PDA

View Full Version : empire 3000 points advice appreciated

freezepunk
09-08-2014, 18:11
the theme of my army is going to be a hard-bitten and rich marienburg mercenary company.

Kapteijn Cornelius van der Fonke
General of the empire
full plate armour
ogre blade
talisman of preservation
enchanted shield
potion of speed 199 points

Wizard Lord
lvl 4 upgrade 200 points

Captain
great weapon
Battle standard bearer
armour of meteoric iron 141 points

Captain
full plate armour
great weapon
warhorse
barding
crown of command
helm of the skaven slayer 138 points

CORE (750)

10 handgunners
marksman with long rifle 120 points

10 handgunners
marksmen with long rifle 120 points

10 handgunners

10 handgunners

9 Knightly orders
inner circle
full command
standard of discipline 270 points

SPECIAL (1300)

30 greatswords
full command
detachment- 10 handgunners 450 points

30 greatswords
full command
detachment- 10 handgunners 450 points

10 huntsmen 80 points

10 huntsmen 80 points

1 great cannon 120 points

RARE (240 points)

1 helblaster volley gun 120 points

this gives a total of 2968 points, leaving me 32 points to play with. i could increase this by dropping a coupla handgunners from the detachments. anyone got any ideas of what i could do with them?

i intend to play my general with one group of greatswords, and my standard bearer and the wizard lord in the other. the remaining captain (with the crown of command) goes with the inner circle knights making them stubborn too.

i think i'll definitely be using lore of life for the wizard as i'll need restore for my greatswords and knights.

any opinions would be welcome as i'm not too sure about the legality and such

woodulikeanother
09-08-2014, 21:47
no warrior priests? what is wrong with you! haha they are very good boost to your units

EvanM
09-08-2014, 22:27
-huntsmen, do you need them not To be archers? If so that's okay
-greatswords, units of 30 are a little light. i'd be concerned that 30 would be less good than 50 or 60 in one unit.
Handgunners, I don't love the long rifles. Aren't they just S4 with the sniper rule? I think it's not worth 30 more points. If you have your mind set, go ahead.

I feel like the mounted captain is a little exposed, do you need Crown of C on him? I'd rather take Reiksguard and have the huntsmen be archers.

Lastly lore of life is okay but I think your army would do better with shadow or heavens maybe, I don't think regrowth is going to make up for having small blocks of greatswords.

Obviously it's a themed list, so maybe you are fine.

freezepunk
10-08-2014, 11:42
thanks for the replies, woodulikeanother and EvanM. you've given me quite a bit to think about. i really like warrior priests, but i like captains with their 'hold the line' rule better.

i agree that my greatswords are a bit light number wise. i think i might decrease my detachments and squeeze a few more greatswords in

i think i need the huntsmen to possibly slow enemy movement and hunt warmachines in turn 1 or 2.

the hochland long rifle is a S4 weapon with the sniper rule. i'm also not convinced they're worth 30 points each just to make enemy wizards paranoid.

reiksguard are another great unit, but they don't fit in with my marienburg theme. i also wanted my knights equipped with great weapons.
the captain with the knights has a 1 plus armour save, so i think he's well protected.

my thinking on magic lore might be a bit defensive, i'm staking a lot on getting regrowth, maybe i should go for one of the flashier, more dangerous lores

EvanM
10-08-2014, 18:44
Like literally, if empire handgunners were 10 pts each and they ALL had hochland long rifles MAYBE it would be worth it. but for one lousy S4 shot that is gonna be hitting on a 7+? yeah right. its not gonna do anything. id rather spend those 30 pts times 4 units on 3 witch hunters to short range pistol snipe characters.

