PDA

View Full Version : mordheim help!

TanithScout
21-06-2006, 20:29
hey everyone,
I'm soon going to be involved in a mordheim league, and im fairly new to the game. My warband is undead and im hving quite a few problems deciding on what to take, obviously my heros are no brainers, but its the henchmen that are the ones im stuck on

now the league starts out at 500gc
obviously my vampire is the first im including, and i think ill just equip her with a sword

next would be my necromancer with similar close combat

now, how many dregs is a nice number? i included 3 in my test game each with hammers and they performed quite well.

now, its the henchmen that im stuck with

in my demo, my dire wolf did great, and the speedy-ness puts pressure on the enemy right away. but at 50gc each, and my desire to take two, is that too much of an investment??

my next problem is the ghouls vs zombies. ghouls gain experiance, ghouls can run, ghouls have a better initiative as well as attack.

however zombies are nice fodder type units to bog down the enemy, no to mention i get 2 zombies for every ghoul

how would you set up an initial warband, ghouls or zombies or mix of both and what ratio? im new to the game so i really have no clue

thanks for any advice!

McMullet
21-06-2006, 20:44
Your heroes sound just right. Not too much equipment, and as many of them as you can get.

For the henchmen, getting numbers is an important factor, because the smaller your warband is, the sooner you have to take rout tests. Plus, you get to use your zombies as fodder, as you say, to take missile fire and charges.

Personally, I would have zombies outnumbering my other henchmen 2 to 1 or so. If you don't have the coin, then take more Zombies.

Without Ghouls, the Vampire will be doing most of the killing, until your dregs get a few advances. However, don't underestimate zombies, they have good staying power and eventually they'll hurt something!

TanithScout
21-06-2006, 21:55
thanks for the advice!

how does this look as a starting out list?

Vampire 110gcs
sword 10gc

Necromancer 35gc
double handed weapon 15gc

Dreg 1 20gc
hammer 3gc

dreg 2 20gc
hammer 3gc

dreg 3 20gc
mace 3gc

Dire wolf 1 50gc

ghoul 1 40gc

ghoul 2 40gc

9x zombies 135gc

(504)

im working on another one with 2 dire wolves. that one usually leads to only havinh 1 ghoul, is taking 1 ghoul even worth taking or if im that low on ghouls should i jsut put points into more zombies?

McMullet
21-06-2006, 22:24
9 zombies... now that's a warband that can cause fear. :p

A single ghoul is still useful, he's still good back up for your Vampire.

To be honest, 9 zombies is a lot and, without wanting wanting to go back on my previous post, I reckon you could maybe drop one or two. Also, the double-handed weapon for your necromancer is a waste (this guy is useful out of combat, but highly mediocre in it!), so maybe just give him a club or something - that frees a few GC for another wolf or ghoul.

TanithScout
22-06-2006, 00:15
haha , that is alot of zombies, and i realized after i had posted that, why the flip would my nec be fighting, he should be throwing death bolts. anyhoo, i made a second list and i think its pretty sound

Vampire 110gc
sword 10gc

Necromancer 35gc
hammer 3gc

Dreg 1 20gc
hammer 3gc

Dreg 2 20gc
hammer 3gc

Dreg 3 20gc
mace 3gc

6x zombies 105

ghoul 1 40gc

ghoul 2 40gc

2x dire wolves 100gc

Alco Engineer
22-06-2006, 01:08
Looks good.

I've just started an undead warband myself.

I gave my vampire light armour, a sheild and a halberd. this way he could handle a little shooting before chopping stuff up in hand to hand.

I equiped my necromancer just like yours and I only took 2 dregs. each had either 2 maces or a hammer and a mace. I thought I'd leave at least 1 hero spot free (which was lucky because I got a "that boy's got talent" for my ghoul who's now a t5 hero!)

I started with 3 ghouls, 3 zombies and 2 dire wolves. If you're starting out most warbands will be small so don't put all your points in zombies that will take up room for expansion.

From my first game my Dire wolves were pretty good, but faced their match against a chaos hound. they're nasty but not great. I'd try and use both of them together, possibly to back up the vampire.

ZOmbies are great at tying up enemies. I had 1 against a darkelf warrior for 4 turns and because they don't get stunned kept getting up. They are slow and that can really be a pain (we did the street fight where you have to get to the other side of the board and they were just left for dead (pun intended)

I found the T4 on the ghouls was a big advantage in the early game as bows were having a hard time hurting them.

AT the end of the day it's your first campaign, you can't expect to be the top cookie when you've barely played before. have fun and you'll soon find what you like.

TanithScout
22-06-2006, 01:14
i could chock off a few zombies to get more wargear, infact one 15 point zombie would cover doube weapons for my dregs.

we have 2 chaos players in the campaign, so ill expect hounds. i love the wolves, they were great, so im happy with my 2. i definatly wanted a bit of a hoarde, seeing as we are the undead. ill toy around with it.

Quin 242
22-06-2006, 01:50
I give My undead warband max heros...
Vamp w/ Heavy armor, sword, dagger, bow 180gc
Necro w/ bow, mace and dagger 48gc
2 Dregs w/ mace, dagger, and bows 66gc (2X33)
1 dreg w/ dagger and bow (30)

And then fillout with additional bodies.
3 Zombies 60 Gc
2 ghouls 80 Gc
1 Dire Wolf 50 Gc
It might seems that the bows are wasted on the Dregs but once in a while they will get a shot. Might need sixes but when you do roll it you feel pretty good about it. Plus they advance quickly and having bought a short bow to save Gc's initially you'l be hating the wasted $$ later when you want to upgrade. That extra 8 inches is another charge move that you can be shooting in.

