PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at charged unit?

Merrilin
07-08-2014, 06:57
Hi.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before or if the answer is too obvious, but the following question came up in my gaming group:

After declaring a charge on a unit, can you shoot at it in the shooting phase? If so, do you move the charging unit in base contact first, thereby possibly blocking line of sight for the shooting unit?

russellmoo
07-08-2014, 07:47
A unit that charges cannot shoot. As it will have either failed a charge, and thus not be able to shoot, or it will be in close combat and cannot therefore shoot.

If you are referring to another unit (B) being able to shoot at an enemy unit (E), that was charged by yet another unit(A), then the answer is: yes, as long as the target unit is not in close combat, and you still have line of sight.

To be clear, being the target of a charge does not protect a unit from being shot, however, you should remember that a unit that fails a charge can never shoot- there are units that can get around shooting while marching, or shooting after rallying, but no unit in the game can shoot after failing a charge.

Mr_Rose
07-08-2014, 08:45
Hi.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before or if the answer is too obvious, but the following question came up in my gaming group:

After declaring a charge on a unit, can you shoot at it in the shooting phase? If so, do you move the charging unit in base contact first, thereby possibly blocking line of sight for the shooting unit?

All charges are completed in the movement phase, which is before the shooting phase.
Neither side can shoot at units that are currently engaged in close combat, no matter when that happened.

Simply being declared as the target of a charge does not, however, grant some mystical protection from shooting; if the charging unit fails to reach its target then the target can be shot at later in the turn.

Josfer
07-08-2014, 09:44
if the charging unit fails to reach its target then the target can be shot at later in the turn.
Disclaimer: Normal restrictions still apply.

A unit already in cc isn't magically able to be shot at only because a unit tried to join the combat by charging and fails the charge.

Banville
07-08-2014, 10:49
I think, maybe, the confusion here is in the sequencing. After you declare charges, the chargers are moved before the shooting phase occurs. Therefore, if it's a successful charge, the charged unit cannot be shot at.