40 greatswords in 2 units would work. horde of 40 with a captain/general is what id do. hold the line + stubborn is good.

huntsmen can be helpful, but the thing is they really should be 10 ish points with BS4 and longbows or something like that.

i understand the theme, just tryiing to help

freezepunk
10-08-2014, 18:47
thank you for replying, EvanM. i've done a bit reorganizing and i think it's looking a lot better.
my revised list:

General of the empire
full plate armour
ogre blade
talisman of preservation
enchanted shield

Wizard Lord
lvl 4 upgrade 200 points

Captain
great weapon
Battle standard bearer

Captain
full plate armour
great weapon
warhorse
barding
crown of command
helm of the skaven slayer 138 points

CORE (750)

30 handgunners
full command
detachment- 10 handgunners

9 knightly orders
inner circle
full command
standard of discipline

SPECIAL (1323)

39 greatswords
full command
scarecrow banner

39 greatswords
full command

10 huntsmen

10 huntsmen

1 great cannon

1 great cannon

RARE (240)

volley gun

volley gun

EvanM
10-08-2014, 23:48
Yeah much better, id like to see how 30 HG + 2x 10 HG deploy on the field, i mean ive never heard of that before.

I think you'll do fine! you always can just make the handgunners separate units of 10 to get more deployment drops and divide fire more, but your strategy could work just as well.

the key to this list is shooting, though, pile on the shots to kill all the chaff and weaken the big blocks. you probably cant win against 2 or more units with a greatsword block at a time

freezepunk
11-08-2014, 11:53
right, final bit of tinkering. i've dropped one unit of huntsmen and three greatswords to get a tooled up warrior priest.

General of the empire
full plate armour
ogre blade
talisman of preservation
enchanted shield

Wizard Lord
lvl 4 upgrade 200 points

Captain
great weapon
Battle standard bearer

Captain
full plate armour
great weapon
warhorse
barding
crown of command
dragon helm 133 points

Warrior Priest
great weapon
armour of silvered steel 115 points

CORE (759)

9 knights
inner circle
great weapons
full command
standard of discipline 270 points

- mounted captain goes here

31 handgunners
full command
detachment - 10 handgunners
detachment - 10 handgunners 489 points

- wizard lord goes here

SPECIAL (1210)

37 greatswords
full command
scarecrow banner 442 points

- general and warrior priest go here

38 greatswords
full command 448 points

- battle standard bearer goes here

10 huntsmen 80 points

RARE (240)

EvanM
11-08-2014, 17:16
Yeah go try that! Looks good! Just keep everything shooting as long as possible

freezepunk
11-08-2014, 19:08
thanks, man! just need to get a few more greatswords and a coupla character models and i'll be ready to go

Sarael
17-08-2014, 12:25
IMO...

TOP and Disp Scroll on Wizard. Place in Handgunners. Lore of Metal (transmutation of gold...) fits thematically, but pick whatever.

I'd drop general, Wizard can lead. Can give him Crown of Comm if needed.

BSB with ranged weapon. Place in Handgunners.

Exchange captains for warrior priests in Greatswords (and Knights, points permitting). Hatred is better. Paint them gold and fill out their points on magic items to make them seem more greedy to fit the Marienburg theme. Could also model them as paymasters.

Take archer detachments for Handgunners, use them as backup Huntsmen in case the Huntsmen fail at their assigned duty, especially since you reduced the number of Huntsmen.

freezepunk
19-08-2014, 18:20
thanks for your opinion, sarael. i like the idea of only having one lord, but i just don't feel comfortable with having an unarmoured general. the leadership 9 is another thing i'm leery of giving up.

i've decided that warrior priests just don't fit with my theme. i could take them as myrmidian priests, but there aren't any models and my conversion skills are lacking.

li've been looking at a lot of army lists and i can't believe how much chaff people are putting into 3000 points, so i've dropped the knights and their captain to go nearly all out shooty.

General of the empire
full plate armour
ogre blade
talisman of preservation
enchanted shield

Wizard Lord
lvl 4 upgrade 200 points

Captain
great weapon
Battle standard bearer

Master Engineer
light armour
repeater pistol 76 points

Master Engineer
light armour
repeater pistol 76 points

CORE (750)

20 handgunners
full command
detachment 10 handgunners

- Wizard Lord goes here

20 handgunners
musician, standard
detachment 10 archers

SPECIAL (1315)

37 greatswords
full command

-BSB goes here

37 greatswords
full command
scarecrow banner
detachment 6 free company

-General goes here

10 huntsmen

10 huntsmen

1 great cannon

1 great cannon

RARE (240)

1 helblaster volley gun

-one engineer goes here

1 helblaster volley gun

-other engineer goes here

that comes to 2997 points

EvanM
20-08-2014, 00:13
Wow going all shooty... jeez that's 80 handgunners! I like it but dayum!

