PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good Orcs and Goblin list?

PaulGreatrix
02-08-2014, 22:05
I want to start a Greenskin army, but ive rarely even played against them. Heres my list. Is it any good?

Heroes

Great Orc Shaman L4
Talisman of protection

Night Goblin Shaman L2
Dispell scroll

Orc BSB
Armour of Silvered Steel

Snagla Gobspit

Goblin Boss riding Wolf (3)

Core

30 Savage Orc big uns (64)
Extra hand weapons

49 Night Goblin Archers (77)
3 Fanatics

13 Spider Riders (Deff Creepers)
Spears

Special

22 Black Orcs
No shields (is this wise?)
Banner of discipline

6 Trolls

5 Squig Hoppers (for specifically charging fast cav)

Rare

2 Mangler Squigs

2 Doom Divers

EvanM
02-08-2014, 22:31
units of savage orcs and black orcs work better if they are around 40 men, 30 for black orcs would be my minimum at this pts level

bigbiggles
03-08-2014, 08:55
Make the orc shaman a savage and give him the lucky shrunken head. Also, more orcs

DrMooreFlava
03-08-2014, 22:53
BSB should be a black orc (with armor of destiny IMO) and go in the savages with the savage orc shaman + shrunken head. That way they don't fail frenzy tests and get a wardsave which will also help if the black orc kills some guys when you fail animosity. Fencers blades are also good on the savage shaman cuz then he will be putting out a ton of attacks too. I'd drop the talisman of protection because the 5+ from the shrunken head is way better.

Personally I don't like goblin archers, they seem out of place in a combat list like yours and their 18" range is laughable.

And yes, more bodies in the black orcs and more in the savages. 10 more per unit. You could also use more trolls because 8 (4x2) is a much harder unit to handle than 6.

Drop the special character unless you really really like him.

Chariots and spear chukkas are very useful for orcs and goblins too so if you've got the models you might like em.

EvanM
03-08-2014, 22:58
Moar orcs!! Bring 60-80 in a unit!

DrMooreFlava
03-08-2014, 23:01
Better have a blorc, it'd be hilarious to see 80 orcs squable.

EvanM
03-08-2014, 23:17
80 orcs with shields and full command come to something like 600 pts. That's your core points for ya!

PaulGreatrix
04-08-2014, 04:20
BSB should be a black orc (with armor of destiny IMO) and go in the savages with the savage orc shaman + shrunken head. That way they don't fail frenzy tests and get a wardsave which will also help if the black orc kills some guys when you fail animosity. Fencers blades are also good on the savage shaman cuz then he will be putting out a ton of attacks too. I'd drop the talisman of protection because the 5+ from the shrunken head is way better.

Personally I don't like goblin archers, they seem out of place in a combat list like yours and their 18" range is laughable.

And yes, more bodies in the black orcs and more in the savages. 10 more per unit. You could also use more trolls because 8 (4x2) is a much harder unit to handle than 6.

Drop the special character unless you really really like him.

Chariots and spear chukkas are very useful for orcs and goblins too so if you've got the models you might like em.

I like that combo. The big problem I have is that thw shaman is my general and only L8. I want to have him in the same unit as the standard of discipline, but savages cant take a magic banner, and if I have the bsb take it, he cant wear magical armour. Any suggestions towards this?

DrMooreFlava
04-08-2014, 04:51
I like that combo. The big problem I have is that thw shaman is my general and only L8. I want to have him in the same unit as the standard of discipline, but savages cant take a magic banner, and if I have the bsb take it, he cant wear magical armour. Any suggestions towards this?

I just chance it, as an O&G general, I expect things to go very wrong from time to time.

Ramius4
04-08-2014, 05:51
I just chance it, as an O&G general, I expect things to go very wrong from time to time.

And THAT my friends... Is how you can tell a real O&G player from a pretender :D

I'm with DrMooreFlava. Don't try to micro manage your army too much. As a general rule of thumb, you can't go wrong with BIG blocks of Orcs or Gobbos. You've got a BSB, and an 8Ld General, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Kirth
04-08-2014, 06:00

It all adds to the flavor. Lead like an orc. Throw everything in, throw everything forward. I wish I had kept my O&G from years ago.

bigbiggles
04-08-2014, 07:41
And remember to waaaagggghhh before it is too late. Or don't, it does not do much this edition

EvanM
04-08-2014, 07:45
80 vanilla orcs with shields in one unit. oh you want to dwellers me? whatever i still have lots of guys left. lol

PaulGreatrix
04-08-2014, 14:53
Has anyone had much success with goblin heroes on gigantic spiders? I fancy running two of them; and have them get in amongst the enemy, and mini-hammer into the flanks of existing combats. Any thoughts?

EvanM
05-08-2014, 22:13
There should just be a giant spider riding monstrous cavalry unit...

Kirth
05-08-2014, 23:11
I like to see themes with O&G, back in the day I had so many models I could pull most of it off. Nowadays if I were to still have my collection and access to newer models I would do several things.

Night goblin horde with full compliment of netters, fanatics, squigs, trolls, and maybe a giant.

Common goblins with 2-3 large blocks of infantry, smaller blocks of archers, wolf riders, chariots, and as many other war machines as can be mustered, maybe again trolls/giant.

