PDA

View Full Version : challenges 3 questions

gingersmali
03-08-2014, 02:03
I might be being blind but i can't find the answers in the brb/errata.

1st. do wounds still carry over on to the unit champ if he is in a challenge?

2nd. if you have a character like a daemon prince in a challenge and he gets charge by a chariot are the impact hits wasted?

3rd. Can you stomp for overkill in a challenge? if the target is already dead?

deathrain-commander
03-08-2014, 03:17
1) No, but you get overkill points on combat res.
2) Yeah, the impact hits are wasted. They cannot be attacked by any other model during the challenge, and impact hits are basically just bonus attacks that hit automatically (okay there's more to it than that, obviously, but that's it for the purposes of the challenge).
3) Yeah. You have to direct ALL your attacks at the person in the challenge, including stomp, and you can inflict more wounds than it has, so even if it's already dead you can hit it some more. Another example would be if you had attacks that hit at different Initiative steps for...whatever reason (I'm sure there must be some rule that'll do that for you).

bigbiggles
03-08-2014, 06:49
For 3. You lose out on attacks made after the initiative step the combatant died in. So you will usually not get stomps or mount attacks

gingersmali
03-08-2014, 09:15
@ bigbiggles is that for everyone or just ridden monsters?

@ death rain i meant wounds on the unit carry over one the champ, rather than the other way round, should have been more specific. can you over kill the unit but the champ be saved because of his challenge?

thanks for the speedy replies!

FatTrucker
03-08-2014, 10:55
1) wounds don't carry over to a champ or char in a challenge if there aren't enough R&F left to allocate all wounds in H2H combat. This is why if a lone char is in combat with a unit its often best to challenge as the rest of the unit can't attack.

3) attacks are made in initiative steps. If a character is killed in a challenge before the end of the combat then the challenger won't get to stomp or any other attcks that occur after the initiative step in which their opponent died.

King Arthur
03-08-2014, 11:19
For number two aren't impact hits resolved before challenges are issued or am i mistaken.

gingersmali
03-08-2014, 15:43
@ king arther yup, but i was asking about when a challenge was already under way.

Josfer
05-08-2014, 13:43
@ king arther yup, but i was asking about when a challenge was already under way.
In my interpretation impact hits come before the challenge is issued again in the following round, so he can be hit by impact hits and if he survives goes to the challenge again. The excemption for not being able to get attacked is limited to the round of combat the challenge is issued, not until the challenge is resolved. But that's just my interpretation and I can see how some would argue otherwise. Challenge rules are a mess like a lot of GWs rules if you consider things like other tricksters shards/night shroud outside, but in base contact to the challenge, etc.