Handgunners should be able to be deployed like this competitively but leave it to GW to overcost them.

I'm sure you'll do fine. I'd just miss my pistoliers if I was yee

russellmoo
20-08-2014, 05:57
I love this list, of course I also play shooty dwarfs with thunderers in core, on occasion so that might explain it. However, I did also like the idea of taking one or two archer detachments to go with the handgunners, as archers are very useful, and would help provide additional mobility to a static list.

freezepunk
20-08-2014, 17:10
yeah, i'm really missing those knights, pistoliers are great for a bit of mobility too. that's a great point about the archers, russellmoo. i think i might've been excessive with the handgunners, ha. i'm going to change two detachments to archers, add two banners to the handgunners to make up my core tax. then i'll have a little bit of movement in my line-up. i'll also have the free company detachment to go after anything that gets behind me.

i agree with you on the points cost, EvanM, handgunners definitely overpriced (and the greatswords too) but i love the models, for both. i really like the idea of raining black powder hell on the enemy and then getting stuck in with the full plate greatswords

EvanM
20-08-2014, 21:24
its just not fair for what they cost and the fact that they cant even rotate a little bit and shoot.

the problem is that rank and file missile units pay a tax for being bodies to throw at the enemy, compared to war machines who deal the same damage without payiong half the points for having those t3 w1 bodies there to die

freezepunk
22-08-2014, 09:24
hopefully i'll be able to keep them shooting longer with my scouts possibly obstructing marching. i also have some cheaper units to use as chaff, cos handgunners as disposable infantry is just too pricey. do you think i'll be able to deploy them 10 by 2, and still have most of them able to hit the same target?

EvanM
22-08-2014, 19:05
10 by too is about as wide as i'd go with them, it's be too hard to aim at the same target otherwise.

Having more chaff would be nice. I always wondered if spearmen in tiny units of 5 could be effectively cheap chaff units

freezepunk
23-08-2014, 10:21
small detachments is the way to go for chaff, i like free company for the extra attack. i plan to use them three by two and see if they can do any damage with their twelve attacks

EvanM
23-08-2014, 15:32
free company are one of the most useless units :( its super sad. but anyway go for it.

archers are good for this but i just found out that i have been playing skirmish rules wrong and the real rules BLOW. so yeah.

i was actually thinking something like:

10 halberdiers
det 5 spearmen
det 5 spearmen

thats 110 pts for 3 chaff units.

freezepunk
24-08-2014, 13:39
the empire line-up would be a lot better if it had some warbeasts in it. warhounds would be great, fast and cheap

EvanM
27-08-2014, 18:11
imagine hunters with dogs. basically like 1 hunter +3-5 dogs would be cool, like how skaven have their rat dart, this would be the empire rat dart

freezepunk
27-08-2014, 20:15
like the 6th ed rules for white wolves

EvanM
28-08-2014, 04:26
With cavalry hammers? I like that too.

freezepunk
28-08-2014, 11:55
made another list, it needed more mobility.

models that i have so far: 60 greatswords - to be increased to 80, 50 handgunners- to go to 60 and 20 free company- i'll pick up another box and use them for my archers. i also have 3 of the artillery pieces, a mordheim freelance knight on foot as my general and the bsb/general set for my bsb.

LORDS AND HEROES (587)

General of the Empire
full plate armour
enchanted shield
talisman of preservation
ogre blade
potion of speed

Captain
Battle Standard Bearer
armour of meteoric iron
great weapon

Myrmidian Warrior Priest
armour of silvered steel
great weapon

Master Engineer
light armour

Master Engineer
light armour

CORE (750)

20 handgunners
detachment- 10 archers

20 handgunners
detachment - 10 archers

10 archers

SPECIAL(1422)

37 greatswords
musician

37 greatswords
musician

1 great cannon

1 great cannon

3 demigryph knights

3 demigryph knights

RARE(240)

