just buzz through stuff.

With your LSG, Lord, Mage, DPs and Sword Masters, you're going to be about strapped for points. Look at what youv'e got left and add accordingly. I'd add the archers, bolt thrower, or the reavers, whichever you can fit. Since your Mage will be further away, consider Shadow or Life magic. High Magic works better in a block of say Phoenix Guard due to the range.

In a point list this small, you won't benefit from the chariots as much as you would other units I'd say.

Go with what you like the look of first, go out and LOSE some games. You'll find out what you like and is useful faster. "well, those swordmasters weren't that great." Whatever it takes to give you the experience to make your own changes! :) You're on the right path!