Savage Orcs of all kinds paired with forest goblins, arachnarok spiders, forest goblins on gigantic spiders, and again (broken record) trolls/giant(s).

Lastly the commoners, boyz, arrer boyz, boar boyz, lots of chariots, a smattering of warmachines all with orc bullies, and a giant or two.

Having enough models that you could field every flavor in a huge game, that is the sign of a dedicated warboss. When I still had my collection of O&G I could pull all it off except the savages. This was well before the plastic set for them.

PaulGreatrix
08-08-2014, 09:34

I saw 3 bosses on gigantic spiders at a tourny recently, running together as a unit. Looked so cool.

sephiroth87
08-08-2014, 17:29
You can build it different ways, but I think the best list works best as a Dwarf list painted green. Double Rock Lobba, double Doom Diver, double Manglers, double pumpwagons, 3-6 Spear Chukkas, Orc Shaman throwing the Foot of Gork, Black Orc general to mitigate animosity, and a big unit of night goblins or savage orc big uns, and a goblin BSB toting the Spider Banner. It's boring, but it works.

Kirth
08-08-2014, 17:36
You can build it different ways, but I think the best list works best as a Dwarf list painted green. Double Rock Lobba, double Doom Diver, double Manglers, double pumpwagons, 3-6 Spear Chukkas, Orc Shaman throwing the Foot of Gork, Black Orc general to mitigate animosity, and a big unit of night goblins or savage orc big uns, and a goblin BSB toting the Spider Banner. It's boring, but it works.

I'm planning a common goblin version, damn all the consequences! 2 Large blocks of common gobbos, 2 large groups of wolf riders, 3 groups of 2 wolf chariots, 6 spear chukkas, 2 rock lobbers and the flatulent gob himself, Grom leading the way. Possibly a smattering of trolls and giants.

EvanM
08-08-2014, 23:32
Themed Ong lists are pretty cool to see on the field.

If it was my army i'd do all common orcs, chariots, 2 big units of boar boys and 1 black orc unit in the middle. Maybe common gobbs with boys or just orc bowmen but I don't like trolls giants or that stuff.

Mainly i'd love to see a unit of 15-20 boar boys on the field to see what that's like

DrMooreFlava
10-08-2014, 00:50
It all adds to the flavor. Lead like an orc. Throw everything in, throw everything forward. I wish I had kept my O&G from years ago.

My savages used to have a banner that was free hand painted with the words "Get In There!" spelled out.

DrMooreFlava
10-08-2014, 00:57
And THAT my friends... Is how you can tell a real O&G player from a pretender :D

I'm with DrMooreFlava. Don't try to micro manage your army too much. As a general rule of thumb, you can't go wrong with BIG blocks of Orcs or Gobbos. You've got a BSB, and an 8Ld General, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for vouching for me ;)

As it happens, I live in Mpls. Do you game at any great shops in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area?

In my experience, suburbs have the largest stores/gaming groups due to the price of renting space (with wall space and room for multiple tables) and surburbs seem to be where the market is based (teens with upper-middle class parents). I spend most my time in the Minnetonka area at phoenix games (highway 101 and Minnetonka Blvd) and Dreamers (Texas ave and Minnetonka Blvd).

PaulGreatrix
10-08-2014, 09:50
My plan was to draw my savs and black orc blocks in the middle, bating a fight, with my night goblin tarpit lined up against any opposing knights on the flanks. Id send out my chaff hunters (3 goblin heroes on wolves, and hoppers for charging fast cav) so my fanatics and manglers wont get negated. Then, as the battlines drew towards one another, drop my 2 manglers in the middle of the battlefield and just leave them there. It leaves my opponant with an impossible dilemma; charge through the manglers and inflict all that damage, or waste time trying to negotiate around them while getting whacked with doom divers and foot of gork. Thats what I invision anyway. This sound plausable to anyone?

Banville
10-08-2014, 10:04
Most people will put their knights down last and fairly centrally. If you want your goblins to face off against knights, you may want to take that into account.

Also, your mangles will get shot/magicked. Everyone haaaaates mangler squigs. Be prepared for that.

And the old adage that the best battle plans only maintain until first contact with an enemy still holds true.

Keep something relatively hitty 'in reserve' to deal with unexpected events. Boar boys are a good unit to plug a hole but they are expensive.

PaulGreatrix
10-08-2014, 11:03
My plan was to draw my savs and black orc blocks in the middle, bating a fight, with my night goblin tarpit lined up against any opposing knights on the flanks. Id send out my chaff hunters (3 goblin heroes on wolves, and hoppers for charging fast cav) so my fanatics and manglers wont get negated. Then, as the battlines drew towards one another, drop my 2 manglers in the middle of the battlefield and just leave them there. It leaves my opponant with an impossible dilemma; charge through the manglers and inflict all that damage, or waste time trying to negotiate around them while getting whacked with doom divers and foot of gork. Thats what I invision anyway. This sound plausable to anyone?

PaulGreatrix
10-08-2014, 11:09
Yeah, shooty guys are a threat, thats why I have so many chaff hunters. As well as the goblins on wolves and hoppers,I have 2 goblin boss's on gigantic spiders to act as mini hammers and engage archers. Im also gonna try running the deff creepers, to drop behind enemy lines and act as a plan B.