PDA

View Full Version : Monster Hunting wood elves

Adohan
28-07-2014, 10:09
Hey Guys

As I have be told I cannot run hagbane Tips in my army twice and the Banner of the eternal flame does not stack with the arrows as well.

I am looking at thoughts on how to kill fly regen monsters using wood elves, as they always, normal range attack turn one and charged my Glade Guard turn two.

This is the list I have been running.
Lord
Spellweaver lvl 4 (High), (Dispell scroll, Iron curse Ideal, Tailsman of Preservation) or ( Crown of command, Tailsman of ... 5+ wards), have been running the first but tempted by the second at the moment

Heros
Branchwrath
Waystaker, bow of loren

Core
12 Glade Guard, Hagbane tips - Waystaker
12 Glade Guard, Hagbane tips, standard, Banner of the internal Flame.
5 Glade Riders, Swiftshards, Champion

Special
5 Wardancer
5 Wardancer
3 War Hawk Riders
20 Wildwood Rangers, CMS, Glemming Pendent - Wizard bunker
5 TreeKin - Branchwrath

Rare
6 Waywatchers
8 Waywatchers

Wesser
28-07-2014, 10:41
You can run Hagbane Arrows as much as you damn well desire...

I wouldn't run Crown of Command in a Wood Elf army at all. If you are taking break tests it's because your elves are dying in droves, which means that soon you won't have a unit to take tests with. Also when you can't build a durable character to wear it anyway.....

Anyway bunkering your Wizard in a combat unit seems a bit shaky too. I'd put her with the Glade Guard

Lastly Treekin don't benefit much from having a Branchwraith attached as you'll have either Dwellers, Flesh to Stone or Earthblood on a Branchwraith. If you got Dwellers you'll likely be 6-dicing (and thus not wanting to be in a unit at all) and the other two spells benefit the Wildwood Rangers a whole lot more

Adohan
28-07-2014, 11:06
Thanks for the advice, So you do not come doen on the arrows are magical items and can only be take once agreement.

I was running high magic for the wound counters on my wildwoods, but if I move the mage to be hiding in the glade guard block am I better of pick a new lore. I have used shadow before with my high elves so now that is a good lore but from memory the range is a short on most of there spell to hide at the back of the board.

General army advise aside any ideas for kill fly regen monsters, as if I move my mage in to my glade guard, it will just attracked them more.

Wesser
28-07-2014, 11:20
You can try some Starfire Arrows against regen or put the Banner of Eternal Flame on some Wild Riders.

As for the Arrows are magic items/enchanted items debacle it says explicitly in the book (in the Armoury section) that neither of those apply.

Arrows are an OPTION that just happen to provide magical attacks. No different from options likes shields, command groups etc.

Wesser
28-07-2014, 11:20
You can try some Starfire Arrows against regen or put the Banner of Eternal Flame on some Wild Riders.

As for the Arrows are magic items/enchanted items debacle it says explicitly in the book (in the Armoury section) that neither of those apply.

Arrows are an OPTION that just happen to provide magical attacks. No different from options likes shields, command groups etc.

Adohan
28-07-2014, 11:58
Thanks, I will try those ideas.

What your view on the Dark Magic Lore?

Azmodian
28-07-2014, 15:40
Depends on what your goal of play style is, if you want avoidance than I would dump all core into Glade Riders, Bunker the level 4/3/2/1 in a unit of sisters or war dancers, Take some glade scouts, 1 point extra is worth it over the glade guard as they move 10".

As for the double enchanted arrow... Slap the person who says you cannot do that as the ARMY BOOK trumps the Rulebook when it comes to the magical enchantment argument. It is not a magical points pool to buy from, it is a UNIT upgrade. So if you want to kill monsters. Drop 50 poisoned shots into all the monsters you want.

Until a FAQ comes out for the waystalker I would hold off on the bow of loren, I find it hard to believe you would get grief over the hagbane and not the Bow...

Best of luck mate.

boli
28-07-2014, 21:56
If your groups is moaning about multiple arrow types them bring this:

You can choose the type of forest you place, so poison attack forest plus 30 horde of multishot arrows with high weaver casting hand of glory = 60 poisoned attacks which hit on a 2+.

Have fun.

Tae
28-07-2014, 22:07
If your groups is moaning about multiple arrow types them bring this:

You can choose the type of forest you place, so poison attack forest plus 30 horde of multishot arrows with high weaver casting hand of glory = 60 poisoned attacks which hit on a 2+.

Have fun.

Venom Thickets are poisoned CC attacks only.

Azmodian
29-07-2014, 19:34
Venom Thickets are poisoned CC attacks only.

What he said = sad day

PaulGreatrix
29-07-2014, 20:04
Wood Elves have an awesome combo for killing monsters. Simply have a reasonable sized unit of Glade Guard take the starfire arrows, and also come rocking a Fire caster (preferably L4). Cast the Flaming Sword of Rhuin spell on the glade guard then proceed to shoot dead any monster you like. Starfire arrows are better than the old S4 shots the glade guard got in the old book, because at strength 4 youre still wounding monsters on 6s. Instead, starfire's +1 to wound means you're hitting those big bastards of 5's, ragardless of how tough they are. And the Flaming Sword of Rhuin will gift your shooters and further +1 AND flaming, which means you'll be wounding these monters on a mere 4. Its so easy to execute too. Just cast 1 little spell and BAM. I played a 3-way battle a while back and in 2 turns shot dead a Hellpit Abomination and a Lord of Change wil 1 unit of 20 glade guard. I played the same Skaven player the following week and he brought 2 Hellpits. So I shot them dead in as many turns too.

bigbiggles
30-07-2014, 09:45
What is this way stalker + BoL debate? This is the first I've heard of a problem

Adohan
30-07-2014, 12:40
I do not know, I just know that it does not stack with the hawk eyed multi shot. As the bow gives you multi-shoot(A+1) and Hawk eyed archer gives you multi shoot(2), which do not stack.

But I run it for 2 multi shoots from the bow and armour ignoring from the hawked eyed for sniping shoots for hunting BSB and unit chanpoins out of units.

russellmoo
30-07-2014, 16:10
Also if the problem is just dealing with flying monsters you could always take the pidgeon plucker pendant on a character and use him as a sort of monster bate. It won't kill the monster but should lock him up long enough for the rest of the army to do its thing.