The Vamp is USUALLY charging alongside the Dire wolf but sometimes it pays to sit still in cover and take a shot at an opponent that just moved into range.
There will be a couple Zombies added after the first couple games unless I need to replace some bodies.

I chose the heavy armor on the Vamp right off cause losing this guy is just the end of your warband. Trying to replace one is a killer. It's helped on more than one occasion. So few people expect armor on the board that it's handy to take it once in a while.

Gen.Steiner
22-06-2006, 02:06
Sorry to rain on people's parades, but Mordheim Undead warbands can have a maximum of 15 models.

I go for a Vampire in heavy armour with sword, shield and helmet, a Necromancer with sword, three dregs (bows and axes) and then ten Zombies. Total - 499 gc or thereabouts, and it'll outnumber every other warband in the game for the beginning of the campaign.

15 models also gives you a maxed-out warband, while your Vampire is now incredibly hard - and ten Zombies is a lot of fear. The Dregs run protection for your Necromancer, taking pot-shots at open targets and using their axes (-1 armour save is not to be sniffed at!) to defend the Necromancer with their twisted lives! :D

TanithScout
22-06-2006, 02:54
is armor really worth it in the mordheim setting?

Alco Engineer
22-06-2006, 03:13
I see it as a bonus for you Vampire. I wouldn't bother with anyone else but even if you don't get it on criticals, its still handy to keep you leader alive. I wouldn't bother for other people in the army but for the VC it'd be a nice piece of mind.

As for maxing out on zombies from the start, I'd rather take a few more Ghouls and allow them to get some experience as they went along. that'd be the my preferred tactic. Plus as you go along, you'll want to spend some of the money you're earning. no point spending it on zombies that can't upgrade and take up all your room to expand the warband.

TanithScout
22-06-2006, 03:23
Vampire 110gc
heavy armor 50gc
sword 10gc

Necromancer 35gc
hammer 3gc

Dreg 20gc
hammer and mace 6gc

Dreg 20gc
hammer and mace 6gc

Dreg 20gc
hammer and mace 6gc

2x dire wolves 100

2x ghouls 80

2x zombies

theres a revised list with a bit more equipment. im unsure about that armor, it eats up a whole ghoul or a mess of zombies.

Alco Engineer
22-06-2006, 03:31
That's why I took light armour and a sheild. Its a bit cheaper and still gives you a save against shooting (which is my main concern).

I'd drop the last Dreg and either buy another Ghoul and another zombie, or just some more zombies.

TanithScout
22-06-2006, 04:08
vampire 110gc
sword 10gc
shield 5gc
light armor 20gc

Necromancer 35gc
sword 10gc

Dreg 20gc
hammer and mace 6gc

Dreg 20gc
hammer and mace 6gc

(242)

2x dire wolves 100gc

2x ghouls 80gc

5x zombies 75gc

thats pretty nice, its still a high number of models, 2 dregs to help the vamp and get exp, same number for ghouls, and then 5 bodies to throw at the enemy

Alco Engineer
22-06-2006, 04:18
I like it!

At the end of the day it'll all depend on how you play and who you play. You've got a good starting gang though, so you're off on the right foot.

Good luck!

Quin 242
22-06-2006, 04:37
Heros are your bread and butter.. they make you the $$ to start with. Less than allowed is just asking for a harder time to advance.

Take all the heros you have the allotment for at the start. If any are taken out they can't get wyrdstone so the more you have the better off you are...

Also take bows when possible. That one lucky shot from 24" is much better than waiting for a whole stack of skaven to rumble up and unleash slings at you at 9". If you have no missile weapons you will get picked apart by those bands that do. They can move back and still shoot as you advance. Like I said before.. those BS 2 dregs might not hit the broad side of a barn now, but after an advance or two they will be worth having. If your Necromancer doesn't get an attack type spell then having him with a bow will help him stay out of HtH which is where you do NOT want him.

And I agree on taking a couple ghouls at the start is a better idea than gobs of zombies... The ghouls will advance with Exp. so each game they partake in makes them better. Zombies NEVER get better and you can replace them at a moments notice with only 15 GC.

TanithScout
22-06-2006, 04:50
mmk, ao bows are my friend. ill re do my list in the am. thanks for all the help guys!!

TanithScout
22-06-2006, 18:23
mmk, heres my revised list

Vampire 110gc
light armor 20gc
shield 5gc
sword 10gc

necromancer 35gc
bow 10gc

dreg 20gc
hammer and mace 6gc

dreg 20gc
hammer and mace 6gc

dreg 20gc
bow 10gc

2x dire wolves 100gc

2x ghouls 80gc

3x zombies 45gc

Quin 242
22-06-2006, 18:51
Still think you could get some more bows in there but it's your list. Your choice. As you play you will get the hang of it.

Two Dire wolves for 100Gc, and they don't even get experience, just seems like a REAL deep investment. I run one next to my vamp to give him company and a meat shield but he generally doesn't need more help than that. and 50 Gc in zombies and gear might make up for that ONE attack you get from the extra Dire Wolf (well two on a charge) but if there are any things left alive... or if the enemy has spears...

TanithScout
22-06-2006, 20:03
yeah, it is a rather excessive investment i realized

vampire 110gc
light armor 20gc
shield 5gc
sword 10gc

Necromancer 35gc
bow 10gc

Dreg 20gc
hammer 3gc
bow 10gc