PDA

View Full Version : Want to start a new army, I'm torn. . .

Armatus
22-06-2006, 12:38
Hello all,

I've been playing 40K for about a year. I initially chose Black Templars because a friend told me that Marines were good for beginners, and I chose Templars, not because I knew anything about them, but because I thought they would be easy to paint. :D

In any event, I am currently wanting to start either a Tyranid or Eldar force. I really like the flavor of both, and if I were loaded, I would merely buy both!
Since, I am not independently wealthy however, I entreat you, dear readers, to help sway my decision.

Couple of things you may (or may not) want to know: The regular opponents I face are Necrons, Marines, Chaos, IG, and Tau. Very rarely an Eldar player will show up. No 'nids in our area apparently. Also, I am only interested in these two forces. I, apparently, do not have the personality trait that appeals to Orky players. ;)

I guess that's enough, and after looking over this, I guess I'm probably in for it, but oh well. :evilgrin:

Oh, thanks in advance!

Smoking Frog
22-06-2006, 13:16
The Eldar are getting a new codex soon, and a revamp of many models as well.

Some link action...

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37254
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37&page=4
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39727

Tyranids on the other hand already have a codex. I don't know how they play since I don't have any.

Eldar are my choice, but I'm biased. Yeah, go Eldar!

Sleek vehicles... manouvrable force... firepower... lots of firepower... pretty colours...

Check out this link too.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38305

Enjoy!

Wraithbored
22-06-2006, 13:21
Well I am also Eldar biased and I'd say go for them, gorgeous tanks, interesting and different acting units, psychic powers and the fastest vehicles in the entire game.

However I am also a Tyranid players. And I do like my gribblies because there you get fearsome monstrosities stridding across the battleflied absorbing hits from lascannons and stuff like that, plus you have the tide of numbers, there's just so many of them, and then there's the horror of the Genestealer.

So you see both armies are very interesting. I'd suggest reading some online fluff and whatever appeals most choose that.

Griffin
22-06-2006, 13:32
Or, you can use the tau to clean out some eldar between your teef if you pick tyranids.

Smoking Frog
22-06-2006, 13:37
What do Nids who digest Tau turn into? Hippies?

WhiteCounsel
22-06-2006, 16:29
I've always liked the 'Nids. If I could start a new army it would definitly be a Tyranid army just because they present alot of really cool options to take. Not to mention the number of scenerio ideas that could come from a 'Nid invasion.

Eldar are good too, however. It really (partly) comes down to the type of army you like to play. If you're really into close combat, Tyranids present the most options. If you like to be a sit back and shoot / run and gun type of army, there are plenty of variations that could allow you to do that with the Eldar.

x-esiv-4c
22-06-2006, 16:30
Only one realy choice....Deathguard.

Mr.terminatorbob
23-06-2006, 01:14
Im not biased on any army but DO NOT start the Flower Sniffing,Pastel colored spandex wearing pansy ELFS!! Nids are much cooler but choose what you want. Nids you spend a lot of money on Paint and glue and less on Eldar but choose what you really want to play. Also play your strentghs.

damz451
23-06-2006, 01:50
Well I am also Eldar biased and I'd say go for them, gorgeous tanks, interesting and different acting units, psychic powers and the fastest vehicles in the entire game.

dark eldar are just as fast >_>, use to be faster untill everyone stole their rules T_T

Smoking Frog
23-06-2006, 04:01
Im not biased on any army but DO NOT start the Flower Sniffing,Pastel colored spandex wearing pansy ELFS!!

Bit of a contradiction there, aye mate ;)

Still envisioning hippies with rending claws and scything talons...

The Nids themselves are quite a powerful army, once you get into close combat especially. They are one of the more unique forces in the way they are built around, IMHO. So really, I don't know, but as I said, I'm biased...

Radical Inquisitor
23-06-2006, 04:59
Eldar hands down, but then I am also rather biased on this topic. They are very different forces however and you should go with whatever suits your playing style best.
Be forwarned that while Eldar can be configured to excel in close combat I have yet to see a good shooty, or even ballanced Nid army.

Warlord Kyle
23-06-2006, 05:05
NIDS ALL THE WAY!!!
easy to paint all uniform paint jobs, minus the random splatter of blood:evilgrin:
my current and first army, im still new but they are great
scare the crap out of everyone and let them waste all their ammuntion on our endless gaunts:D
but if u do decide eldar don't go supper cheap and use more then one starcannon you can but people may punch u:D

MIGHTYPanhead
23-06-2006, 05:16
Depends really,

If you're looking for an army that's fairly forgiving, with relatively (IMO) simple strategies that work, nids are a good option. They also give a huge choice as to what your force looks, and plays like.

Eldar, are (IMO) not as forgiving, but that's not always a bad thing. They also offer a large variety of looks/play styles, but (IMO) less conversion opportunities.

I'm somewhat biased to nids, but I have both.

Final suggestion: if you're not interested in how they play, it boils down to whether you like the organic look, or the sleek mechanical look.

Griffin
23-06-2006, 06:23
Nids - There really isn't another choice.

adreal
23-06-2006, 06:51
well I play nids, but will be doing eldar soon, are you a beginner as nids will help you plearn rules faster (by ignoring some ;))

seriously they are both great armiews with a wealth of information on both, just remember no mastter what one of thwe two you end up playing, you will loose alot of models to the enemy, so it boils down to every casulty dwindling your race even more, or just expendible biomass

Yarick Zan
23-06-2006, 06:56
i say nids, but im also biased against those daisy eaters. but also nids are a pretty good army all and all.

Grey_Knight
23-06-2006, 09:20
I'd say go for 'Nids, they're quite a powerful army, and as many have said, far more forgiving than Eldar are. I think you'd find them more fun! :)

Armatus
23-06-2006, 12:28
Thanks for all the replies. I can appreciate all of your ardor expressed for your armies; I really like them both.

Being a Black Templar player, I already play an assaulty army, so I considered Eldar, to make a more 'shooty' force. I also love the Falcon and Waveserpent models.

On the other hand, no one in my area plays Tyranids, and those MC models are fantastic.

Ahh well, I guess I'll stay on the fence a bit longer. . .Maybe I'll buy an Eldar HQ then a Tyranid HQ, then a troop choice of each...It'll take longer to field a force of each, but then I don't have to choose!

:D

Griffin
23-06-2006, 12:37
Check out the Hive fleet moloch website for some Nid inspiration - Nids can be shooty too.

http://www.hivefleetmoloch.com/

Smoking Frog
23-06-2006, 12:40
@Armatus: That's the best way to do it. :D