PDA

View Full Version : Two Friendly Units - Reforming after Combat within 1" of each other

b4z
23-07-2014, 23:35
Two friendly units charge a single enemy unit [in its front arc].

The enemy unit is wiped out in combat.

The two friendly units both choose to reform.

[They obviously start within 1" of each other because they were in combat side by side.]

Regarding the reform...

A] are they Okay to still be within 1" of each other at the end of their Reform. [the end] [Because they are not moving within 1" of each other, they already started within 1"]

B] are they Okay to still be within 1" of each other, whilst choosing their desired direction and formation, and then be nudged apart by the minimum amount to maintain a 1" gap at the end of their Reform [the end]

C] are they forced to be 1" apart, and must use their Reform moves to provide/create the 1" gap, and so must focus most of their attention of creating/providing the 1" gap, over and above choosing their desired direction and formation (which in this forced 1" apart scenario would restrict these possibilities a great deal.) [the end]

I am interested in how people play this...
Which of these situations is satisfactory for you as a player?

Sexiest_hero
23-07-2014, 23:37
Just use what ever is least advantage to you or roll off. It's such a small issue it's not worth any heated arguments.

b4z
24-07-2014, 10:43
I would say that the reforms the two units make are of critical importance, both to what happens in the enemy's upcoming player turn, and their subsequent player turn.

The two friendly units position, formation, and facing are very important for many reasons, the main two of which are:

Unit Arcs, where their Front/Flank/Rear are [after their Reform] in relation to being Charged in the upcoming Enemies Charge Phase - and their next player turn for both Unit's possible Charges.
Charge Distances, the distance between them and any enemy units nearby [after their Reform] in relation to being Charged and making possible Charges.

Neither of those two are small issues in a game of Warhammer! :D

Therefore i am trying to understand the way people see this situation, of Two Units that are within 1" of each other due to Charging, and their Reform manoeuvres, and the 1" Apart Rule.

theunwantedbeing
24-07-2014, 11:00
As the 1" rule isn't a strict thing and you merely need some degree of separation to tell units apart the answer would be A, reform and if they're still within 1" of each other it doesn't really matter.

T10
24-07-2014, 17:14
Two friendly units charge a single enemy unit [in its front arc].

The enemy unit is wiped out in combat.

The two friendly units both choose to reform.

[They obviously start within 1" of each other because they were in combat side by side.]

Regarding the reform...

A] are they Okay to still be within 1" of each other at the end of their Reform. [the end] [Because they are not moving within 1" of each other, they already started within 1"]

B] are they Okay to still be within 1" of each other, whilst choosing their desired direction and formation, and then be nudged apart by the minimum amount to maintain a 1" gap at the end of their Reform [the end]

C] are they forced to be 1" apart, and must use their Reform moves to provide/create the 1" gap, and so must focus all their attention of creating/providing the 1" gap, over and above choosing their desired direction and formation (which in this forced 1" apart scenario would restrict these possibilities a great deal.) [the end]

I am interested in how people play this...
Which of these situations is satisfactory for you as a player?

It is perfectly permissible to nudge units away from each other to re-establish the 1" apart rule. It is not required, but is allowed for "purposes of clarity". This pretty much means that either player can claim "uh, dififcult to see what's going on!" and off you go a-nudgin'.

However, when performing a reform, you have to adhere to the 1" apart rule. If your new formation doesn't fit, then it is not a legal formation.

So...

A) No.

B) No.

C) No, they are not forced apart (see above), but if either should reform they should do so legally, i.e. by creating a gap at least 1" away from the other unit.

b4z
24-07-2014, 23:41
Here is a diagram i have made...

C) No, they are not forced apart (see above), but if either should reform they should do so legally, i.e. by creating a gap at least 1" away from the other unit.

In my options, [C] doesn't say they are forced apart, it says they are forced to be 1" apart by the end of their Reform, and so as part of their Reform they must factor that in. [i could have worded it better yes]

In which case, you are saying [C] is the correct method. That... If they both reform, by the end of both of their reforms they must be 1" apart.

Which means as part of their reforms you must factor the 1" Apart when conducting the reforms and coming to final position/facing and formation of each unit.
(Which obviously adds limitations to the possibilities of the reforms you can conduct.)

If both of their final positions/facings and formations after their Reforms mean the two units are not 1" apart, you are saying its an illegal reform.

------------------------------

There are, for example, opinions that [A] and [B] are completely legal.

the rules don't force you to move out of 1", once you are legally in (such as in the example, charging). Only thing is that if you move out, you cannot move in again (except again with another exempted move, like another charge)

and also this concept...

Immediately as combat ends you push them 1" apart. Then they do their reforms.

units are nudged 1" apart as soon as combat ends, then they may reform as usual, not coming within 1" of one another.

HurrDurr
28-07-2014, 05:09
Not too sure on the rules but as far as the diagram goes I'd accept B or C, the 1" rule is really weird, and since you started within 1" the reform doesn't change that, and by the second reform you fix it with the nudge, I know that's my personal opinion. T10 might know an exact rule somewhere against that. (but I'd still allow it because the spirit of the game nonsense)