PDA

View Full Version : Mangler Squigs Moving into Combat

Frederick
09-08-2014, 20:01
I had an issue come up last night in a game vs. dwarves involving mangler squigs... I'll try and explain the situation as clear as I can.

I had a Night Goblin Horde (~45 NG's remaining) with Skarsnik in it that was fighting in combat against 2 units (both in front), a small dwarf warrior unit and a beefed up dwarf lord (the lord was solo and not part of the warrior unit). Skarsnik and the Lord were locked in a challenge and it looked for sure that Skarsnik was going to die (stupid 5+ regular save on a 275 pt character). But, during my next movement phase I had a mangler squig right next to the combat and it had an easy shot through every unit involved in the combat (My Night Goblin unit, the warrior unit, and the dwarf lord). It should be noted that the path of the mangler would also run right over the challenge between skarsnik and the dwarf lord. Obviously this was ideal because I could hit his dwarf lord without the worry of hitting skarsnik because skarsnik was part of my night goblin unit and therefore would not sustain the mangler squig hits (The regular Night Goblins would).

My opponent claimed that because the units were locked in combat, I could NOT direct the mangler squig to run through them. My question is, is there any sense to this claim? It says clearly in the mangler rules that he moves until he hits any unit (Friend or Foe) and moves through the unit dealing force of destruction hits.

So.... Among these options, which is the correct interpretation?

A) I cannot direct my mangler squig to run through units (Both friend and foe) that are locked in combat.
B) I can direct my mangler through all units in combat, but Skarsnik would take force of destruction hits despite being a part of the Night Goblin unit.
C) I can direct my mangler through all units in combat and Skarsnik would be immune to force of destruction hits because he is a part of the Night Goblin unit while the dwarf lord would take the mangler hits because he is solo.

FatTrucker
09-08-2014, 20:20
The mangler has random movement. Pick a direction and roll your distance. It hits what it hits friend, and foe.

Not sure about the two in a challenge. Normally characters locked in a challenge can't be hit by anything not involved. Since the mangler hits are resolved during the movement phase though not sure it would apply. Both Skarsnik and the Dwarf would take the hits though if its allowed.

Avian
09-08-2014, 20:39
C is the correct answer.

furrie
09-08-2014, 21:09
The mangler has random movement. Pick a direction and roll your distance. It hits what it hits friend, and foe.

Not sure about the two in a challenge. Normally characters locked in a challenge can't be hit by anything not involved. Since the mangler hits are resolved during the movement phase though not sure it would apply. Both Skarsnik and the Dwarf would take the hits though if its allowed.
The characters can't be hit be close combat hits

Tae
10-08-2014, 12:10
C is the correct answer.

This.

Oh, and Skarsnik only has a 6+ save, not a 5+.

Josfer
11-08-2014, 11:01
The characters can't be hit be close combat hits
This is wrong. The rule says you can't attack the challengees during this round of close combat which is explicitly defined as a substep of the close combat phase. If for whatever reason ranged attacks would happen during a close combat round, those couldn't attack the challengees either and (as is the case here) if any CC attacks happen out of a round of close combat, they can hit the challenges. If Impact Hits are at the start of a round of close combat or slightly before is a big question (although they explicitly mention being resolved before challenges), but hits in the movement phase should be out of question.