1 volley gun

1 volley gun

freezepunk
28-08-2014, 12:14
i intend to play my general and bsb each in their own blocks of greatswords, the engineers in the volley guns. the myrmidian warrior priest will initially join a warmachine and try to give it flaming attacks against units with regeneration and then work his way to the greatswords with the bsb for close combat.

i know i'm extremely magic light, but i'm hoping my priest will be able to get some prayers off 'cos he will have all the power dice to play with. i also felt that the wizard lord was too fragile and expensive

EvanM
29-08-2014, 18:54
The thing is that magic in this game is SO good. its not just about NOT having a piece of the pie that is amazing magic damage and buffs but also that by not taking a wizard you leave yourself with literally 0 magic defense which makes the other guys lvl4 wizard twice as good at least.
if you want to win you HAVE to kill his wizard in the first turn.
fire EVERYTHING att the wizard bunker till its dead.

freezepunk
30-08-2014, 09:21
i think i had a brain fart, trying to do a list without a wizard just doesn't work.

LORDS AND HEROES (646)

General of the Empire
full plate armour
enchanted shield
talisman of preservation
ogre blade
potion of speed

Captain
Battle Standard Bearer
armour of meteoric iron
great weapon

Wizard Lord
level 4 upgrade
van horstmann's speculum

Master Engineer
light armour

CORE (770)

20 handgunners
standard bearer, musician
detachment- 10 archers

20 handgunners
detachment - 10 archers

10 archers

SPECIAL(1462)

37 greatswords
scarecrow banner

37 greatswords
standard of discipline

1 great cannon

1 great cannon

3 demigryph knights

3 demigryph knights

RARE(120)

1 volley gun

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
31-08-2014, 02:27
Wizard needs a dispel scroll, demis should be in units of four, what lore on the wizard?

freezepunk
31-08-2014, 12:01
i'm sure i can wrangle a dispell scroll for the wizard but i don't know where i'll find points for more demigryphs. i could lose a cannon, but ouch.

i'm not sure about what lore to use. i think magic is that unpredictable that i don't want to use any lore that uses scatter dice to hit, so i've narrowed it down to beasts, metal, light, life and heavens

freezepunk
05-09-2014, 16:12
thanks for all the advice and tips, i think this will be my final list:

Van der Fonke's Hedge Knights
Marienburg Free Companies

LORDS(464)

General of the Empire
full plate armour
enchanted shield
talisman of preservation
ogre blade
potion of speed

Wizard Lord
level 4
dispel scroll
van hostmann's speculum

HEROES(217)

Captain
battle standard bearer
armour of meteoric iron
great weapon

Master Engineer
light armour
repeater handgun

CORE(750)

20 handgunners
detachment 10 archers

20 handgunners
detachment 10 archers

10 archers

SPECIAL(1447)

37 greatswords
musician
bsb and wizard lord go here

37 greatswords
standard, musician
standard of discipline
general goes here

3 demigryph knights

3 demigryph knights

1 great cannon

1 great cannon

RARE(120)

1 helblaster volley gun
engineer goes here

my wizard lord will be taking lore of life, i really love the lore attribute, i think the buffs are good, and if you get throne of vines the buffs change from good to fantastic and you can pretty much stop worrying about miscasts allowing you to six dice the dwellers below if you get that.

it also fits my fluff pretty well. my wizard lord will represent the high priest of olovold. olovold is described as the god who taught men fishing and survival in the marienburg fluff, quite druidy, i think. he is also lord of the delta in which marienburg sits. he only has a small cult, mostly of swamp people (who will be represented by my skirmishers, i'll be using the free company sets for them, and my handgunners) with some rich patrons. it's a small cult due to persecution from the cult of mannan, but they still have a temple in suiddock in marienburg.

marienburg is loosely based on amsterdam in the 16th and 17th centuries where it was not extraordinary to see an admiral who'd been promoted from a standard sailor. all my greatswords and demigryph knights are going to represent 'hedge knights', soldiers who've been promoted up the ranks based on ability rather than birth (fits with the republican nature of marienburg). i really like the fluff for marienburg as i can speak afrikaans which is very similar to dutch

i've tried to take as much advice on board as i could, but i still couldn't wangle a warrior priest or any extra demigryphs to put their numbers up to four each :(